Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There's constantly threads popping up saying "I'm so homesick" etc etc but none saying they're not.

Is there anyone else who isn't feeling homesick? When I'm not in the kitchen having a laugh with my flatmates (Yes, most of them are outside of their rooms at day now) I'm also shacken in a small room but plain walls (I haven't bothered to decorate yet), a bed and a long desk. However, not once have I felt homesick and wated to be shacked in my own house/bedroom. I've even called this place "home" ("I'm gonna go back home and...").

I absolutely love living here and being out of the house, free to do what I like (within the obvious restrictions, of course) and generally being away from my home city. I can also have a friend over that day rather than having to check with my mum first. This place already feels very homely.

Anyone else in the same boat?

ReputationRep:
    I did for like ten minutes, then I found out there was a burger king round the corner from my halls, never looked back.

ReputationRep:
    Same here! I went to my proper home last night for the first time, and it just didn't feel like home anymore. As soon as I got back to Edinburgh, it felt like home. :yes: I don't miss anything about my actual home except for the home cooked meals, laundry done for me and having a double bed. :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Same here! I went to my proper home last night for the first time, and it just didn't feel like home anymore. As soon as I got back to Edinburgh, it felt like home. :yes: I don't miss anything about my actual home except for the home cooked meals, laundry done for me and having a double bed. :P:
    I'm going back home home on the 7th for my brother's birthday and I reckon it's gonna feel so weird as I'm now used to way things work here and the routine I go through - wake up, go forwards to en suite, do my business, have a shower, get dressed, check for room keys and go to kitchen to make brekkies.

I wouldn't call this my proper home but it's very homely and if I have to walk across campus in my PJs after locking myself out of my room, security letting me in.

ReputationRep:
    The first evening when I moved in, I didn't know anyone, and being 17 got left in alone when everyone else went out. I was a bit lonely, andwondering why I'd chosen to come here. But from then on, I've figured out the places to go, met up with other mates from school for flat parties and stuff, and basically been too busy to think about "home".

Everyone I've met has been so ace and friendly, and I've met so many new people this week that I can't remember names! (I feel quite rude)

Still, I have a lot of family living around here, so I don't need to worry about getting in touch with my parents if I have any problems. I suppose it'd actually be quite hard for me to get homesick.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not homesick, but I only moved in on Friday morning. I'm about 4 hours away, so it's quite far. But I'm very glad I moved here.

Does anyone else call their uni room their home? It feels quite like home, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I'm not homesick, but I only moved in on Friday morning. I'm about 4 hours away, so it's quite far. But I'm very glad I moved here.

Does anyone else call their uni room their home? It feels quite like home, doesn't it?
    I've said to friends that Im going home soon and such. I have a nice messy room so it definately feels homely.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I'm not at university (I'm at college) but I got some questions.

1) Are you going to always takeaways/go resturants and pubs to eat?
    2) How do you do the laundry, do the facillities cost money?
    3)What's your daily routine including lessons etc?
    4) Will you be studying in your rooms or the library?
    5) Is there a TV?

I just want to know whether living away is for me

I take it you're all using laptops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)

1) Are you going to always takeaways/go resturants and pubs to eat? No
    2) How do you do the laundry, do the facillities cost money? In a machine provided, yes, around £2
    4) Will you be studying in your rooms or the library? Both.
    5) Is there a TV? No.

I take it you're all using laptops? Mostly
    I love being away from home, so far. This is my second attempt at uni, and I'm feeling so much happier about it - I have amazing housemates, a lovely house, and I love Swansea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    I've said to friends that Im going home soon and such. I have a nice messy room so it definitely feels homely.
    You see, my room at home was atrocious. My room here is really tidy so far. This is how I'd like it to be, I think. I'm just making my life how I like it. It's good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I love being away from home, so far. This is my second attempt at uni, and I'm feeling so much happier about it - I have amazing housemates, a lovely house, and I love Swansea
    Im glad you're having fun It's nice to know someone far from home is also happy:o:

So, anyway, what's social policy all about?

ReputationRep:
    It's so awesome, isn't it? You in the Student Village?

ReputationRep:

5) Is there a TV?

1) We've not once eaten out or bought a takeaway. We cook ourselves
    2)Use the laudrette. Yes, it costs money.
    3)Studying starts tomorrow but general routine is wake up, do the toilet business, have a shower, eat.
    4)Mostly my room as I find it easer to read in my own space
    5)Nope

ReputationRep:
    I'm only homesick when I'm ill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    It's so awesome, isn't it? You in the Student Village?
    Nooo, I'm in a private rental with second years - I hated halls so much last year I didn't want to risk it all over again :p: Where are you?

Im glad you're having fun It's nice to know someone far from home is also happy:o:

So, anyway, what's social policy all about?
    It's all about how to use Google to find answers to questions, rather than hijacking threads :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really missing home. I actually call my room home now, and I accidently did it on the phone to my mum and she burst out crying! I've not laughed so hard in ages.

ReputationRep:
    Nooo, I'm in a private rental with second years - I hated halls so much last year I didn't want to risk it all over again :p: Where are you?

It's all about how to use Google to find answers to questions, rather than hijacking threads :yep:
    I'm not hijacking anything, just curious and can't be bothered to use Google, it's far too much work and effort for something that isn't all that important to me.

So, can't you just tell me what it is lol?:p:

Not missing home, just missing some people there...
    I couldn't wait to get out of home tbh :mmm:

ReputationRep:

5) Is there a TV?

1) Nope. I've had a takeaway maybe twice since I've been here, and me and my flatmates went out for a meal once but only because it was free. :P:
    2) There's a laundry room in the accommodation block, £1.50 for a wash, £1 for a dry but that'll vary between facilities.
    3) Get up, shower, have breakfast with whoever is in the flat, go to lecture, home for lunch, chill with flatmates, maybe another lecture, make dinner, decide what to do that night then probably go out. Chuck some food shopping in there, too.
    4) Library, I think. I'd just get distracted by Facebook in my room. :o:
    5) Nope

ReputationRep:
    I never got homesick unless I had problems at uni. For example after about a month in first year I had a couple of course problems, and so I was unhappy for a short time, at which point I started missing home. I had a couple of "what am I doing here?" moments; I remember in induction week I was given a diagnostic German exam and just thought "I don't feel right here"...it was really bizarre, because I settled in really well.

Anyway, everything ended fine - and I made it to third year, so all's good. :proud:

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.