Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vhvhvh)
    I don't think that is the case at all. It is perfectly natural to be homesick. If it is childish and means you have lived a sheltered existence then every single person who has ever left home is a childish person who had led a sheltered life up to that point. Even the greatest hero of Greek literature would be a sheltered kid.
    Being homesick is one thing. Complaining to strangers on the internet that you "can't cope" and are having a breakdown, hugging your stuffed toys for comfort and crying for your mummy is another. I am of course referring to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Don't you think you've come to the conclusion too fast? maybe you will feel home sick later? which would be weird, as people tend to feel home sick first, then settle in lol.

good on you though mate, and keep smiling
    Possibly but I have a bunch of friends here now so it's feeling like home rather than being shacked up in a room holding my knees to my face and rocking back and forth

First lecture today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    House party on Friday (couldn't get into Tooters), Diva's on Saturday and Fresh & Free tonight.
    F&F looked amazing last night! I couldn't get in though - they just wouldn't let me :p:

Hynotist Tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Flat ftw!
    Just you wait until it snows! Cue mass snowball fights between flats from different blocks. And then there's the lovely atmosphere in summer - barbecues, frisbee, studying/sunbathing outdoors in the sun, frequent beach trips out in the Gower... If you walk up the hill behind Hendrefoelan House then you get great views for miles, too.

Watch out for your bikes, though. I remember once in my first term when we had to call the police because some guys from one of the flats at the bottom, and one of my flatmates, had their bikes stolen. The thieves just cut the chains right through. My flatmate for one never saw her bike again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Hynotist Tuesday!
    Come mentally prepared for that... I went to the HypnoNight in my Fresher's Week and it did go a bit too far at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Come mentally prepared for that... I went to the HypnoNight in my Fresher's Week and it did go a bit too far at times.
    Oooh, care to expand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Oooh, care to expand?
    It was just making people do stupid things really. Plus one bit that particularly sticks out is when they hypnotised a guy and told him he had a pet elephant called 'Small', and then they told him to act out he was putting it through a blender, which he did. I just thought that bit was particularly bad taste. It was by a guy who toured (and maybe still does) lots of UK universities each year.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way as you OP, lovely housemates, good social life, the only thing I do miss though is my own bathroom and meals, I have occasionally cooked, but thats about it. As for the bathroom, the less said the better... nearly slipped because of all the water, will have to start using the mops now! It's not wet everyday though, just after everyones had a shower. I try and go in early now, (and I don't spill lots of water), that would be plain rude.. the time seems to wizz by too, scary!

ReputationRep:
    Not homesick at all... been here for a week an a half

ReputationRep:
    Love it here so much I haven't missed home once! Then again I was never homesick on school trips and stuff, so I wasn't suprised when I didn't miss Wales at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetgyal24)
    I feel the same way as you OP, lovely housemates, good social life, the only thing I do miss though is my own bathroom and meals, I have occasionally cooked, but thats about it. As for the bathroom, the less said the better... nearly slipped because of all the water, will have to start using the mops now! It's not wet everyday though, just after everyones had a shower. I try and go in early now, (and I don't spill lots of water), that would be plain rude.. the time seems to wizz by too, scary!
    I have my own en suite :p: The way the floor is angled is the the water from the shower runs down towards the plughole rather than soaks the floor

I've mainly cooked stuff like pizzas and noodles but last night and tonight I did roasted vegetables and chopped chicken. And I don't have food poisoning... yet.

ReputationRep:
    Been here for a month now (roughly) and I don't feel homesick at all. In fact, I feel more at home here than my actual home...
    So I feel the same way as the OP. Cool housemates, love my social life, love the university.. everything's great and so much better than in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm fine, I've moved out now, not planning to move back home.
    I love living away from home, SO much less housework. I don't feel like some loser living in his parents basement now either.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    I did a little from time to time in the first term of first year, and when I went abroad.
    But now I never get the slightest bit homesick; University life is SO much better than home.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.