The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EcstaticMuse
99.9% sure, now, I'll be firming UCL. Honestly visiting just to make sure there's not something off-putting.

ME!!!! :woo: Hopefully the next few months will fly by, though. My summer will be full of angst waiting to see if my visa's approved and figuring out how to get all my junk across the pond. :tongue:

ah cool, where you from?
saw you're choosing between Edinburgh and UCL. Firstly, London is a WAY better place to live then Edinburgh and secondly, UCL is a better university :biggrin: (not that i'm biased or anything :rolleyes:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by coffee-spoons
ah cool, where you from?
saw you're choosing between Edinburgh and UCL. Firstly, London is a WAY better place to live then Edinburgh and secondly, UCL is a better university :biggrin: (not that i'm biased or anything :rolleyes:

I'm from Canada but I live in the U.S. :yep: Haha, and yes! I've started to realise that myself. I've been to London before and fell in love with the city so now I'm going to look at it from the perspective of a future student/resident. ( I actually appreciate the bias, since this is the UCL thread. :smile: ) T-minus 3 days and counting until I'm on the plane!!
I'm from Canada but I live in the U.S. :yep: Haha, and yes! I've started to realise that myself. I've been to London before and fell in love with the city so now I'm going to look at it from the perspective of a future student/resident. ( I actually appreciate the bias, since this is the UCL thread. :smile: ) T-minus 3 days and counting until I'm on the plane!!

haha, well- there are a lot of americans at UCL. My boyfriend studies at UCL and in his accommodation there are quite a few. London is great as you can just get a tube and be somewhere and there are lots of good clubs (typical student thinking here lol)

How Long are you staying for? also, what department will you be studying in?
haha, well- there are a lot of americans at UCL. My boyfriend studies at UCL and in his accommodation there are quite a few. London is great as you can just get a tube and be somewhere and there are lots of good clubs (typical student thinking here lol)

How Long are you staying for? also, what department will you be studying in?

That's good to know! Haha, I'm just so excited to meet with students over there during my visit (I've got a few people from my department willing to show me around!) and also walking around Gower Street and seeing where I want to live (Arthur Tattersall).

I'll be in London for five days, I believe, and then Edinburgh for five, as well, but I think we'll be doing more tourism in Edinburgh than in London. Scandinavian Studies and History of Art. :love: What about you?
That's good to know! Haha, I'm just so excited to meet with students over there during my visit (I've got a few people from my department willing to show me around!) and also walking around Gower Street and seeing where I want to live (Arthur Tattersall).

I'll be in London for five days, I believe, and then Edinburgh for five, as well, but I think we'll be doing more tourism in Edinburgh than in London. Scandinavian Studies and History of Art. :love: What about you?

ah, i'm in London from 21st- 26th darn- otherwise i could have shown you around Campbell house. Try and have a peak at Campbell house east as well, it's lovely- it's RIGHT opposite SSEES so it's easy to find :smile:

Politics and East European Studies at SSEES, can't wait :smile:
ah, i'm in London from 21st- 26th darn- otherwise i could have shown you around Campbell house. Try and have a peak at Campbell house east as well, it's lovely- it's RIGHT opposite SSEES so it's easy to find :smile:

Politics and East European Studies at SSEES, can't wait :smile:

Oh, darn! That's the day I leave for Scotland. Though, it is in the very late afternoon, so maybe we could work something out. We'll be getting UK numbers for our cell phones to make coordinating department intros easier with the people I've contacted. Campbell House is my other favourite for accommodation!

Nice! I'm trying to convince one of my friends who was accepted for that course, too, to go to UCL but he's pretty set on Edinburgh. Also, I might have modules in that department if I choose to do Finnish as my second language. Currently between that and Icelandic. Decisions, decisions!
Oh, darn! That's the day I leave for Scotland. Though, it is in the very late afternoon, so maybe we could work something out. We'll be getting UK numbers for our cell phones to make coordinating department intros easier with the people I've contacted. Campbell House is my other favourite for accommodation!

Nice! I'm trying to convince one of my friends who was accepted for that course, too, to go to UCL but he's pretty set on Edinburgh. Also, I might have modules in that department if I choose to do Finnish as my second language. Currently between that and Icelandic. Decisions, decisions!

haha, Campbell house is my first choice and Arthur tat is my second. :smile:
Edinburgh and London are sooo different. It depends what you're after. Edinburgh is quaint with castles and hills and that kind of thing. Where as London is busy, noisy etc. But i think London has a lot more going for it. I chose London because of the work possibilities. One day i plan to work in 'The City' and you can't do that without work experience really- and It's hard to get work experience outside of London! I live in the middle of the countryside here in England, so i like the thought of being in a City, whereas Edinburgh, although a city, is more quaint and old. Also, can i add that UCL is 4th in the world, just had to slip that in :cool:
haha, Campbell house is my first choice and Arthur tat is my second. :smile:
Edinburgh and London are sooo different. It depends what you're after. Edinburgh is quaint with castles and hills and that kind of thing. Where as London is busy, noisy etc. But i think London has a lot more going for it. I chose London because of the work possibilities. One day i plan to work in 'The City' and you can't do that without work experience really- and It's hard to get work experience outside of London! I live in the middle of the countryside here in England, so i like the thought of being in a City, whereas Edinburgh, although a city, is more quaint and old. Also, can i add that UCL is 4th in the world, just had to slip that in :cool:

Haha! We might end up in the same building, then! :biggrin:

I plan on working in London, too, for a while after graduation so it would be nice to already have my foot halfway in the door, so to speak. Also, a degree from a London uni can do wonders for one's resume! I live in a small town in GA so getting to a big city (apart from Atlanta) would be so nice. I will admit that in the beginning, I was sooo set on Edinburgh but after looking at everything (the course, modules on offer, study abroad opportunities, and general attitude of the people in this thread vs. its equal in the Edi thread), I've completely switched opinions! :cute:

Plus, it's not as though it's difficult to travel to the countryside if ever we wanted to escape the city for a little bit. But yeah, if by any chance our paths cross on the 21st, that'd be neat to meet someone else who plans on going. Around what time do you think you'll get to good old London? I think our plane's at 7:00, if I'm not mistaken.
Haha! We might end up in the same building, then! :biggrin:

I plan on working in London, too, for a while after graduation so it would be nice to already have my foot halfway in the door, so to speak. Also, a degree from a London uni can do wonders for one's resume! I live in a small town in GA so getting to a big city (apart from Atlanta) would be so nice. I will admit that in the beginning, I was sooo set on Edinburgh but after looking at everything (the course, modules on offer, study abroad opportunities, and general attitude of the people in this thread vs. its equal in the Edi thread), I've completely switched opinions! :cute:

Plus, it's not as though it's difficult to travel to the countryside if ever we wanted to escape the city for a little bit. But yeah, if by any chance our paths cross on the 21st, that'd be neat to meet someone else who plans on going. Around what time do you think you'll get to good old London? I think our plane's at 7:00, if I'm not mistaken.

Probably morning or early afternoon. My boyfriend lives at Campbell house, so if we were to meet i could probably show you around the house :smile:

UCL is just... gah... great. It's in a great part of London where you can either go and walk in a park or you can go out clubbing. Plus, the people i've met are amazing. I go down to visit to boyf quite a bit and the people are great- they're not stuck up or act really pompous- they're all really clever, but down to earth and up for a good laugh- and don't lock themselves in their rooms working all day.

Personally, there would be no choice between Edinburgh and UCL- i know i would always pick UCL. But it's probably harder for you, not living in this country. Depends what kind of person you are, i guess.
Probably morning or early afternoon. My boyfriend lives at Campbell house, so if we were to meet i could probably show you around the house :smile:

UCL is just... gah... great. It's in a great part of London where you can either go and walk in a park or you can go out clubbing. Plus, the people i've met are amazing. I go down to visit to boyf quite a bit and the people are great- they're not stuck up or act really pompous- they're all really clever, but down to earth and up for a good laugh- and don't lock themselves in their rooms working all day.

Personally, there would be no choice between Edinburgh and UCL- i know i would always pick UCL. But it's probably harder for you, not living in this country. Depends what kind of person you are, i guess.

Ah, that'd be so awesome! I've had no luck finding anyone at AT to show me around so I might take you up on that if the times work out right. :yep:

You are making me want to go there sooo bad right now! I may firm it the day I visit, if I like it as much as I think I will. I've gotten that vibe of the people there just from what I see on this forum- everybody's really helpful, willing to give advice, etc. Exactly. It was hard enough for me to choose where to apply to, not being there to visit before sending off UCAS, but I'm fortunate enough that my parents are flying out with me before I send out my replies. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't visit! From everything I've seen/heard/read, I think I'd fit in best at UCL. I will confirm this on Thursday the second I make my way to Gower Street. :biggrin:
Reply 2690
Ah, that'd be so awesome! I've had no luck finding anyone at AT to show me around so I might take you up on that if the times work out right. :yep:

You are making me want to go there sooo bad right now! I may firm it the day I visit, if I like it as much as I think I will. I've gotten that vibe of the people there just from what I see on this forum- everybody's really helpful, willing to give advice, etc. Exactly. It was hard enough for me to choose where to apply to, not being there to visit before sending off UCAS, but I'm fortunate enough that my parents are flying out with me before I send out my replies. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't visit! From everything I've seen/heard/read, I think I'd fit in best at UCL. I will confirm this on Thursday the second I make my way to Gower Street. :biggrin:

:colonhash: aw yea
Original post by catsss
:colonhash: aw yea

:tux: (Pretend it's a puffin. Use that viking imagination!)

also, UCL is a 'global' university. So a lot more diverse. Whereas Edinburgh doesn't even like taking English students lol. There are rumours that they favour Scottish students SOOO much more over English students. Silly university.
Reply 2693
Original post by hunter'sdaughter
I'm really liking Ramsay but I'm also liking the intercollegiate halls aswell, so I'm trying to decide between them all :biggrin:
How about you?

Hahahah I'm really torn between all of them as well!! I think I might be a little bit too fussy. I want a hall that is close to the main campus, with all the facilities (en suite bathroom VERY important) as well as generally pretty.

I suppose that's asking too much though eh? :biggrin:
also, UCL is a 'global' university. So a lot more diverse. Whereas Edinburgh doesn't even like taking English students lol. There are rumours that they favour Scottish students SOOO much more over English students. Silly university.

Silly, silly Edinburgh. :tongue: Not long now! I really do have a countdown going to when I leave for the airport this week. It's quite sad/understandable/exciting.
Original post by Poobington
Hi thanks for the advice, I had a good look at both places, and initially I thought going to Reading and getting away from London would be a good idea, but I went to see UCL again, and I can't help but love it. I've lived in London all my life thus far, and to be honest I don't mind staying! :smile:

At the moment, I've been getting quite a lot of stick from my mates, saying I haven't applied for a very competitive course, but quite frankly It's something i have a keen interest in, and I couldn't care less what other people think. (sorry about the rant haha)

It sounds like they're jealous you're going to a prestigious university. UCL is UCL and is doesn't do 'doss' courses, so they haven't really got a leg to stand on. It's a competitive university for all courses. You should do what you want to do - it's your future after all.
I have officially firmed UCL and my accommodation form is being sent off tomorrow. I'm so excited :woo: :woo: :woo:
Original post by hunter'sdaughter
I have officially firmed UCL and my accommodation form is being sent off tomorrow. I'm so excited :woo: :woo: :woo:

Congratulations!!!! Hopefully I can join in after Friday. :smile:
Original post by LornaSandison1
It sounds like they're jealous you're going to a prestigious university. UCL is UCL and is doesn't do 'doss' courses, so they haven't really got a leg to stand on. It's a competitive university for all courses. You should do what you want to do - it's your future after all.

I guess you're right! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 2699
Got Rejected :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending