The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by lemonade789
Yeah, I'm doing Further Maths and I'm predicted an A* in it, so i'm quite confused right now :s-smilie:

Yep I'm guessing they had an GCSE 9A*s filter then :/... stupid but with those grades you should have a good shot at your other choices
(edited 13 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Ray_Han
Yep I'm guessing they had an GCSE 9A*s filter then :/... stupid but with those grades you should have a good shot at your other choices

thanks mate :biggrin: and you've got a huge shot for your own choices :wink:
Reply 422
Original post by lemonade789
thanks mate :biggrin: and you've got a huge shot for your own choices :wink:

Thanks :smile:, I just wish economics wasn't so competitive, when people are already getting offers from places like Bristol and Warwick for other subjects.
Reply 423
That is just for economics, then? Not a general UCL rule?
Original post by Ray_Han
I heard something last year about a 9A* cut off at GCSE and that seems to be in effect this year. Still I am shocked at the calibre of candidates that were rejected today- there was another candidate with 8A* at GCSE and 5 As at AS, and I think someone else with A*A*Aa prediction and 7A* at GCSE. Do you do further maths btw, because they might have marked you down if you don't?

yeah, I'm A*A*Aa prediction and 7A* at GCSE and I got my rejection letter today. I don't feel so hard done by considering the quality of other rejectees I've seen on this forum.

damn. Applied for Cambridge and LSE too, probably even more competitive that ucl? lol looks like i'm settling for manchester or cardiff - not that I'm disappointed about that though, y'hear
I'm bricking it then with my shoddy GCSEs! This thread is scary, sorry guys who didn't get in. Did they give reasons?
Reply 426
Original post by greebo-man
yeah, I'm A*A*Aa prediction and 7A* at GCSE and I got my rejection letter today. I don't feel so hard done by considering the quality of other rejectees I've seen on this forum.

damn. Applied for Cambridge and LSE too, probably even more competitive that ucl? lol looks like i'm settling for manchester or cardiff - not that I'm disappointed about that though, y'hear

I think you have a shot at LSE and Cambridge. It's just a case of different universities using different criteria. LSE also look at GCSEs but I doubt they would reject you with 7A*s.
Reply 427
Guysss you've made me feel so stupid for hoping for a place in UCL with my GCSEs.
I'm predicted A*AAb though
It's stupid they're looking at GCSE's. What if you went to a really rough state school? ...I don't think it's fair tbh.
Original post by Sawasdee
Guysss you've made me feel so stupid for hoping for a place in UCL with my GCSEs.
I'm predicted A*AAb though

sorry if I inadvertently diss your degree choice, but if it isnt as competitive as economics, you probably don't need to worry too much about GCSEs.

Just pissed off cause I would have loved to have gone to UCL and friends are applying for courses like ABB.

guttttttttt'd
Oh yeah and is there a source that confirms this thing about GCSE for economics? I got the best by far in my school, does that mean nobody from my school is qualified to do this degree? lol
Reply 431
Original post by greebo-man
Oh yeah and is there a source that confirms this thing about GCSE for economics? I got the best by far in my school, does that mean nobody from my school is qualified to do this degree? lol

You're perhaps in the best position to get an official source for their admissions policy. Ask them for detailed feedback, and if they give you something vague like 'you application wasn't as academically strong' ask them to be more specific.
My application has been sent! I know it's going to be a straight up rejection from UCL, but oh well.
Rejected by UCL L100 with 3A*s and 2As prediction including A* prediction in FM.....:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Just got rejected for L100. Bit disappointed, I'm not gonna lie. 10A* at GCSEs from a crap state school, A* already in A-level Maths and predicted 3 more A*s. It's just funny that they would say "Sorry but we feel like you might not have a good enough academic background". Not really sure who they are looking for to be honest.
Reply 435
I know exactly how you feel, I got rejected for L100 earlier today. Just really shocked to be honest, I wasn't expecting to get in or anything, but to be rejected so early...
I just don't know what sort of candidate they're looking for, I got 9A*s 1A at GCSE, 4As at AS, and predicted 2A*s 1A. I'm just really confused as to why so many good applicants are being rejected
Guys I'm so sorry to hear about all these rejections! Did they say it was your PS, subjects etc.? Some seriously good grades here :/
Reply 437
Ok, this blows my 9A* theory out of the water. Try and get feedback because getting rejected with those grades on the basis of 'weak academics' is ridiculous
Yes, I have emailed them asking for some specific feedback for the rejection. I mean, I don't want to seem arrogant but my grades were all more than enough to get in if we just take the offers they do give out. I feel like it could only have been the Personal Statement for whatever reason.
Reply 439
Anyone applying for ESPS? Any decisions yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending