Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahblah16)
    Applied on the 4th of October! And I applied for French on its own. What did you get for your A levels?

You might not need an interview even if you are applying pre-a level. I got a conditional offer to study french and had no interview. I do IB, but I doubt it makes a difference! Hang in there! (oh and I applied 2nd October)

ReputationRep:
    nobody is applying for Physics/Astrophysics ??? (

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liliscarlet10)
    You might not need an interview even if you are applying pre-a level. I got a conditional offer to study french and had no interview. I do IB, but I doubt it makes a difference! Hang in there! (oh and I applied 2nd October)
    Oo for French on its own?! And I'm doing it at A level now. Congrats by the way! What was the offer and did you get emailed or get a letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou12)
    I've applied to UCL for Biochemistry, KCL for Biochem and Pharmacology, and Queen Mary for Biochem. I really want to study in London
    Yourself?
    I have applied to Bath and Southampton for Pharmacology. Warwick and Imperial for Biochemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for electronic and electrical engineering H601

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CZephyr)
    OMG CONGRATS!! hehe I thought UCL's life sciences department hibernated or something :P
    Eeeeek! lol I still havn't heard anything, but I hope I do soon, even if it is a rejection.
    Thanks and don't worry about it Im sure you'll be fine, UCL is nototriously slow at responding to students particularly in popular courses.

ReputationRep:
    Oo for French on its own?! And I'm doing it at A level now. Congrats by the way! What was the offer and did you get emailed or get a letter?
    Yeah french on its own! I just got an email from UCAS on Tuesday to say it had been updated and the reply came up. I'm very pleased, good luck. Let me know if you hear, it's so uncommon to find fellow french-ers?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou12)
    Hey! I've applied for Pharmacology MSci at UCL too! I got a letter in the post today inviting me to an interview/open day on 15th December i'm nervous now :eek:
    Me too! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any offers for Linguistics yet? I got an e-mail today saying they'll keep my application until the end of January then come to their decision.. I'm hoping I haven't been blacklisted or something..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpaceCaptain)
    Has anybody got any offers for Linguistics yet? I got an e-mail today saying they'll keep my application until the end of January then come to their decision.. I'm hoping I haven't been blacklisted or something..
    i've heard nothing, really scared now you guys are getting interview invites and at least updates!

keeping your app till jan sounds fair enough though, linguistics is getting more popular by the year so they'll probably want to compare everyone's together. good luck chuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayjaybird33)
    Just got invited to the Linguistics open day on December 6th!

They said "Please note that we expect to make an offer to all applicants who attend our Open Day"

:woo:

But I can't go.. I'm in America. Which means that I have to talk to them over the phone.. :yikes:
    boo, i want one! hope i'll hear SOMETHING from those guys soon, an offer/interview would probably make my life. i'm rationalising things by reminding myself i'm always at the end of the alphabet and did after all send my application at nearly midnight on the oxbridge deadline.

practise your saucy telephone voice :rolleyes:

and guess what?? york are making offers now, got one for AAB about 10 secs ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kobie)
    boo, i want one! hope i'll hear SOMETHING from those guys soon, an offer/interview would probably make my life. i'm rationalising things by reminding myself i'm always at the end of the alphabet and did after all send my application at nearly midnight on the oxbridge deadline.

practise your saucy telephone voice :rolleyes:

and guess what?? york are making offers now, got one for AAB about 10 secs ago
    wow this is scary!!! omg I applied on the 15th of October to meet the oxbridge deadline and I AM ALWAYS LAST ON THE SCHOOL ROLL.
    HAHAHAHAHA.
    Oh well, I'm sure they'll get to us...eventually :P
    And congrats on the York offer? What? Why are they making offers so late in the night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hawflo)
    Me too! Good Luck
    Thankyou! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyhalsall)
    Hello hello physicist!
    Yes, i have. I applied (F300, with the idea to get onto the F303[need to achieve grades worthy of 2.1 in first year]) Oct 15th, acknowledged on Oct 19th, then invitation to an interview-less open day in february. People i know that have applied later has been given open days earlier, and they stop open days as late as march time. The letter (via post, not email/ucas) implies that iv already got the offer but the open day is compulsory before i recieve an offer (a sneaky chance to show off their university so i reject oxford... not gonna happen >.<). What are your grades like?
    GCSE - 1xA* 3xA 6xB 1xC
    AS - AABB (Maths Phys Bio Chem)
    A2 predictions - A* A* A (Maths Phys Bio)

Hopefully youll see my grades arent that fantastic and iv managed to get an offer, so goodluck to you =D
    It should be fine. The country is in dire need for physicists, its one of the most employed degree. Only 10% of graduated physicists are unemployed and it can be as high as 50% for biology.
    Hehe thanks, App was sent off Nov 15th, acknowledged Nov 17th but nothing else. I ticked the "no post" box as I live in Spain, so I wonder if they will still do it via email.

GCSE 3A* 4A 2B 2C
    AS AACC (Maths Physics Chem Spanish) - also have an AS Further Maths to do
    A2 Pred. A*AA (Maths Phys Chem)

So we're pretty similar.

UCL is where I want to go so hoping for the best *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    I know, finally another French-er haha. I am completely obsessed with French so couldn't do another language as I felt I'd be missing out on some modules haha. Where else are you applying? UCL is my 2nd choice but I've heard so much bad stuff about the language department lately I'm really worried- apparently there have been drastic changes that have made the teaching bad Still I'm so jealous I really really want an offer. Sorry what were the conditions?
    That's 3 people in the thread who have had language offers without interview so that's good- I'll either get a rejection or an offer straight away. What AS grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? And have you already done your A levels?
    I do IB so they asked for 36 points (below what they state in the prospectus) with a 6 in french which I think is an A at A-level whereas I'm hoping for a 7 which is an A*. I am doing my exams in May so it's just a conditional offer although I did AS french when I was 16 alongside GCSEs and got an A.

I wouldn't worry about the department it's probably just rumour, I hear it's very very good for languages with some great French university connections! I'm not sure on my second choice it's definitely between UCL and Durham but their offers are the same so that will be a tricky choice when then time comes...

and yes I live for French too, thought I was the only one! and I suppose if you applied later then it's likely they'll respond later so don't panic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FruitsPunchSamurai)
    Just to inform those waiting ->A friend of mine applying for computer science got invited for an open day on 1st December. He applied on the Oxbridge deadline.

I wish the physics department would hurry up The wait is traumatizing.
    Feckin' Amen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    Hehe thanks, App was sent off Nov 15th, acknowledged Nov 17th but nothing else. I ticked the "no post" box as I live in Spain, so I wonder if they will still do it via email.

GCSE 3A* 4A 2B 2C
    AS AACC (Maths Physics Chem Spanish) - also have an AS Further Maths to do
    A2 Pred. A*AA (Maths Phys Chem)

So we're pretty similar.

UCL is where I want to go so hoping for the best *fingers crossed*
    Where abouts in Spain, I live in Marbella. And good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antantoon)
    Where abouts in Spain, I live in Marbella. And good luck with your application
    lo there,

Down the coast in Almuñecar, know it?

How long you been living here?

ReputationRep:
    Oops sorry you said before you were doing IB I just forgot. Ah yes French is just so wonderful I'm so excited about studying it at Uni. What's your favourite aspect? I love literature and film.Do you put any books on your personal statement?

I'm applying to Oxford so I mentioned quite a few that I'd be willing to discuss but umm well my favourite literature is post-war feminist existentialist stuff like Les Mandarins - de Bauvoire, La Place - Ernaux, Un Certain Sourire - Sagan.

I mentioned Baudelairean poetry and some Sartre that I've read. Its definitely literature for me although I love a bit of Truffaut and Claire Denis. (this is probably the saddest post I shall ever write) But more than anything I love french thought, so hopefully I can pick up some modules on that.

How about you? Any ideas on for your year abroad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    lo there,

Down the coast in Almuñecar, know it?

How long you been living here?
    Yeah I know it, Ive been living there for 15 years :eek: lol
    you?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.