Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooner231)
    :p:

I unfortunately haven't read either of those two... I'd say I will, but my "to read" list/group/behemoth feels like it can't get any bigger haha
    I mentioned The Road and compared it to King Lear, something about the supposed death of fiction (found someone who said it was dying and tried to kill their argument) and then the symbolism of the nightingale through poetry and its classical links (Barnfield, Coleridge, Keats). And then The Shadow of The Wind... and some others
    Oh I know how you feel, people keep mentioning things, I get interested, and one thing leads to another.. and suddenly I have a reading list longer than my arm :eek:
    I loved The Shadow Of The Wind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkatee)
    Oh I know how you feel, people keep mentioning things, I get interested, and one thing leads to another.. and suddenly I have a reading list longer than my arm :eek:
    I loved The Shadow Of The Wind!
    So so so so so so so so so so so good. :woo: I really want to do it as part of my spanish A2 but our teacher is a bit of a stubborn fail so we're being forced to do como agua para chocolate. Which I dislike. A lot.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firaila)
    You're applying to four London unis, you must really wanna live there
    Yeah <3 I love London!
    But more important, I love the Uni's!
    wanna get out of this small town :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeBeesley)
    I sent mine on the 24th September and nothing yet from anywhere :/

I applied quite late last year, in January, so I got things through quite quickly, but some universities didn't get back to me til quite late in March.

I got rejected after interview, but there were certain circumstances that I felt contributed to this that were out of my control. I explained this to UCL, but they'd already given out all their offers. They encouraged me to reapply this year, and I know that UCL is the university for me, and I can't imagine studying anywhere else, so I've taken the year out to reapply
    Oh that's strange... I don't think everywhere actually does give out acknowledgments? Possibly UCL starts a bit later perhaps.

Oh how come applied so late?
    reckon I could get an offer/rejection in the next month?

Oh well could luck this year! I do hope you get in :] What did it for you with UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    Oh that's strange... I don't think everywhere actually does give out acknowledgments? Possibly UCL starts a bit later perhaps.

Oh how come applied so late?
    reckon I could get an offer/rejection in the next month?

Oh well could luck this year! I do hope you get in :] What did it for you with UCL?
    Possibly not everywhere, but where I applied last year did (UCL, Exeter, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester). It could be that they're waiting until the oxbridge deadline to choose the first batch for interview.

I wasn't completely on the ball with it last year and the idea that "I have til January" took over. Also the school wasn't very forceful in getting the applications sent out early.

It's hard to say. If you get an interview, then they normally start in November and last through to March, but as you've applied early you would be likely to be in one of the first batches of interviews. However if you're unlucky and don't get an interview I doubt they'd keep you hanging on for ages, but I'm not too sure on that. But I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a firm reply within the next month. It took about two weeks after interview for them to get back to me.

Thank you I really hope so too! It's definitely been the right decision for me to do this to try and get it. What did it? Well, everything about it really! With the Russian aspect, it would be at SSEES, which is one of the leading centres for that area, and the amount of resources is just phenomenal. The German department is also consistently highly ranked. Also, London in general sold it for me too. Before going to interview I hadn't really considered going to London properly due to the major financial costs, but going to London and experiencing it from a student point of view (I stayed with my friend who goes to LSE) it was just amazing. So I decided that UCL was definitely where I saw myself for the next 4 years.

Good luck with your application too! You never know! Might bump into each other at UCL!

ReputationRep:
    Possibly not everywhere, but where I applied last year did (UCL, Exeter, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester). It could be that they're waiting until the oxbridge deadline to choose the first batch for interview.

I wasn't completely on the ball with it last year and the idea that "I have til January" took over. Also the school wasn't very forceful in getting the applications sent out early.

It's hard to say. If you get an interview, then they normally start in November and last through to March, but as you've applied early you would be likely to be in one of the first batches of interviews. However if you're unlucky and don't get an interview I doubt they'd keep you hanging on for ages, but I'm not too sure on that. But I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a firm reply within the next month. It took about two weeks after interview for them to get back to me.

Thank you I really hope so too! It's definitely been the right decision for me to do this to try and get it. What did it? Well, everything about it really! With the Russian aspect, it would be at SSEES, which is one of the leading centres for that area, and the amount of resources is just phenomenal. The German department is also consistently highly ranked. Also, London in general sold it for me too. Before going to interview I hadn't really considered going to London properly due to the major financial costs, but going to London and experiencing it from a student point of view (I stayed with my friend who goes to LSE) it was just amazing. So I decided that UCL was definitely where I saw myself for the next 4 years.

Good luck with your application too! You never know! Might bump into each other at UCL!
    Yeah, I haven't received all my acknowledgements yet, I just think they're not in the process yet.

Ahh haha, I was thinking a bit like that, but I didn't want to risk anything :P I'm actually the first to apply, which I did a week ago and still no one else has! :P:

Ahh well the thing is, I don't have interviews for Law... But I still have to take a law test which i'm doing in Nov... and I meant offers/rejections in general? Or do most of them come after xmas?

Yeah, going to UCL would be amazing... if I get an offer I may cry :jive:
    ahh what was LSE like when you went? UCL/LSE are my no. 1's atm! I couldn't decide right now and won't even think of deciding until I know whether I got an offer :P:! I would be so happy to get into any of my choices! Yeah, may see you around haha D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    Yeah, I haven't received all my acknowledgements yet, I just think they're not in the process yet.

Ahh haha, I was thinking a bit like that, but I didn't want to risk anything :P I'm actually the first to apply, which I did a week ago and still no one else has! :P:

Ahh well the thing is, I don't have interviews for Law... But I still have to take a law test which i'm doing in Nov... and I meant offers/rejections in general? Or do most of them come after xmas?

Yeah, going to UCL would be amazing... if I get an offer I may cry :jive:
    ahh what was LSE like when you went? UCL/LSE are my no. 1's atm! I couldn't decide right now and won't even think of deciding until I know whether I got an offer :P:! I would be so happy to get into any of my choices! Yeah, may see you around haha D
    Ahhh, I see. Uhmm, well it's a bit of a different ball game this year, because places are becoming more competitive, universities may wait until the january deadline and look at them all at the same time, I think Exeter does this, as they didn't reply to me for what seemed like ages! It's hard to know really!

I didn't go see LSE, they don't do my course, but I have my friend there, and she and all her friends absolutely love it there. It's a fantastic university!

Yeah, I'm trying to not set my heart too much on UCL, just in case! But fingers crossed anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Username: steffanie
    Course: Law
    Planned Entry: 2011

eeeek, it's only been 2 days since I sent off my UCAS and I'm already in the habit of checking track ridiculous amounts of times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)

eeeek, it's only been 2 days since I sent off my UCAS and I'm already in the habit of checking track ridiculous amounts of times
    Everyone does this. :p:

But don't worry, with your academics, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Everyone does this. :p:

But don't worry, with your academics, you'll be fine!
    Ahh, not sure about my LNAT though
    I did try to not obsessively go on track, but it was all downhill after I found out they had an app as well, oh dear

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I see. Uhmm, well it's a bit of a different ball game this year, because places are becoming more competitive, universities may wait until the january deadline and look at them all at the same time, I think Exeter does this, as they didn't reply to me for what seemed like ages! It's hard to know really!

I didn't go see LSE, they don't do my course, but I have my friend there, and she and all her friends absolutely love it there. It's a fantastic university!

Yeah, I'm trying to not set my heart too much on UCL, just in case! But fingers crossed anyway!
    Yeah I guess... I reckon next year will be even more competitive so I really wanna get a place this year... Ah I seee, that makes sense... Not hoping on get anything from UCL till after November so realistically probs january +.

Ah yeah getting a place from LSE would also be amazing! I went on an open day and just loved it!
    Same, not gonna hope too much, just see what happens

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Natural Science at UCL :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Applying for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahblah16)
    When did you find out!?
    It seems that the Science departments at all universities are being really quick. Some of my Sciency friends have already got offers. The language departments on the other hand seem to be taking it easy
    I received the email about two hours ago. So happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    I received the email about two hours ago. So happy.
    Congratulations! And unlike Oxbridge they don't interview nearly everyone so you're in with a good chance! Did they give you a date?
    Oh and did they send you an email confirming that they've received your application or did they just send you one inviting you to interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    I have an interview for Natural Science at UCL :woo:
    Soory to be nosey but what were your predicted grades, i might be aplying for natural sciences!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! And unlike Oxbridge they don't interview nearly everyone so you're in with a good chance! Did they give you a date?
    Oh and did they send you an email confirming that they've received your application or did they just send you one inviting you to interview?
    Mine is on Thursday the 28th. And yes, I did send them an email confirming that I would be attending :o:

(Original post by SmartFool)
    Soory to be nosey but what were your predicted grades, i might be aplying for natural sciences!
    I am a post A level student who will be resitting this January. My predicted grades are ABB in Bio, Chem and Physics with A*B already achieved in maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)

so surprised you are not applying to LSE?! :O

ReputationRep:
    Of October? And no I mean did they send you an email confirming your application before inviting you to interview?
    basically like an acknowledgement email?

ReputationRep:
    Of October? And no I mean did they send you an email confirming your application before inviting you to interview?
    Of October, which is only two weeks from today! As in acknowledgment? No, I didn't receive an acknowledgment from UCL beforehand. I didn't know they received my application until they emailed me today, inviting me for an interview. My application was sent on the 29th btw.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.