Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Talybont South and I've clearly landed in the 'party house' (I have actually heard people call it that), which is the last thing I wanted-partying in the kitchen at 4 in the morning (not so bad in itself, sound proofing is pretty good as long as the door is closed although blasts of noise when people open it is not good) while some eejit plays football in the corridor accompanied by lots of screaming. I was up for gritting my teeth and joining in to begin with, but I just seem to get blanked if I go into the kitchen; it's clear I am totally out of place and I am not having fun.

And this is after they've gone out (lovely quiet period where I actually got some sleep), come back and cleaned up the party from earlier where half the people in our building seemed to be in our flat. :rolleyes:

I only got here at 10 o'clock this morning (or should that be yesterday? After spending the whole of Friday travelling and very little sleep) and already I can just tell this is going to turn into my worst nightmare. I'm so tired I feel ill, and while all my flatmates seem like really nice people, they're all 19 (I'm 23 in Dec) which makes me feel even more out of place. They're into the whole 'let's go crazy and get drunk and go clubbing' thing which I've been and done (and never liked it anyway).

I think as I speak it might be quietening down, but I'm seriously considering swapping halls/flats whatever asap, I don't know if I can even stand to give it a few weeks. Has anyone got a quiet boring flat/halls they would gladly swap for somewhere more 'lively' (either in Talybont south, or someone who'll enter into the agreement to help shift each other's stuff)?

If you find someone to swap with will the residence office sort it out for you? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lol, i thought the thread title was 'Anyone want to swap balls'...

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation, and want to move out of Taly South to another hall, PM me if anyone is interested in swapping

ReputationRep:
    I heard yesterday that you have to apply to your residences manager (Reception) or something if you wanna swap. And that nobody is allowed until 7th october ish. I don't think you can just find someone and swap, the uni has to sort it.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard it's kind of loud and partyish everywhere at the moment. It might just be the initial "WE'RE FINALLY AWAY FROM HOME AND CLASSES HAVEN'T STARTED YET SO LET'S GET DRUUUUUNK" mentality.

I think maybe give it a little longer, it might calm down once lectures start.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time so far though. I know how you feel about the age gap, my flatmates are 19ish and I'm 23. I don't know... obviously you know what's best for you. But I think it's worth just giving it a bit longer. Have you made any friends yet, ie people from other flats or anything?

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually feeling better now. I was very ill this morning, but I wrapped up warm and forced myself out for a walk in the freshair and once I got to the park with the sun out I felt almost immediately better. Went to tescos for a sugary drink, and been to the union to get my ID and had some food and almost immediately was cured (although my ID photo is a shocker! :eek: ).

So hopefully given a bit of time it won't be so bad. I think it was just first initial shock of getting here after a very stressful journey and being thrown straight into party central.

Will invest in some ear plugs, and I have an induction meeting Tuesday so hopefully will meet some people on my course that are more on my wavelength rather than the whole pre-drink and then go to a club thing (I just want to go to the pub for a few beers ). Half the trouble is everyone's always talking about stuff I wasn't here for, or people I don't know because they've all been here longer, and I can't get into the conversation.

Feeling more optimistic though, and now I've been for a walk around the area a bit more confident to go places by myself, so might check out the social centre later or go down to The Taf at the union, even if it's by myself.

ReputationRep:
    If anybody needs I a quiet place just move in with us. We're at 17 Senghennydd Road, close to Students Union, close to Humanities, close to everywhere but quiet. At the moment there are 3 rooms left. So far we're only guys but we desperately want some girls to change things up a bit. We're an international house: Germany, Nigeria, Botswana, Bangladesh, Dubai and Greece. Except for OT from Botswana we're all Postgrads so if any Fresher likes it really quiet (although we have a good climate in the house and go out together) than try and get transfered to us . Rooms are decent though you won't have a ensuite bathroom. It's shared but we guys would take extra care to keep it clean (communal areas are cleaned every week by a cleaner). Other than that everything is pretty much in good shape, rooms have a good size and like I said the atmosphere is good... so hop along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    I'm in Talybont South and I've clearly landed in the 'party house' (I have actually heard people call it that), which is the last thing I wanted-partying in the kitchen at 4 in the morning (not so bad in itself, sound proofing is pretty good as long as the door is closed although blasts of noise when people open it is not good) while some eejit plays football in the corridor accompanied by lots of screaming. I was up for gritting my teeth and joining in to begin with, but I just seem to get blanked if I go into the kitchen; it's clear I am totally out of place and I am not having fun.

And this is after they've gone out (lovely quiet period where I actually got some sleep), come back and cleaned up the party from earlier where half the people in our building seemed to be in our flat. :rolleyes:

I only got here at 10 o'clock this morning (or should that be yesterday? After spending the whole of Friday travelling and very little sleep) and already I can just tell this is going to turn into my worst nightmare. I'm so tired I feel ill, and while all my flatmates seem like really nice people, they're all 19 (I'm 23 in Dec) which makes me feel even more out of place. They're into the whole 'let's go crazy and get drunk and go clubbing' thing which I've been and done (and never liked it anyway).

I think as I speak it might be quietening down, but I'm seriously considering swapping halls/flats whatever asap, I don't know if I can even stand to give it a few weeks. Has anyone got a quiet boring flat/halls they would gladly swap for somewhere more 'lively' (either in Talybont south, or someone who'll enter into the agreement to help shift each other's stuff)?

If you find someone to swap with will the residence office sort it out for you? :confused:
    I was in the same situation in the same hall. I ended up in a bad way so if you can move then you definitely should. There are bound to be some people who got stuck in a quieter hall when their preference was a "party" atmosphere, stick some flyers up.

Anyway if you want to talk you can PM me, I know all too well how you feel x

ReputationRep:
    wait till the 6th of october and then you can apply for a transfer though you have to pay £20 to get on the list and arent even guaranteed a transfer.
    thats what im gonna do as i desperately want and en suite ...

ReputationRep:
    You're not actually allowed to swap, you know. You'd have to pretend to be each other for the entire year (i.e. you'd be committing fraud) and by effectively subletting your rooms to each other you'd be breaking the Residences Agreement and risk being chucked out of halls.

ReputationRep:
    At your unis did you fill out any sort of questionnaires regarding what sort of people you would prefer to live with.
    Smoker/Non Smoker
    Party Animal/Quiet people

And this is after they've gone out (lovely quiet period where I actually got some sleep), come back and cleaned up the party from earlier where half the people in our building seemed to be in our flat.

ReputationRep:
    No, we didn't. The only preference you can express is whether you want to live in a mixed or non-mixed flat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat but my flatmates understand that I'm not going to want to go out every night and they are fine. It's just the pre-drinking that annoys me because even I never used to do that and that's when its gets a bit raucous. They even understand the age gap which is cool (18/19 and I'm 23).

However, as I have said on a previous thread, feel free to PM me, anyone, who just wants to go for a quiet (ha! Not all the time I hope) drink in The Taf or something. There's plenty of quieter places in Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh. Im a fresher in senghennydd hall so all is quiet
    But ive discovered clubbing is actually ****... its so freaking boring... i just want a drink and a conversation cause my flatmates dont talk much english... Haha!
    Sooo glad im not in taly though... i may have died already... haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 032bbabbijl)
    Yeahh. Im a fresher in senghennydd hall so all is quiet
    But ive discovered clubbing is actually ****... its so freaking boring... i just want a drink and a conversation cause my flatmates dont talk much english... Haha!
    Sooo glad im not in taly though... i may have died already... haha!
    Well me and my housemates live in Senghennydd Road so if you ever feel the need to talk come along .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)

I want to swap, I'm in Tower. I PM'd you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 16, 2010
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.