Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in yr11 now.. and when I look at new yr7s at my school, why do they look so young/small..etc?! lol
    I feel like 'I wasn't that small when I was yr7! or was I?'
    so just a quick question, to sixth formers and undergraduates, would yr10-11s look like a "child"? and to people in their 30s, would people in their 20s look "small"?

Bit strange to ask, but I just can't stop wondering :p:
    My guess is that I(yr11) would think yr7s are "small" but people in their 30s would see people in their 20s as still an "adult" coz well, they are. I'm guessing that 'gap' gets smaller as you get older?

lol thanks in advance

I still think that some year 10/11s look like children in all honesty.

The new year 7s look very small and young when they walk past my shop on the way home from school in the afternoons.

I'm nearly in my 30s now, and I don't see much difference between myself and someone in their early 20s (or people older than me), but people up to about 19 or so do seem quite young to me. I think the gap does close, an age gap of 4 years seems pretty irrelevant to me now.

I live near two schools and a sixth form at home and I always think how small the year 9's-year 11's look cos I don't remember being that small. Think girls are getting shorter though. I'm friends with a lot of people 30+ and don't think I've ever been seen as small. I've been called young, but not in the child sense.

Up to a certain age people stop growing in height. I would say about 19/20. Also remember younger children have less experience of the world and are still 'learning'. In school, children are usually taught in groups the same age so when they see somebody who is say only 2 years older than them they may think. Why does that kid look so big? In school it was either students or teachers. Teachers looked all the same to kids ^^ but other kids looked different. At least that is how I see it.

For a thirty year old to think of someone in their twenties as small is a bit weird ^^. I mean these sorts of memories of being small usually spawn when you are small so you associate them like that. You see kids and your memories start to come back about what it felt like being one. You see a twenty year old and your like, "That guy looks like me"

Basically, when you were a kid you were happy and free.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.