Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the annoying, red tape bureaucratic situation i find myself in... This is just a bit of a rant really, but i'm getting sooooo pissed off i wanted to let off some steam!

So, I've been awarded a PhD studentship (woo) that is conditional upon me passing my MSc. I finished that MSc on Wednesday (Sept 22nd). I should start the PhD a week on Monday (Oct 4th). My MSc and PhD are in the same department, at the same university.

Unfortunately, the BOE meeting for my MSc isn't until the end of November, so my result is not "official" until then, although i understand that my project is in the process of being marked so my provisional mark will known to my supervisor soon, but not me. But, my PhD offer is conditional so *officially* i can't enrol or receive funding or even start the PhD until the BOE confirms my grade.

I've been trying to discover if i am going to get my funding on the 1st October like everyone else, but i can't get a straight answer. I have rent to pay and no way of getting a loan to cover my living costs until my MSc result is official. My supervisor wants me to start on Oct 4th like everyone else and even do some teaching in the first few weeks so i can't really get a job (even if someone would hire me full time for 6 weeks!).

Oh and i can't enrol on the uni system until my result is unconditional and if i don't enrol before 1st Nov i get a £50 fine.

Argahrgahrgahrgahrgh. I keep emailing my supervisor saying "have you spoken to blah about this yet, i need to pay rent" but she doesn't seem to understand the urgency.

I have been *trying* in vain to sort this out for about 6 weeks (when my funding offer was confirmed). There is little or no chance of me failing my MSc (my module average is very high, and i would have had to completely bomb the project to fail).

The frustrating part is that I can't imagine that i am the first student to be in the situation? Yet they have no process for managing it.

Has anyone else had to deal with such ridiculous red tape? I should be enjoying my 1 week summer holiday, but i can't because i have no idea if the £150 i have left of my overdraft will have to support me until the end of November.

Bleurgh.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure your university dealt with cases like you before.It's weird that your supervisor isn't able to assist you .

OOC; what are your studying and in which university?

ReputationRep:
    Forget your supervisor, ask whoever is responsible for graduate studies or maybe the senior administrators. Sometimes the admins know more than the academics - academics are notoriously bad at paperwork!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Sometimes the admins know more than the academics - academics are notoriously bad at paperwork!
    I learnt this the hard way the past year. It's Admin who know the rules and deal with paperwork. They have the final word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Forget your supervisor, ask whoever is responsible for graduate studies or maybe the senior administrators. Sometimes the admins know more than the academics - academics are notoriously bad at paperwork!
    Agreed. The average academic doesn't know their administrative arse from their administrative elbow.

ReputationRep:
    Definitly go into (rather than phone or email) the research degrees office or the equivalent at your university and ask for it to be sorted. You definitly won't be the first. I'm fortunate in the sense that my PhD does not start until January as, although I have my provisional results, the Board will not confirm them until October. Lots of people go straight from Masters to PhD so there should be a system in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Cheers, i have tried my department's admin but they don't seem to have any useful advice for me. I shall try someone else in the Graduate Students Office tomorrow i think.

I guess the thing is, my supervisor said she'd sort it for me, but this was a few weeks ago.Despite me pestering her she doesn't seem to have done anything productive yet. It's getting down to the wire though, so i think i'm going to have to start pestering more people, more loudly! I don't want to be an annoyance, but i think i shall have to be!

I hate red tape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newDana)
    Cheers, i have tried my department's admin but they don't seem to have any useful advice for me. I shall try someone else in the Graduate Students Office tomorrow i think.

I guess the thing is, my supervisor said she'd sort it for me, but this was a few weeks ago.Despite me pestering her she doesn't seem to have done anything productive yet. It's getting down to the wire though, so i think i'm going to have to start pestering more people, more loudly! I don't want to be an annoyance, but i think i shall have to be!

I hate red tape.
    I think your best bet is to get written confirmation of your university funding from a graduate administrator in your department/faculty (in the same way they will confirm that you are a student for council tax and for TV license issues), and then book an appointment with financial support. I know they can give you an emergency loan of up to £250, but considering you are a research student with either research council or university funding then I am sure they might be able to give you more. Alternatively, you could and would probably receive money from the access to learning fund, but it is something that takes a while and requires some paperwork.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't start doing work on the 4th Oct until everything is sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I think your best bet is to get written confirmation of your university funding from a graduate administrator in your department/faculty (in the same way they will confirm that you are a student for council tax and for TV license issues), and then book an appointment with financial support. I know they can give you an emergency loan of up to £250, but considering you are a research student with either research council or university funding then I am sure they might be able to give you more. Alternatively, you could and would probably receive money from the access to learning fund, but it is something that takes a while and requires some paperwork.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks, it does help :-) I hadn't considered a hardship loan, but i guess that this will be the best course of option if i can't get my payments sorted before my bills go out!

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor wants me to start on Oct 4th like everyone else and even do some teaching in the first few weeks so i can't really get a job (even if someone would hire me full time for 6 weeks!).
    You'll find that you won't be insured to do any work (I don't know what your PhD is but it still stands) or teach until you are officially enrolled.

I started my PhD a few weeks before I was officially enrolled, so that meant that I just did reading and no experimentation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it does help :-) I hadn't considered a hardship loan, but i guess that this will be the best course of option if i can't get my payments sorted before my bills go out!
    Will you not encounter the same problem though? As you are not enrolled as a student you would not qualify for hardship loans for registered students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Will you not encounter the same problem though? As you are not enrolled as a student you would not qualify for hardship loans for registered students?
    Hmz perhaps, but i think i won't need it after all. I've been pestering people today and my offer on the university system is now listed as "unconditional" so, i can now enrol and hopefully i will get my money on Thursday! Fingers crossed :-)

If not, i've been told i can apply for an "Access Advance" which is different to the hardship loan, for people in my situation.

ReputationRep:
    Hmz perhaps, but i think i won't need it after all. I've been pestering people today and my offer on the university system is now listed as "unconditional" so, i can now enrol and hopefully i will get my money on Thursday! Fingers crossed :-)

If not, i've been told i can apply for an "Access Advance" which is different to the hardship loan, for people in my situation.
    I am glad you managed to sort something out! For all the fuss, just imagine if you had switched to another university; it could possibly be even more hard work! :p:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.