The Student Room Group

Anyone doing 'Eating Behaviour', or just anyone with common sense, HELP ME!

I really, really don't understand this at all. Basically, I have to "outline and evaluate two factors influencing attitudes to food and eatng behaviour", one of which is 'culture'. I thought this would have been something like "people who live in LA tend to prefer 'healthy' foods over 'fatty' foods" or "British people are much more likely to prefer stodgy/hearty grub (lol) than Japanese people" type stuff. But in my book under the 'CULTURE' section it says things like, "parental control: if a parent stops a child from eating a particular food they are far more likely to prefer it." fair enough but what on earth does this have to do with culture?!
I would have thought that came under external factors or something like that. Surely your interpretation of culture is more accurate. However, if this is what they wish to go with, then ******** it and write something similar to the example.

Or ask your tutor for advice. It's what they're there for. Good luck!
Because culture influences the parent :smile:

You said that people in california have different eating habits to those in Britain (or whatever). What the book is saying is that those differences are then reproduced by the parent passing it on to the child (just as culture is reproduced by the parent passing it on to the child)
Also... what subject is this for?

EDIT: sorry I just saw it's psychology... You can definitely say that cultural differences are reproduced by the parents, in that case.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Culture is a very broad topic. Either of the things you said are perfectly fine as long as you explain them.

Culture is all around us. It is embedded in our social, political and psychological make up. Arguably all of the decisions you make are culturally influenced, whether it is from something you see, something you believe in, or a subconscious feeling. Therefore, both of the examples you gave could fit this definition.

(I just blagged that, but basically as long as you justify it you should have a right answer) :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending