Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

basically I got into uni but I basically I am too close to be allowed to live in halls.

The journey takes two hours so I am basically going to be really tired from travel.

My family drives me nuts everytime I am upset about something I am not allowed to be for whatever reason.

I just do not want to live with them, and I do not want to make the long travel to uni everyday.

I cannot find any accomodation, what do I do? Surely someone can help me?

ReputationRep:
    Move into private halls or a flat/houseshare.

ReputationRep:
    As JayB124 says, you don't necessarily need to live in Uni halls. Go to your Uni's accomodation office, they'll advise on private accomodation.

(Original post by DMed)
    As JayB124 says, you don't necessarily need to live in Uni halls. Go to your Uni's accomodation office, they'll advise on private accomodation.
    I did but all the private accomodation is overpriced (£300 p.w) or taken.

ReputationRep:
    try student housing then, should be able to get something reasnoble for a reasnoble price

ReputationRep:
    easyflatmate.com?

Worth looking at all housing options if you're that desperate to get out.

ReputationRep:
    Private houses, not all of them are overpriced! Which uni do you go to?
    I lived in private in my first year and i loved it, in fact i'd say it was better than halls!

ReputationRep:
    I thought that you were guaranteed to have a place in halls in your first year. I have never heard of anyone being turned down due to living too close. Which university is this? If you applied too late that's one thing, but I would have a word with the student centre (or whatever it is called at your uni) and say that you want a place.

(Original post by crazyunicorn133)
    Private houses, not all of them are overpriced! Which uni do you go to?
    I lived in private in my first year and i loved it, in fact i'd say it was better than halls!
    my uni is in london.
    another problem I have is student finance is still not gone through.

(Original post by Ironmike)
    I thought that you were guaranteed to have a place in halls in your first year. I have never heard of anyone being turned down due to living too close. Which university is this? If you applied too late that's one thing, but I would have a word with the student centre (or whatever it is called at your uni) and say that you want a place.
    It was my insurance, it is one of the small universities in london.
    I called up accommodation and they said I am on the waiting list, I also applied for another type of accommodation and they also told me I was too close even though it takes me two hours to get there.

ReputationRep:
    Two hours is long enough, you would be tired from a two hour journey.
    Try and get accomidation as soon as possible!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    basically I got into uni but I basically I am too close to be allowed to live in halls.

The journey takes two hours so I am basically going to be really tired from travel.

My family drives me nuts everytime I am upset about something I am not allowed to be for whatever reason.

I just do not want to live with them, and I do not want to make the long travel to uni everyday.

I cannot find any accomodation, what do I do? Surely someone can help me?
    Two hours? How is that close to halls.

(Original post by Stefan1991)
    Two hours? How is that close to halls.
    because I live in the same city I am technically too close, even though it takes me two hours.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any sort of student magazine or such thing? At my uni there is a big noticeboard by the SI offices that always has loads of adverts for rooms to share. They seem to range between 300-450pcm, and this is zone 3 London. Also, if you're desperate might be worth looking at the gumtree website - Lots of saffas/aussies/kiwis on there and they love a bit of cheap accomodation! Downside is obviously you won't know them, and they might not be a study friendly house.

ReputationRep:
    what uni is this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    A lot of, if not most, unis have this policy. Many uni's don't actually have enough accomodation places for all first years, so they have to do this to make sure people who live, say, seven hours away don't end up with nowhere to stay.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.