Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Uni worth it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so application time is drawing near and I have no idea what I want to do. I haven't looked at any Unis or gone to any open days because up until now I really didn't want to go. I still don't want to go, I just keep getting caught up in the excitement and forgetting that I have other plans.

I'm really keen on taking a gap year. A proper one, not just bumming around in my hometown pretending to be getting work experience (by the way if you can link me to a gap year site or something that would be great).

I really suck at A levels, I only have one subject where I can safely say I know I'll get above a D and it scares the crap out of me. Everyone keeps telling me to apply anyway which I think I'm going to do but even if i decide not to go, the rejection would hurt.

I just know I won't enojy Uni. I'm extremely unsociable, I suck at making friends and I think I'll go out of my mind if I have to put up with 3 or 4 more years of studying. I'm ready to get out there and do things. I know I can go to Uni later if I want to and I think that's probably what I'll do but my mum totally wants me to go now and it worries me that I can't explain myself when she asks why I don't want to go. What if I make the wrong decision and regret it for the rest of my life?

So yeah, I don't really know what kind of advice I'm asking for but anything serious will be great.

Cheers,

ReputationRep:
    Initially I would say forget about the unsociable, and making friends bits.
    Think about the career you want to go in, and does that require a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamil1987)
    Initially I would say forget about the unsociable, and making friends bits.
    Think about the career you want to go in, and does that require a degree?

I agree.

ReputationRep:
    If you can only think of one subject where you can get a D the academic subject aren't for you.

Try and join an apprenticeship course or work towards some other vocational qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Do acces course at a college nearby, if you work hard you can get to university through this route

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankiiee)
    I just know I won't enojy Uni. I'm extremely unsociable
    I normally don't go out at all but I've gone out a lot so far and you do get used to it and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    i personally think its better to wait and decide what u want to do with yr future, then deciding if u want to go to uni, i mean if u want to be a fireman for example will a degree in history really help? Tell yr mum you want to get a degree that will get a job at the end and u need to decide what job u want to do so yr not just wasting 3 yrs of yr life. in my opinion parents etc think uni is a way to ensure a good job and future for a child but the fact is many degrees are waisted. I personally know many people through unskilled jobs and now uni who have degrees and its got them nowhere because either its not been linked to a job or its linked to a job they do not want to do. if she is really not happy why not concider an nvq or apprenticeship so yr still getting paid and working while getting a qualification in something as well?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should go. You say you're not a sociable person, but you're talking to strangers on a forum (therefore I conclude you are sociable to a degree ) so maybe it's confidence you're lacking. By going to uni, you'll be able to throw yourself in he deep end and really open up! It's not the end of the world if you start a course which you don't enjoy.

It took me up until the end of my first year at uni to find what it was that I wanted to do in life. So I took the steps and now I'm doing a completely different course. Being a sociable person really gets you far in life (in terms of job prospects and happiness in general IMO).

ReputationRep:
    If you can only get 1 subject above a D grade, I'd advise that you don't go to University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    If you can only get 1 subject above a D grade, I'd advise that you don't go to University.
    That's what I thought, I was really good at GCSE's I just don't understand A levels. I do great in French, English I'm good at coursework but epic fail in exams and Psychology is just completely lost on me. So how will I handle a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankiiee)
    That's what I thought, I was really good at GCSE's I just don't understand A levels. I do great in French, English I'm good at coursework but epic fail in exams and Psychology is just completely lost on me. So how will I handle a degree?
    Considered studying French then? I'd say take a gap year. And there's no shame if you 'bum around' a little :p: Because then you'll be refreshed and probably eager to study again. You'll also get the chance to do any re-sits if needs be (Though you haven't even had any A-level results yet so don't be too hard on yourself!). You might even have an epiphany and discover what it is that you want to do!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.