Turn on thread page Beta

Are straight A* predictions at a-level rare? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, i'm wondering how many people have got their teachers predict them straight A*s?
    Just curious really. . My school rarely predicts A*s, but in other schools, is it really as rare as it's meant to be? And does it mean a lot more than straight A's, as most universities don't even use the A*?

ReputationRep:
    for unis where competition is high, no it's not

ReputationRep:
    A* predictions are pretty pointless, and as you say, different schools predict people differently. Universities aren't really paying much attention to A* predictions, so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    If you get more than 90% at AS, I think they predict A* at A2 so therefore if you are a brainbox and get 90%+ in every subject then yeh ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    A* predictions are pretty pointless, and as you say, different schools predict people differently. Universities aren't really paying much attention to A* predictions, so don't worry.
    How can A* predictions be pointless!
    The reason they were introduced was to distinguish between those students who are good, and who are amazing. Thats why the only Uni's that ask for them really are the High Rollers, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial ect.
    And to answer the question straight A*s probably aren't that rare as at least 2-3 students from each british school is being predicted A*A*A*, therefore there are a vast number of straight A* students. Im proud to say im one of those badboys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemistrygod2315)
    The reason they were introduced was to distinguish between those students who are good, and who are amazing. Thats why the only Uni's that ask for them really are the High Rollers, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial ect.
    And to answer the question straight A*s probably aren't that rare as at least 2-3 students from each british school is being predicted A*A*A*, therefore there are a vast number of straight A* students. Im proud to say im one of those badboys
    I said predicting A*s is pointless, NOT that awarding someone an A* is pointless. Try reading.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford isn't using the A* this year. . .

ReputationRep:
    I said predicting A*s is pointless, NOT that awarding someone an A* is pointless. Try reading.
    But how can predicting be pointless. If someone scores 290/300 in As say compared to someone who scores 250/300. Those are both A at As, but you would be likely to predict the 290 student A*.

ReputationRep:
    I go to one of the best schools in the country and they said in one assembly that about 10 people (max.) out of a year of 140+ had been given straight A* predictions.

I was one of them. Until they retracted my A* in maths because they had over predicted pretty much everyone :p: Not complaining because I knew I was never going to get an A* in maths. Hell, I don't even know why I'm taking it.. I'm ****!

ReputationRep:
    I got predicted A*A*A*A*, my maths teacher predicted EVERYONE A*A* even though only a couple of us had As says it all. Predictions are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    But how can predicting be pointless. If someone scores 290/300 in As say compared to someone who scores 250/300. Those are both A at As, but you would be likely to predict the 290 student A*.
    Firstly A2 is quite a step up from AS and at my college this year, pretty much all the A* predictions turned out completely wrong. People who were predicted them didn't get them, and those that weren't, did. Cambridge even said themselves that they're not going to look at A* predictions at the open day, they're treating A*A*A* the same as AAA (mainly because of policy differences between colleges) yet they'll still offer A*AA. So if Cambridge think A* predictions are pointless, I'm inclined to agree.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly A2 is quite a step up from AS and at my college this year, pretty much all the A* predictions turned out completely wrong. People who were predicted them didn't get them, and those that weren't, did. Cambridge even said themselves that they're not going to look at A* predictions at the open day, they're treating A*A*A* the same as AAA (mainly because of policy differences between colleges) yet they'll still offer A*AA. So if Cambridge think A* predictions are pointless, I'm inclined to agree.
    YUP same in my school.

So this year the maths dept. only predicted people with 280/300 an A*

I had 269/300 ~ 90% but predicted A, oh well

ReputationRep:
    )
    Umm.. I think *you* need to try reading!

Anyway..

I don't think they're pointless. You need to know what people are likely to get, whether that grade is an E or an A*. Same difference, really.

ReputationRep:
    A*s should only be predicted if you get 90%+ in your subject otherwise an A should be given...it shouldn't be given based on the fact that your applying to a competitive course IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)

Anyway..

I don't think they're pointless. You need to know what people are likely to get, whether that grade is an E or an A*. Same difference, really.
    But is there really that much difference between an A and an A*? like that mini master guy said, he's well into an an A, practically 90%, but not predicted the A*. .
    I'm just trying to work out how universities view them, as when i've rang i've been fobbed off with answers about 'your whole application is being considered, so no comment'. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)

Anyway..

If you continue to read, he starts telling me why the A* has been introduced, for some reason. I hadn't disputed anything about the introduction of the A*, only the predictions. The difference between an E and a D is really not the same as the difference between an A and an A*. It may be in terms of UMS, but other factors come into play. Not making silly mistakes is one, being 'lucky', as in getting a paper you like. I definitely wouldn't have got an A* in Further Maths had my M3/M4 papers not been as 'suited' to me as they were.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it is a bit of a joke and I've been predicted one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    YUP same in my school.

So this year the maths dept. only predicted people with 280/300 an A*

I had 269/300 ~ 90% but predicted A, oh well
    ed westwick, huh? haha

ReputationRep:
    People who won't get A* say A* predictions are pointless.What a surprise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If it worked like that, it would be useful yes. However, it doesn't. Some schools (like mine) simply predict 1 grade higher than whatever you got at AS, 2 grades higher if you want them to. THAT makes it pointless.

(Original post by Gemma :))
    You need to know what people are likely to get, whether that grade is an E or an A*. Same difference, really.
    Looking at their AS grades would be more accurate, i'd say.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.