Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    People who won't get A* say A* predictions are pointless.What a surprise.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    I wouldn't be too quick to assume anything if I were you. .
    Just a tip.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Making predictions of your own huh? How pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon1993)
    But is there really that much difference between an A and an A*? like that mini master guy said, he's well into an an A, practically 90%, but not predicted the A*. .
    I'm just trying to work out how universities view them, as when i've rang i've been fobbed off with answers about 'your whole application is being considered, so no comment'. .
    That's just like saying is there much difference between an A and a B. They're different grades!

And, it's pretty hard to go UP a grade at A2, so if they never got 90% at AS, assuming they worked their best (and you can't exactly say you didn't work for your AS, your college would want to know why the hell not) then obviously they're not going to be predicted to get higher results at A2.

ReputationRep:
    An A* prediction gives you something to work for. I worked like a mofo for fm and physics to get them.

3 of us at my school were predicted straight A*s, and we all got 4. But give that we notched up over 30 100% UMS scores between us over a-level shows what level you should be at.

ReputationRep:
    ed westwick, huh? haha
    What do you want me to say?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't even predicted A* in a subject that I already have A* in lol.
    Then again, I only got a B in that subject in AS XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    That's just like saying is there much difference between an A and a B. They're different grades!

And, it's pretty hard to go UP a grade at A2, so if they never got 90% at AS, assuming they worked their best (and you can't exactly say you didn't work for your AS, your college would want to know why the hell not) then obviously they're not going to be predicted to get higher results at A2.
    They're different grades, but not in the way a B and an A are. For the A*, you can have an overall 80% at AS (ie, a low A), but as long as you get over 90% at A2 (and for maths, it was just C3 and c4!), you get the A*. .so the A and the A* overlap quite a bit! And it is possible to go up grades - more than just possible, it's pretty common!

ReputationRep:
    doesn't your reference explain the context of your predicted grades? How are they pointless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    What do you want me to say?
    lol it was just an interesting sig :P makes me wonder you're from? lol did you expect me to go into full westwick hero worship?

ReputationRep:
    And it is possible to go up grades - more than just possible, it's pretty common!
    Sorry I should have been more exact with what I meant here.. I meant if you put in exactly the same amount of work into A2, your grade wouldn't be as high as it was at AS, as it's harder.

People DO get higher grades, but they have to do resits and slog their guts out for A2.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    At my school you had to get over 95% at AS to get predicted and A* in fact I got A* in Fmaths where not predicted and not in physics where it was but that was school's fault for screwing up course work for me. I only got B in AS chem but very close to A so was predicted A yet was 1% away from A* at A2 which shows how hard they are to predict. My 90% at AS biology didn't equate to an A* at A2 so they got it about right I reckon it is all because A2 so much harder.

ReputationRep:
    I know member who has 3 A*'s prediction on TSR.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    J Singh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    I know member who has 3 A*'s prediction on TSR.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    J Singh
    erm. .you're talking about TSR. I'm sure there are lots of clever clogs here with thousands of A* predictions :P

ReputationRep:
    There are like five people max at my school who are predicted all A*s. I think.

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, i'm wondering how many people have got their teachers predict them straight A*s?
    Just curious really. . My school rarely predicts A*s, but in other schools, is it really as rare as it's meant to be? And does it mean a lot more than straight A's, as most universities don't even use the A*?
    Probably. Not that many people get A* A* A* A* predicted at A2. I'm predicted one A* and I don't know anyone else who is predicted one.

ReputationRep:
    lol it was just an interesting sig :P makes me wonder you're from? lol did you expect me to go into full westwick hero worship?
    Outer London. Yes I did.

ReputationRep:
    Given the varying policies of schools with regards predicting A*s, I would recommend anyone with 95%+ in an AS to ask their school to mention this in their reference.

ReputationRep:
    I say A* predictions are pointless. :awesome:

Tbh the admissions tutor at Oxford said that A* predictions are highly unreliable as some schools use them and some don't, and that in order not to disadvantage candidates whose schools were being more strict with awarding them, they would not be looking at them. From what's been said by a Cambridge applicant, it sounds as if they are adopting a similar stance and just assuming that those who apply to A*AA courses are on track to achieve those grades.

The problem is that the A* is in many ways a prediction they 'can't call your bluff on'. If you are predicted A*s, chances are even the most competitive course you apply to only requires A*AA, so they can't ensure that this prediction isn't just an attempt by your school to boost your application without evidence, whereas if you were predicted AAA before when you were headed for AAB, then, well, your bluff was called when you got an AAA offer.

I suppose if you included high module marks in your application as well then they are more likely to view it as a realistic prediction, in which case it might be given more weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Outer London. Yes I did.
    You know that they say about 'assume'. .
    so what's he doing hanging out with an english city kid like you? :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.