Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anniee1)
    what about the headings? which font?
    what's footnote? x
    I just used Times New Roman, but in a bigger size. Also, I changed it to Small caps, have a look for it in the font settings, it makes it look classier

Footnotes are the references/notes that come at a bottom of a page. Like in the main body of a text, you might have a small 1 at the end of the sentence, this refers to the footnote at the bottom of the page where you write in the reference. Is that what you meant :confused: They're quite important so you might want to ask your supervisor if you're unsure how to do them.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully just 3000 words to go, with about 10 days, i have set in my mind by the weekend

to be able to touch it up and all that

i'm alittle bit worried with the level of research done as there not a lot on my area to source it

while others with "easier" dissertation/ project have loads

(Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    I'm just doing my final revision, and it's doing my nut in! Thankfully my supervisor said after the first draft that I didn't need to change/add/remove much so hopefully all is well (He also predicted it at a first :banana2: and more or less said he wants me to apply for his PhD if he gets grants by next year. I was like :eek:).
    i want a first :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    This is the MOST stressful thing ever I am almost done but just don't know whether its right or wrong bearing in mind i want a decent grade aaahhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    I just used Times New Roman, but in a bigger size. Also, I changed it to Small caps, have a look for it in the font settings, it makes it look classier

Footnotes are the references/notes that come at a bottom of a page. Like in the main body of a text, you might have a small 1 at the end of the sentence, this refers to the footnote at the bottom of the page where you write in the reference. Is that what you meant :confused: They're quite important so you might want to ask your supervisor if you're unsure how to do them.
    I see I might use that but atm i am using MS Reference Sans Serif size 11. I quite like it but not sure what it will look when printed...
    Oh i see what you mean... i don't have that sentences for some reason... i didn't quote anyone as such however i did use their ideas and so i have mentioned that at the end

How many words is yours?
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    The title on a title page is pretty much a given. Name and student number below it. A picture's not really relevant to my topic, so I'm not going to bother finding one.

Don't know about acknowledgements, seems a bit strange to do it for an undergraduate dissertation.

I'm using Verdana pt 10, since that's the font the department asks us to use.
    Yeah its strange but i have seen examples and lots of them have it so i am going to have one

ReputationRep:
    ok i have a plan. 4 weeks till Easter so get my reading done by next week and discuss chapeters etc with my superviser. write one chaper before Easter, check that's ok. Write the rest over Easter, email to superviser so can discuss first week back then 2 weeks to make all my final changes.
    does that sound like a good plan? i'm really lost with all of this tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anniee1)
    I see I might use that but atm i am using MS Reference Sans Serif size 11. I quite like it but not sure what it will look when printed...
    Oh i see what you mean... i don't have that sentences for some reason... i didn't quote anyone as such however i did use their ideas and so i have mentioned that at the end

How many words is yours?
    x
    As long as you don't use something completely inappropriate like Comic Sans, hehe.

My dissertation was 8000 words altogether, so not huge like some people have to do. Which I'm very glad about!

ReputationRep:
    Mine is due a week on Friday, just need to read through it and make sure it makes some sort of sense

And correct the format of 73 references

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread not only fascinates me but fills me with fear when I have to do my dissertation :'(

Good luck to you all.

ReputationRep:
    1500 words down, 8500 to go. :afraid: I have until May 5th.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just doing my final revision, and it's doing my nut in! Thankfully my supervisor said after the first draft that I didn't need to change/add/remove much so hopefully all is well (He also predicted it at a first :banana2: and more or less said he wants me to apply for his PhD if he gets grants by next year. I was like :eek:).
    hey man how is your going?, by the sounds of it good :p:

i know quoting twice bad of me

it final clicked in my head today what i am doing, only a week before the deadline, but it doesn't sound that bad, i do have a lot jut have to write it down

ReputationRep:
    Ditto on having a week to go. Need to get it bound by next Wed afternoon at the latest.

Not looked at it this week. I've been focusing on two essays I have due tomorrow. They are almost ready to submit now though, so hoping to direct my attention back to it tomorrow.

I'm going to be so happy once it is submitted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    hey man how is your going?, by the sounds of it good :p:

i know quoting twice bad of me

it final clicked in my head today what i am doing, only a week before the deadline, but it doesn't sound that bad, i do have a lot jut have to write it down
    Sorry robinson I haven't been on here at all in the last couple of weeks. I can assure you I won't get a first in my degree . Yeah the write-up wasn't as timely as I thought it would be. I got my exam timetable as well last week which is pretty hectic! Good luck with your write-up. Im so glad my project was pretty straight forward, even though there is hardly any literature on my protein. I think it may have actually worked to my advantage to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry robinson I haven't been on here at all in the last couple of weeks. I can assure you I won't get a first in my degree . Yeah the write-up wasn't as timely as I thought it would be. I got my exam timetable as well last week which is pretty hectic! Good luck with your write-up. Im so glad my project was pretty straight forward, even though there is hardly any literature on my protein. I think it may have actually worked to my advantage to be honest.
    nice:p: i won't find out my exam timetable for a few weeks hopping for a good one, only 4 exams, no doubt they will go on final years these 3 exams in 3 days, and your last exams 3 weeks after them

i am being limited by literature, trouble as well every paper i pull by supervisor is named on it, these a lot on the radical as its the most common, but the way i am looking at it is very new and well always goes wrong so i'm looking for a way to help understand what goes wrong and how to put it right

not forgetting some silly bit of coursework due in firday, which is adding a little more stress and is being done very half hearty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Ditto on having a week to go. Need to get it bound by next Wed afternoon at the latest.

Not looked at it this week. I've been focusing on two essays I have due tomorrow. They are almost ready to submit now though, so hoping to direct my attention back to it tomorrow.

I'm going to be so happy once it is submitted!
    thats my plan wed its the latest i want to leave it, for it to get printed
    also helped that half the uni will be at UEA that day, beating them at every sport so campus will be quite

ReputationRep:
    I am about to go into shock!

Just about to do my final read through, to check all my references etc. It is currently 10,128 words - apparently, we are absolutely not allowed to go over 10,000 words [although I doubt they'd be sad enough to count lol]. Hoping to get rid of as many of the 128 extra as I can with this read through - that should be easy enough.

Then it will be done! I can barely believe it!

It seems so strange that from tomorrow night [as I plan on getting it bound tomorrow and then submitting it] I won't have the dissertation hanging over me. It is a odd thought indeed.

Reading this thread is making me think back to when I was doing mine. This time last year, I was just finishing the transcripts, and rewriting my entire dissertation! Yup re writing the damn thing! N E V E R again!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, need a bit of advice.

Just handed in my dissertation today. Few problems...

(Background: I am in 4th year, final year. My course is interdsiclipinary and new, this will be the first year to graduate. Its incredibly badly run- in 3rd year, no proposals, no meetings, no guidelines, no structure help....we were just told the wordcount. Last November, the topic I wanted to do was rejected. So I got a new one approved, and started researching, lost few days to sickness. Had huge essay due middle of january so lots of time gone there. January 17th- serious writing begins! Entire thing rewritten starting mid feb. Supervisor- very little help, got me to narrow down my topic but unfortunately turns out far too broad still. Kept referring me back to other people outside of history (I chose history, but as mentioned not a standard history student), hadn't a clue how to structure it. Eventually got bit more guidance from him and from guidelines given to history 3rd years, but not enough. No formal meetings, no progress meetings, no drafts. Dissertation due March 7th- had two other 3,500 word essays due the same day. Dissertation is 10-12000 words, 20 credits). Dissertation extended at the end of Feb until March 21st, 2 weeks. So had to instantly drop it and write the other 2 essays- nobody else in my course is taking both of those classes (and its impossible for the rest of the class, normal hist students) so I feel everyone had an advantage over me and more time. Anyway that went as best it could, and after a complete lack of sleep, handed it in on time.)

It is 15,000 words. 3,000 words over the upper word limit. I did the best I could, but in the end the topic was just too broad. Felt like crying. Another issue is the chapters- they are completely uneven, one is 19 pages long, another is 5...one is 10..can't remember the other. It has 90 footnotes, about half are double references or more. Was so stuck for time (baring in mind the previous deadlines) that I had barely any time to proofread (no sleep last night!). Now, I changed the titles of the chapters as the focus was all wrong compared to what I'd written, the last two have a slightly different time period. Unfortunately, I forgot to change this in the introduction, and I have written what the last two chapers will focus on incorrectly. There are two typos that I could see a while ago...got a bit upset and couldnt re-read the whole thing hours after handing it in. One footnote has the authors name in the wrong order.

Now, I'm VERY happy with the content, and the research put in. I put everything into this, despite the complete lack of help or guidelines, the fact that I had a lot more deadlines than any other 4th year I know (familiar with 4 departments, but i know in general that they all give guidance in 3rd year. also, the current 3rd years in my course are now submitting all the prep stuff! eh way to leve 4th years hanging!) and the fact that it only got started in January. How much are they going to penalise me, does anyone know?? I know different universities are different, but I'm just so worried now that the mistake about the chapters and the wordcount is going to cost me dearly. I might go to my supervisor tomorrow and ask him, but he's the first marker (there are 3). I don't want to point out the glaring faults in it so he has them in mind while reading them! Also, is it totally irrational that I want the markers to keep in mind how little prepared we were in comparison to other dissertations? Just feel it'd be too harsh if we were treated as having written standard history dissertations (or geog or english..rest of class), though history wordcount is lower- 7,000-10,000.

Sorry about the fecking mini essay I've written! I normally don't have a problem with wordcount and tend to only go over by 50 words or so. I feel that I should really have been forced to narrow down my topic too, as I wasn't aware of that and they were. So if anyone has any advice? As in, the stress markers place on the errors I mentioned, or whether its worth getting reassurance from the supervisor who will be marking it!

My topic was 'Munster in the Elizabethan era: Conquest or reform?'. Munster is a province in Ireland. Time period- 45 years, but far more in the first chapter. Too fecking broad!! I hope they award marks for challenge...

If you've read this far, best of luck to everyone!! If anything, I've probably reassured people that their guidance/supervisor/time devoted to writing dissertation isn't so bad!

ReputationRep:
    its not even funny now annoyed i am with my discussion part of my dissertation/ spf

i feel like everything is pretty good, the intro, method results all that, just my discussion is bad, starts ok as i know what i am talking about for 2 of the 6 protons i am looking at, than its all down hill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    its not even funny now annoyed i am with my discussion part of my dissertation/ spf

i feel like everything is pretty good, the intro, method results all that, just my discussion is bad, starts ok as i know what i am talking about for 2 of the 6 protons i am looking at, than its all down hill
    That was the case for me also. I was happy with everything but the discussion. The results from my study weren't very good (due to it being poorly designed) so it made writing my discussion a nightmare. I'd had feedback on everything except the discussion which only adds to my worries about it. In the end, I just did the best I could and submitted it. Looking back now, I'm worried that the discussion will bring down my overall mark considerably.

I'll just have to wait and see...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.