Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the 24 hour countdown now. Time to get to it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I had a look through but didn't read all 20 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has been asked before.
    I'm at the end of my second year now, and I have a choice whether to do a dissertation (20 credits so only 8k-10k words) or to take an ordinary third year module next year.
    I'd really appreciate opinions on this.
    There are other modules I'd very much like to do, but I have also been told that not doing a dissertation would mean I'm "missing out on a vital part of the university experience" and it has even been suggested that employers/postgrad admissions tutors look more favourably on candidates that have done a dissertation as it shows research abilities, depth of knowledge etc.
    In all honesty, I think I would prefer to do the modules, but at the same time, I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage in the future.
    What do the oracles of TSR have to say about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *LittleGem*)
    Hi. I had a look through but didn't read all 20 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has been asked before.
    I'm at the end of my second year now, and I have a choice whether to do a dissertation (20 credits so only 8k-10k words) or to take an ordinary third year module next year.
    There are other modules I'd very much like to do, but I have also been told that not doing a dissertation would mean I'm "missing out on a vital part of the university experience" and it has even been suggested that employers/postgrad admissions tutors look more favourably on candidates that have done a dissertation as it shows research abilities, depth of knowledge etc.
    In all honesty, I think I would prefer to do the modules, but at the same time, I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage in the future.
    i'm not aware of any dissadvantage you would be put at, i could be wrong however. i seriously would not recomend doing a diss if you're not really bothered about doing on. i really wish i hadn't done one. if there are other moduals which interest you i would recomend doing them. if you think you can cope with it then by all means go for it but it does have a tendency to take over. i'm seriously cramming for my exams now because i spend too much time doing my diss over last term and not enough doing all the extra reading and stuff i should have done for other moduals. and 20 credits is not that much

ReputationRep:
    I think if you can find a topic that interests you then go for it. I guess it also depends on what you wanna do in the future.
    20 credits is worth quite a lot if like me your other modules are all worth 10.

ReputationRep:
    It is something valuable and unique during your degree, as you can control precisely what you are researching and are in complete control of your working methods. Plus, it is one less exam.

With regards it being useful once you graduate - I have heard that. Especially if you want to go into a research based masters. And it demonstrates a lot of transferable skills.

But, ultimately, it is up to you. If there isn't a topic you want to explore and you would rather take a taught module, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not the essay type person (i prefer maths any day) but I still opted for it because to be honest thats what uni is really about i mean everyone no matter what subject you take as that option of doing a disso, theres nothing else that connects all degrees together (if that makes sense) either way i think you should go for it.

I also had 6 exams this term plus my dissertation and found that i really didn't have enough time for exams etc etc but to be honest all my exams have been alright (with the exception of one) I think it boils down to time management remember you have from sept-march roughly thats alot of time for a 10k word essay (well thats how many words was ours).

Go for it, if we can all do it i'm so sure you can plus like the other poster said you get complete control of what you write etc etc, compared to one extra exam where you got to cram all that information. Good Luck! x

p.s My dissertation was 30crds so was worth alot

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Just wondering how long it took before you got your marks back for dissertation? (those of you that have them anyway). I handed mine in on 27th may and am not sure if I will get a mark back before degree results come out :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixie123)
    Hey guys

Just wondering how long it took before you got your marks back for dissertation? (those of you that have them anyway). I handed mine in on 27th may and am not sure if I will get a mark back before degree results come out :s
    We handed our Final Year Projects in on 9th May and they've said they won't be available for collection until June 14th - our degree results are out by 17th, so you might be able to get your marks for it before the final degree results, but it depends how/when they mark it I think.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I got mine back the day after the dissertation oral exam. Hopefully you'll get your marks back

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

We submitted ours on March 23rd. We are due to get our marks back from June 27th+. Overall degree results day for us is July 14th before the graduation ceremonies from July 18th.

ReputationRep:
    gave ours in on 13/05 (friday the 13th out all days lol).....we aren't getting ours back until results day which is 17/06

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies guys . I think our results are out beginning of July so might get our diss marks back before then, fingers crossed anyways lol

ReputationRep:
    I got mine back on results day. I got an 18 (~90%) - very pleased! Still a 2:i overall degree classification though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luser)
    I got mine back on results day. I got an 18 (~90%) - very pleased! Still a 2:i overall degree classification though.
    omgggggg blood 'ell...dts amazing well doneeeeeeeeee getting mines next week (fingers crossed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luser)
    Awesome, congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I'm sure you'll do great too, I'm just glad it's over to be honest

ReputationRep:
    i got my results back a week ago (which was 2 1/2 weeks after we handed them in which i was impressed with) and got 57 which i am actually pretty pleased with

ReputationRep:
    when is everyone else's results?? mines coming out on friday :O :O ....and the days just seems to be soo long..i hate waiting good luck guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jus-mi)
    when is everyone else's results?? mines coming out on friday :O :O ....and the days just seems to be soo long..i hate waiting good luck guys
    I find out my dissertation mark on July 14th. It is ages away. Especially as I submitted in mid March! But, nevermind. Good luck for Friday!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really chewing my nails over my dissertation mark, we're not even sure when we'll get it - the general consensus is around early July-ish, as that's when we received our results online for the past two years. I read through mine the other day and thought...this took a year? It seems really basic and uninteresting on reflection. But I suppose it's not healthy to torture myself over it, I worked my damned hardest and what will be will be.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.