The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

i've finally decided i need to go and see my superviser so i can really get cracking and he doesn't seems to be responding to my emails. excellent
Hello I've stalked around this thread before however last friday we got a lecture on starting the dissertation and was told we have until 1st April for what we want to do.

There is a couple of ideas, but how did everyone choose what they wanted to do for their dissertation. I have no idea and I am panicking like mad now and getting very stressed can anyone help on how they knew what they wanted and everything! I dont know what I want to do as a career all I know I dont want to teach and work in retail ever.
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Hello I've stalked around this thread before however last friday we got a lecture on starting the dissertation and was told we have until 1st April for what we want to do.

There is a couple of ideas, but how did everyone choose what they wanted to do for their dissertation. I have no idea and I am panicking like mad now and getting very stressed can anyone help on how they knew what they wanted and everything! I dont know what I want to do as a career all I know I dont want to teach and work in retail ever.

You don't have to to do something you intend to do as a career. Maybe look at what students have done in the past and think about subjects you're interested in. I wouldn't panic yet because you've got about 6 weeks. Mine's due in in 7!
Got two of my three substantive chapters written now and am well over the half way point [word count wise]. Yay! :smile:
Here's a question: controversial dissertation topics, good idea or bad idea? Is it a considerable risk?
Original post by screenager2004
Here's a question: controversial dissertation topics, good idea or bad idea? Is it a considerable risk?

I'd say good if it interests you and if your supervisor has an open mind.

If you can argue it in a proper academic manner, I don't see why not.
What sort of things do you have in mind? *curious* :smile:
Original post by hannah_dru
I'd say good if it interests you and if your supervisor has an open mind.

Original post by affinity89
If you can argue it in a proper academic manner, I don't see why not.
What sort of things do you have in mind? *curious* :smile:

It's not that controversial. I am thinking about looking at the historical relationship between the working class and particular breeds of working dogs, and the grass-roots political activist groups who want the Dangerous Dogs Act abolished or at least seriously revised.

The problem is, on one of my modules we touch upon 'youth gangs and status dogs as the new knives' - I personally feel that the idea of the 'chav status dog' is a myth. It's just class prejudice that is based on ignorance of working class culture. If my views call out course material as prejudiced and incorrect, would I be in danger of upsetting or inflaming them when marking it? I'm guessing it'll most likely be them assigned as my supervisor since the content closely matches their expertise!

When I type it out, it seems silly. Surely the professors would be more open minded than that.... I'm sure it will be fine. But part of me is saying "Do something a bit safer"

Anyway thank you both for your advice! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
It's not that controversial. I am thinking about looking at the historical relationship between the working class and particular breeds of working dogs, and the grass-roots political activist groups who want the Dangerous Dogs Act abolished or at least seriously revised.

The problem is, on one of my modules we touch upon 'youth gangs and status dogs as the new knives' - I personally feel that the idea of the 'chav status dog' is a myth. It's just class prejudice that is based on ignorance of working class culture. If my views call out course material as prejudiced and incorrect, would I be in danger of upsetting or inflaming them when marking it? I'm guessing it'll most likely be them assigned as my supervisor since the content closely matches their expertise!

When I type it out, it seems silly. Surely the professors would be more open minded than that.... I'm sure it will be fine. But part of me is saying "Do something a bit safer"

We got told that if anything overlaps with module content then we couldn't do it. I'd imagine though that it shouldn't upset them if you're well justified. If you wanna do it I'd say do it.

It doesn't sound silly.
I've been having the same sort of dilemma about one of my other courses.

The tutor loves Gandhi. Everything he did was perfect and justified and always well thought out. When people express views that oppose that version of events, she gets a bit annoyed and just reinforces why Gandhi is perfect.

One of the essay questions on the list is about Ambedkar and Gandhi and basically 'who was right'. I really want to do the question as I like the writings of Ambedkar. I know that neither are perfect and there would be some elements of balance, but I would essentially be arguing in favour of Ambedkar and against Gandhi. I am worried that she will mark it more harshly because my stance opposes so greatly with her. It must be hard not to mark with prejudice when you feel so strongly about something... I still haven't made up my mind lol. :smile:

If you can find the materials to work from, and you are passionate about your subject, go for it. The dissertation is a big piece of work and if you don't like the topic, it is 100 times harder...
Original post by affinity89
It doesn't sound silly.
I've been having the same sort of dilemma about one of my other courses.

The tutor loves Gandhi. Everything he did was perfect and justified and always well thought out. When people express views that oppose that version of events, she gets a bit annoyed and just reinforces why Gandhi is perfect.

One of the essay questions on the list is about Ambedkar and Gandhi and basically 'who was right'. I really want to do the question as I like the writings of Ambedkar. I know that neither are perfect and there would be some elements of balance, but I would essentially be arguing in favour of Ambedkar and against Gandhi. I am worried that she will mark it more harshly because my stance opposes so greatly with her. It must be hard not to mark with prejudice when you feel so strongly about something... I still haven't made up my mind lol. :smile:

If you can find the materials to work from, and you are passionate about your subject, go for it. The dissertation is a big piece of work and if you don't like the topic, it is 100 times harder...

Is it an assessed essay? I love using non-assessed essays just to test out different styles of writing or perspectives to see whether markers respond well to them or not. If it's worth a big part of your mark then I can understand why you'd be slightly wary!!!

I'm sure that the mark schemes wouldn't give much room for marker's personal values, and if you got a bizarrely low mark, you'd have good grounds to appeal?
Is it an assessed essay? I love using non-assessed essays just to test out different styles of writing or perspectives to see whether markers respond well to them or not. If it's worth a big part of your mark then I can understand why you'd be slightly wary!!!

I'm sure that the mark schemes wouldn't give much room for marker's personal values, and if you got a bizarrely low mark, you'd have good grounds to appeal?

I don't do any non-assessed essays. :smile: It is 40% of the course mark [the rest is so the exam].

We'll see. I might pick a different question just to be safe lol. I got an amazing mark on her last essay [for another course], so I might just try to stay in her good books lol. The last lad who insulted Gandhi ended up being picked on in the lecture lol!
Reply 172
I'm getting very bored of the endless reading of books and journals. So much so that I'm actually looking forward to writing it up, which is a bit weird.
Ugh, trying to write my 'extended plan' at the moment...I don't even know what is supposed to be in it. I hate writing plans, but I know it's important for an essay this length in particular. All it seems to be reinforcing though is that I've got far too much to say in 10,000 words and not enough evidence to prove it. =[ I think I'm just writing up my 'simple plan' in a slightly more verbose way....
Draft handed in. Being read (probably as I type this) by my supervisor. Meeting to discuss it on Wednesday - I'm more nervous now than I probably will be when it's handed in finished!
I've hit the halfway point and I'm really enjoying writing my dissertation tbh, even though the results of the analysis are becoming stereotypical in places.
If anyone needs advice on proofreading their dissertation, download a free e-book, The Student's Guide to Proofreading from http://www.ctjt.biz/effective_online_courses/student.html
Reply 177
How are you guys having your first page?
Title
Picture or Name or uni?
student number
Submission Date?

Is it good to have acknowledgements?

Also what FONT are you all using?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 178
no one?
The title on a title page is pretty much a given. Name and student number below it. A picture's not really relevant to my topic, so I'm not going to bother finding one.

Don't know about acknowledgements, seems a bit strange to do it for an undergraduate dissertation.

I'm using Verdana pt 10, since that's the font the department asks us to use.

Quick Reply

Latest