Turn on thread page Beta

My best friend of 17 years forgot it was my birthday! watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue when anybody's birthdays are (with the exception of my family),

-that's what Facebook is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    :yawn:

It's the way you use terms to describe things/people. You might think the OP is making a fuss out of nothing (which is your opinion, so fair enough), but to call her egotistical and self centred.. Bit far me thinks :curious:
    I don't make a big deal out of people not knowing however many years ago I was born on a particular day, and then expect them to somehow remember and then contact me because of it.

There are probably more important things going on in their life to start worrying about such trivial things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    I don't make a big deal out of people not knowing however many years ago I was born on a particular day, and then expect them to somehow remember and then contact me because of it.

There are probably more important things going on in their life to start worrying about such trivial things.
    Yes there probably are, but it doesn't mean trivial things can't hurt you. The OP's talking about her best friend of 17 years, not just a normal mate she met a few months ago - there's a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, people have their own lives you know. And yet you expect everyone to drop everything their doing just to acknowledge it's the anniversary of your birth?? How egoistical can you get. Nobody gives a flying ***** that it's your birthday.
    Well maybe nobody gives a flying ...... about your comments? Your reply was harsh and unnecessary.

OP, it's not pleasant to expect something and for it not to happen, but they may have just been caught up in other things. Never mind! I just try and remember that people don't intend to go out and make you feel bad (unless maybe you're the poster above).

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to remind her/mention it in passing previously? Because I'm rubbish with dates and sometimes get confused about my own birthday, let alone remembering anyone elses' ... and that includes my younger siblings, parents, and any other members of the family I've know my entire life.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    My mother forgot it was my son's 2nd birthday last year. She was on holiday in Turkey - she left no card or present for him before she went, and on the day there was no phone call, no text message, nothing. She just plain forgot it.

This year, for his 3rd birthday, she presented him with a toy train which was melted as though it had been held near heat. It was completely unusable.

This year she flat out refused to buy my youngest son a present for his first birthday (2 days ago) stating that 1 year olds don't need anything. She has brought him a card today (2 days late) but that's all.
    She has given my daughter a card for her 5th birthday (yesterday), a day late, and a book from Tesco but only because I nagged her like crazy to get something for her.

Oh and she bought my husband and I some tins of meatballs in tomato sauce for our wedding present.

So.....your friend forgetting your birthday ONCE doesn't seem that bad to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be a bit annoyed. Facebook makes it ridiculously easy to remember birthdays, and it only takes a moment to text. I wouldn't call her. But if she apologises then I'd forget all about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    My mother forgot it was my son's 2nd birthday last year. She was on holiday in Turkey - she left no card or present for him before she went, and on the day there was no phone call, no text message, nothing. She just plain forgot it.

This year, for his 3rd birthday, she presented him with a toy train which was melted as though it had been held near heat. It was completely unusable.

This year she flat out refused to buy my youngest son a present for his first birthday (2 days ago) stating that 1 year olds don't need anything. She has brought him a card today (2 days late) but that's all.
    She has given my daughter a card for her 5th birthday (yesterday), a day late, and a book from Tesco but only because I nagged her like crazy to get something for her.

Oh and she bought my husband and I some tins of meatballs in tomato sauce for our wedding present.

If I'm honest, it doesn't matter how many times someone forgets another's birthday beyond the age of like 18. I just don't see the big deal. OMG you forgot my birthday, the world is going to end :sad:.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my friends forget my birthday in the summer. I don't actually care tbh it's just the fact that I have to buy them presents throughout the year when it's their b-day but because it's summer and they don't see me they don't get me a present. If it was like 3 people I wouldn't mind but when it's like 12 people to buy presents for. It's actually uplifting when my friends get me something

ReputationRep:
    Happy Birthday!

Have you been ignoring her at all - have you made an effort to phone her and organise something for your birthday?

It could be that she's got a lot going on, or maybe you are just starting to drift apart. Don't waste your life on the one person - I'm sure you've got friends at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Yes there probably are, but it doesn't mean trivial things can't hurt you. The OP's talking about her best friend of 17 years, not just a normal mate she met a few months ago - there's a difference.
    Why does it matter if it's your birthday or not? It's not really that important in the grand scheme of things.
    The fact is that the OP is bitter at her friend, and has the cheek to blame the relationship her friend has with her boyfriend which she is clearly quite jealous of.

Her friend has quite clearly moved on from her, they are both in separate unis on other sides of the country and have been for two years. When was the last time you saw her OP?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if it's your birthday or not? It's not really that important in the grand scheme of things.
    The fact is that the OP is bitter at her friend, and has the cheek to blame the relationship her friend has with her boyfriend which she is clearly quite jealous of.

Her friend has quite clearly moved on from her, they are both in separate unis on other sides of the country and have been for two years. When was the last time you saw her OP?
    a. We made a big deal out of each others birthdays and always talked about them before, so it's out of the blue.

b. I am not jealous of her boyfriend , I have a 3 year relationship of my own, and I'm certainly not jealous of someone who blocks out all of her friends and concentrates on this one guy who is a cheat.

c. I saw her 2 weeks ago.

d. Coincidentally when I last saw her, she was moaning about how this guy didn't bother to say happy birthday to her and her friend when they had a joint party at Uni.

ReputationRep:

The OP's replied to the last few things you've said. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to offer some advice (which is what she's asking for). If you don't think she needs advice, then why bother replying to this thread at all?

It's not an opportunity to put people down. Her birthday matters to her regardless of your own opinions, and that's all that's important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    a
    b. I am not jealous of her boyfriend , I have a 3 year relationship of my own, and I'm certainly not jealous of someone who blocks out all of her friends and concentrates on this one guy who is a cheat.
    How? You clearly are jealous of the amount of attention she pays to him and not you.

c. I saw her 2 weeks ago.

d. Coincidentally when I last saw her, she was moaning about how this guy didn't bother to say happy birthday to her and her friend when they had a joint party at Uni.
    Well that's understandable, if you invite someone to your birthday party, you'd expect them to say happy birthday to you at least as a thankyou.

So far it seems to me that you feel like she owes you something, and that she shouldn't be spending so much time on her boyfriend and more time on you. I can't think of a more selfish friend, who are you to decide how and on who she spends her time? You sound like a control freak tbh.

The OP's replied to the last few things you've said. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to offer some advice (which is what she's asking for).
    Ok. Stop caring so much about petty things?

ReputationRep:
    Says the guy creating petty, self-satisfying arguments for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it's my birthday tomorrow and i keep forgetting.

ReputationRep:
    We have been best friends since we can remember. Grown up together,right up until we went to Uni. I went down south she went far up north. She's met this guy and is absolutely besotted by him, now has tunnel vision because of him and is forgetting everyone around her. Every year we always do something or get each other something for our birthdays, from weekend trips to London, or meals out, we always made each others birthdays good. But yesterday, I didn't get even a phone call saying happy birthday, or a text, facebook message, card, anything, and it really hurts because I dunno, I just find it hard to believe shes forgotten it, I think she's just avoiding me and just too busy with her boyfriend. I've had a boyfriend for over three years, yet always made time for her and other friends.

I don't know whether to ring her, but what would I say?

Edit: We are second years, so it's not the whole moving away from Uni thing because last year she sent me a present.
    The fact that you love the shaytards means you're awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobrabite11)
    The fact that you love the shaytards means you're awesome.
    I admit.. I am an ultimate fan.. I watch the latest video every night before I go to bed haha. Did you see last nights?

ReputationRep:
    How? You clearly are jealous of the amount of attention she pays to him and not you.

No I'm not. I am stunned that she is doing this, as it is completely out of character for her a. in general and b. to forget my birthday

Well that's understandable, if you invite someone to your birthday party, you'd expect them to say happy birthday to you at least as a thankyou.

So far it seems to me that you feel like she owes you something, and that she shouldn't be spending so much time on her boyfriend and more time on you. I can't think of a more selfish friend, who are you to decide how and on who she spends her time? You sound like a control freak tbh.

Control freak? What kind of person alienates everyone and concentrates all of their time on one guy? I understand, it may be difficult at first to find a balance between your relationship and your friendships, but you don't just shove everyone else out of the way for one guy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.