Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the main policies of the three main political parties?

ReputationRep:
    Ask A Moderator is for TSR issues, not general questions.

ReputationRep:
    Generally Conservatives want more power to local people (de-centralisation of power), want green issues to be a key issue, want lower council tax, want to get more young people/long term unemployed off benefits and into work, stop the National Insurance increace for anyone earning under £35000 to a) save people money b) encourage businesses to take on extra workers, help people manage their debt better (new 7 day cooling off policy on cards, ensure no-one is forced out of their home for debts of less than £25k), tax cuts to encourage enterprise/hard work and people to earn more, reduce excessive public sector wages for those earning £150k plus a year, giving patients more choice in the NHS, less paper/form filling for police/doctors. Over time build better transport infrasturcture when Britains financial position improves. Want nuclear weapons as self defense. Most in party want to be in Europe, but oppose the many billions we pay to Spain, France and Eastern Europe as part of the package...opposed to any idea of a European state (United States of Europe). Opposed to graduate tax, ideally want university education as it is now, although with funding gap may look at tuition fees increace to £5k a year from £3,100k as it is now, but under the same system with massively subsidised graduate loans...still a big increace, but I doubt most universitys will charge this, only ones like Oxford, Cam, LSE, Bristol etc.

Labour wanted ID cards, more centralisation of power, dramatic increace in size of state (as a percentage of GDP it went from 37% in 1997 to around 50-51% in 2008, although in some areas its higher than parts of the former Soviet Union (North East, N Ireland, Wales), not to cut are deficit in any meaningful way (although the former Chancellor, Darling, said this was a necessity). Want nuclear weapons as self defense. Mostly pro-European, want more integration. Wanted increaces in Taxes (see council tax rises, petrol duty, numerous stealth taxes, pensions tax on dividends, 50% rate, holding of tax threasholds so more people pushed into higher rates. New leader (Ed) supports idea of a graduate tax.

Lib Dems - depends on which side of the party. Clegg was always on the right of the party (the whole suprise on the coalition amazes me, I wrote a paper on how I thought it was possible in March 2008 - as the partys are very similar in reality!) and has very similar beliefs to Cons. Cable and many party activists are on the left. Basically the bits they share a fair bit with the Cons, are no ID cards etc.

Key differences with Cons are that left of party want dramatic tax increaces, unofficially on anyone earning £50k plus, and they oppose nuclear power. Also, completely opposed to nuclear weapons and anti nuclear power. They are pro Europe and support the creation of a United States of Europe (or federal europe), eventually. Clegg wanted lower taxes but Cable led party to left at last conference and realised he couldnt sell it to the party. Support the introduction of a graduate tax.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I'm not going to provide you with in depth policies of each party - you can look at their last manifestos and current websitrs, for that. But to put simply, their reasons for their policies are as follows:

Lib Dems: To have a free society in which people have the chance to do make their own decisions. To prop up a Tory government and sell out the grass roots of the party to line the pockets of Clegg and co with money and power.

Tory: A conservative society in which people have their life chances set out at birth. The rich should get richer, and the poor are on their own to do as they wish...unless it interferes with the rich getting richer, in which case the poor are tackled in an unscrupulous manner.

Labour: To create a more equal and fairer society in which people are looked after and not discriminated against unfairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Obviously I'm not going to provide you with in depth policies of each party - you can look at their last manifestos and current websitrs, for that. But to put simply, their reasons for their policies are as follows:

Lib Dems: To have a free society in which people have the chance to do make their own decisions. To prop up a Tory government and sell out the grass roots of the party to line the pockets of Clegg and co with money and power.

Tory: A conservative society in which people have their life chances set out at birth. The rich should get richer, and the poor are on their own to do as they wish...unless it interferes with the rich getting richer, in which case the poor are tackled in an unscrupulous manner.

Labour: To create a more equal and fairer society in which people are looked after and not discriminated against unfairly.
    Very impartial, well done.

I see you have still not sourced that lie of a quote.

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia it would be a start. Any answer here (and I include my own if I attempted it) will consciously or otherwise be biased.

ReputationRep:
    Depends who you ask. Primary goals of main 2 parties are:

Tories: Reduce support for people i.e. cut spending.

Labour: Work towards higher levels of equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    Depends who you ask. Primary goals of main 2 parties are:

Tories: Reduce support for people i.e. cut spending.

Labour: Work towards higher levels of equality.
    What a load of tosh... This post is the sort of crap you get from Teveth... Please Roshi, I expected better.

ReputationRep:
    Read for yourself or listen to Teveth, your choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

I wonder where your loyalties lie :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    All the detailed replies are soooo biased lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    What a load of tosh... This post is the sort of crap you get from Teveth... Please Roshi, I expected better.
    Honestly thought it was a neutral post , I can't help it if it's impossible to describe the Tories in a good light

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    Honestly thought it was a neutral post , I can't help it if it's impossible to describe the Tories in a good light
    It was intentionally bias and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    Labour: social democracy, fairness, equality, tax and spend (to an extent), improved public services.

Conservatives: low tax for the rich, no help for the poor, privatisation.

Green Party: helping the environment, distributing power to the people, a fairer society, improved public services.

There are the views of the three main parties that operate in all of Britain. The SNP and Plaid Cymru are pretty much self-explanatory.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Lol, not a Lib Dem then...

ReputationRep:
    To try to give a less biased account (as a swing voter and TSR Centre Party member):

Conservatives: for a small government, low tax economy and want to close the deficit by cutting services, rather than raising tax. Tend to be socially conservative (ie. for traditions over personal liberty) but more recently they've combined the preservation of tradition with an emphasis on greater personal liberty. Also tend to focus on charity and religious or voluntary organisations to solves society's problems, with little government interference. Believe in a strong defence.

Labour: are willing to levy higher taxes, especially on the rich, to pay for stronger public services. Tend to favour centralisation and bigger government to combat society's ills.

Lib Dems: tend to sit in between the other two on taxes and spending, being more willing to make spending cuts than Labour and more willing to tax the rich than the Conservatives, with a clear emphasis on reforming services. Believes in personal liberty, both in the sense of the government not stopping people doing stuff and providing greater opportunity for poorer citizens. Also believes in political reform, internationalism (the EU and UN) and be against UK military action.

This focuses on their leadership and the policies they officially espouse. The Conservatives also have a right wing that really wants to slash services and government interference (except defence); Labour have a left wing that wants to make society more equal through punitive taxes on the rich; and the Lib Dems have a split with some social democrats who came from Labour (both when the Lib Dems were formed and due to the Iraq War) and some more classical liberals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy5788)
    ^ Lol, not a Lib Dem then...
    I thought they are all Tories now, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Conservative: Creating economic freedom for individuals, and helping retain society's morals and values

Labour: High taxes to create economic equality, and emphasising on social freedoms

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.