sammynortonn
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
The question is basically in the title, are you officially allowed to have a mini fridge in your room?

'Cause i remember reading somewhere that you aren't, but on a second attempt I couldn't find the information either way.
Help?
Michel Foucault
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In university-owned halls, officially you're not. But you might/should/could be able to get away with one if you cover it up for the cleaners/get friendly with them and make them cups of coffee when they come so they're less inclined to kick up a fuss about it. Or you might not even have to do that, it really does depend on your cleaners as they're really the only people that are likely to point it out to powers that be. I had one in my room all last year, made no attempt whatsoever to hide it nor to sweeten up the cleaners who could have reported it - and never heard a word about it.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
why aren't you allowed to have a mini fridge in your room? I mean it's one thing to not be allowed to have fire hazards like toasters and stuff but a fridge?
Emily2402
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
most places say you arent but in reality nobody gives a crap if you do or not, ive had a mini fridge and a tropical fish tank in my room for over a year and nobody says a thing even when maintenance staff etc come in
Emily2402
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its like a lot o things in student accommodation they say you cant but as long as it isnt effecting anyone else they dont really care
Hell_bringer1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im bringing one anyway so...
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
You get inspected so rarely that I doubt it's going to be a problem.
Phobia27
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by strawberry)
why aren't you allowed to have a mini fridge in your room? I mean it's one thing to not be allowed to have fire hazards like toasters and stuff but a fridge?
Fridges need lots of ventilation, so if you drunkenly cover it with a top, or cover it when trying to hide it, it will cause the fridge to overheat and (ironically) set on fire. And if you put it near a radiator, spill a drink over it that you stored in your fridge, etc. And they're also a massive energy consumer, if everyone had one it would be a hefty bill for the uni.
strawberry
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
HMMM that would explain why my university has a huge energy bill xD
baby_emmy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had one 4/5 years in my room in halls (final year just couldn't be bothered to have it my room anymore), never a problem. I was usually in my room when it was inspection so just threw a blanket over it just incase but don't think they actually noticed. Mine was under my desk as it fitted nicely there and not too obvious

-x-
bcji
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Interesting thread, i was thinking of getting a mini fridge for my room, can anybody link me to a good one?
Hell_bringer1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bcji)
Interesting thread, i was thinking of getting a mini fridge for my room, can anybody link me to a good one?
Depends on your budget
sammynortonn
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks very much for the help guys, i've already moved in now, and everything's set up, i left the mini fridge for the time being but i will consider bringing one back up with me after christmas!

thanks again :woo:
jumpinglunch
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah had one for 2 years after random d1cks came and stole my jam!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Jun '20
    Sat, 27 Jun '20
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads