Turn on thread page Beta

Functional skills? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to do an NVQ Level 2 in Business Administration at college, and the other training I have to do at college as well is Functional Skill Level 2 in Communication Key Skill, and Functional Skill Level 1 in Application of Number Employers Rights and Responsibilities (ERR). Can someone just explain what they are and what I would be doing for them please?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nubcaek)
    I'm about to do an NVQ Level 2 in Business Administration at college, and the other training I have to do at college as well is Functional Skill Level 2 in Communication Key Skill, and Functional Skill Level 1 in Application of Number Employers Rights and Responsibilities (ERR). Can someone just explain what they are and what I would be doing for them please?
    Question:

You doing Key Skills Level 2 in Communication or is it both Key Skills AND Functional Skills Communication Level 2 as well?

Answer:

If you are doing both it won't matter it is still counted as equivalent to GCSE. If you are thinking of going to university, I would still advise you to study both.
    Key Skills are scrapped, and therefore they will no longer be in UCAS points. However it is being extended to finish until March 2011.
    Functional Skills is similar to Key Skills, however unlike Key Skills you will need to complete a portfolio which consists of coursework, but if you're doing Functional Skills, you won't need to complete a portfolio, but there WILL be an exam.

Read my signature if you want me to help you more with this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    Question:

You doing Key Skills Level 2 in Communication or is it both Key Skills AND Functional Skills Communication Level 2 as well?

Answer:

If you are doing both it won't matter it is still counted as equivalent to GCSE. If you are thinking of going to university, I would still advise you to study both.
    Key Skills are scrapped, and therefore they will no longer be in UCAS points. However it is being extended to finish until March 2011.
    Functional Skills is similar to Key Skills, however unlike Key Skills you will need to complete a portfolio which consists of coursework, but if you're doing Functional Skills, you won't need to complete a portfolio, but there WILL be an exam.

Read my signature if you want me to help you more with this thread.
    On the apprenticeship vacancy website where the position that I have been accepted for is, under training it says those exact words - Functional Skill Level 2 in Communication Key Skill, so I'm not sure either. I'll have to ask the college.

But I see now, thanks a lot. Can you expand on things I would be doing or is it pretty much what it says on the tin, so to say?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    On the apprenticeship vacancy website where the position that I have been accepted for is, under training it says those exact words - Functional Skill Level 2 in Communication Key Skill, so I'm not sure either. I'll have to ask the college.

But I see now, thanks a lot. Can you expand on things I would be doing or is it pretty much what it says on the tin, so to say?
    Well I did Level 2 Communication in Key Skills so yeah I do EXACTLY know what you will be doing and passed it, so trust me.

Like I said on my previous post on your thread, you will be doing a portfolio which is basically coursework. You will be comparing articles (if I can remember, it is 2 articles) about a particular topic...I did it on about knife and gun crime, I don't know if you will be doing the same topic...
    Anyway you will also do a presentation about another particular subject topic, I chose Friends the TV series because I am a massive fan.
    You will then be tested on the presentation by your Key Skills Communication tutor based on your confidence, how you speak (in a presentation, you need to speak very loud and very clearly) and eye contact to your audience.
    After that you will then need to complete an exam (this will be in June/July time I think).
    Then your Key Skills Communication tutor will send your Key Skills portfolio to the exam board (OCR) and they will decide whether you have passed or failed your portfolio. May I note to you that your test is combined with Key Skills however your exam and certificate that you will be doing is called Adult Literacy Level 2. Your exam will be either based on a computer or on paper. You will need to speak to your Key Skills Communication tutor about this. To get your results from a computer I think you will get it straight away. However if you do a paper test you will get your results through the post which will be in June/July-ish.

If you're doing Functional Skills (if English Level 2) with Key Skills Communication Level 2, you do not require to complete a portfolio for Function Skills only. BUT there is still an exam to complete. In your lessons you will just basically learn English readily in preparation for the exam.

I hope I made sense about this, I'm a bit dyslexic I'm afraid, but I DO know what I am doing. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Well I did Level 2 Communication in Key Skills so yeah I do EXACTLY know what you will be doing and passed it, so trust me.

Like I said on my previous post on your thread, you will be doing a portfolio which is basically coursework. You will be comparing articles (if I can remember, it is 2 articles) about a particular topic...I did it on about knife and gun crime, I don't know if you will be doing the same topic...
    Anyway you will also do a presentation about another particular subject topic, I chose Friends the TV series because I am a massive fan.
    You will then be tested on the presentation by your Key Skills Communication tutor based on your confidence, how you speak (in a presentation, you need to speak very loud and very clearly) and eye contact to your audience.
    After that you will then need to complete an exam (this will be in June/July time I think).
    Then your Key Skills Communication tutor will send your Key Skills portfolio to the exam board (OCR) and they will decide whether you have passed or failed your portfolio. May I note to you that your test is combined with Key Skills however your exam and certificate that you will be doing is called Adult Literacy Level 2. Your exam will be either based on a computer or on paper. You will need to speak to your Key Skills Communication tutor about this. To get your results from a computer I think you will get it straight away. However if you do a paper test you will get your results through the post which will be in June/July-ish.

If you're doing Functional Skills (if English Level 2) with Key Skills Communication Level 2, you do not require to complete a portfolio for Function Skills only. BUT there is still an exam to complete. In your lessons you will just basically learn English readily in preparation for the exam.

I hope I made sense about this, I'm a bit dyslexic I'm afraid, but I DO know what I am doing. :yes:
    Thank you, it made perfect sense, that's really helpful! One thing though, you said this - "May I note to you that your test is combined with Key Skills however your exam and certificate that you will be doing is called Adult Literacy Level 2." I did both an adult literacy level 2 and adult numeracy level 2 when I was at school. Still haven't got the results yet actually, but I mean... does that affect anything?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you, it made perfect sense, that's really helpful! One thing though, you said this - "May I note to you that your test is combined with Key Skills however your exam and certificate that you will be doing is called Adult Literacy Level 2." I did both an adult literacy level 2 and adult numeracy level 2 when I was at school. Still haven't got the results yet actually, but I mean... does that affect anything?
    Firstly, did you pass both of them? I would contact your school if you don't know if you passed.

If you failed though then you would need to do it again. :sadnod:

If you passed both however then you MIGHT be exempt. But thats up to the institution.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, did you pass both of them? I would contact your school if you don't know if you passed.

If you failed though then you would need to do it again. :sadnod:

If you passed both however then you MIGHT be exempt. But thats up to the institution.
    Okay yeah, I'll contact them tomorrow and find out. I'd be surprised if I didn't pass them but I guess I'll see :p:
    Thanks for the help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Okay yeah, I'll contact them tomorrow and find out. I'd be surprised if I didn't pass them but I guess I'll see :p:
    Thanks for the help.
    :top:

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.