Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to go on the SAS for English (I'm at Keele Uni) but the website for Keele didn't mention about placements for English, only Maths, Science, ICT and Design. I know the SAS is excellent for gaining experience for applying for a PGCE and is an advantage to your application. Any advice on this matter? Need help urgently. Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You don't have to do it at Keele. Pick somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You don't have to do it at Keele. Pick somewhere else.
    Is this possible? I don't think a lot of institutions do it because it is not a priority subject. Thanks for the post.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AverageJoe92)
    Is this possible? I don't think a lot of institutions do it because it is not a priority subject. Thanks for the post.
    Yes, it is possible. 10% of SAS places are for Secondary English. You will need to research where they are.

ReputationRep:
    hhmmmm, well thank you very much for that, I shall do that and find one. Thing is that it is not a priority subject. Since there are not as many places as other subjects for secondary, do you think they will be as demanding over you having done it when applying to the PGCE for English? Thanks for your help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hhmmmm, well thank you very much for that, I shall do that and find one. Thing is that it is not a priority subject. Since there are not as many places as other subjects for secondary, do you think they will be as demanding over you having done it when applying to the PGCE for English? Thanks for your help.
    You don't have to do the SAS to take a PGCE. Most people don't. However, it is great to be paid to get school experience. I highly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You don't have to do the SAS to take a PGCE. Most people don't. However, it is great to be paid to get school experience. I highly recommend it.
    Thank you. I will be racking up lots of experience in schools over the next 2 years of my degree and I have also had roughly 5 years working in a local Youth Club where I am a leader. I also do Private Tutoring. Thanks and do you know of any Universities that offer the SAS in English? Thanks again and added rep.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks and do you know of any Universities that offer the SAS in English?
    Nope sorry but I know that when contracts were awarded in 2008, they ran for 3 years and 10% of funding was for secondary english so there must be a course or two out there somewhere!

This might well be the last year of SAS by the way, it is quite likely to be axed in the Spending Review.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Nope sorry but I know that when contracts were awarded in 2008, they ran for 3 years and 10% of funding was for secondary english so there must be a course or two out there somewhere!

This might well be the last year of SAS by the way, it is quite likely to be axed in the Spending Review.
    I see, well I will look. That is a shame about the removal of this scheme. It seems to be quite good. :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see, well I will look. That is a shame about the removal of this scheme. It seems to be quite good. :/
    It is very good. It is also non-essential and expensive. Budgets are being squeezed until the pips squeak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It is very good. It is also non-essential and expensive. Budgets are being squeezed until the pips squeak.
    Shame still. Do you happen to know how much experience the average PGCE applicant has? I heard it is about 20 days.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Shame still. Do you happen to know how much experience the average PGCE applicant has? I heard it is about 20 days.
    That sounds reasonable. Some only have a few days though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    That sounds reasonable. Some only have a few days though.
    And these people get on the course? They must have an amazing PS! Would need to with such little experience. I am hoping to volunteer about 1 day a week in my first year of Uni and maybe the same in my second year. I think I will have quite a significant number of days more than most then!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And these people get on the course? They must have an amazing PS! Would need to with such little experience. I am hoping to volunteer about 1 day a week in my first year of Uni and maybe the same in my second year. I think I will have quite a significant number of days more than most then!
    Blimey. You are too early in your university career for SAS. Most do it in their third year (second year if they are particularly keen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Blimey. You are too early in your university career for SAS. Most do it in their third year (second year if they are particularly keen).
    I understand completely but I would like to do most now and get in as much experience as possible. Was also talking to someone who got on the PGCE course with about 7 days experience, they said what they are looking for most of all is commitment to a teaching role. Since there are miniscule places available for English, I believe it will be best to apply in my second year when I have racked up some experience as well. Thanks for your help with everything. Truly appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I understand completely but I would like to do most now and get in as much experience as possible. Was also talking to someone who got on the PGCE course with about 7 days experience, they said what they are looking for most of all is commitment to a teaching role. Since there are miniscule places available for English, I believe it will be best to apply in my second year when I have racked up some experience as well. Thanks for your help with everything. Truly appreciate it.
    English is the fourth largest subject behind science, mathematics and modern languages in terms of the number of trainee teachers. While the number of SAS places for English students is probably lower than it should be, I can understand the emphasis on STEM subjects. Nevertheless, I would not say that the number of places is minuscule.

Anyway, my previous university did not do English, and the University of Manchester refused to take students from other universities so I (speculatively) contacted other universities in the region before filling out an application for Liverpool John Moores University. I got onto their scheme no problem and found that there were students from other universities, which is not surprising since LJMU are in charge of the Liverpool area; that is, they run the scheme on behalf of the University of Liverpool and Liverpool Hope so everyone just gets mixed together. When it came to placements, they organised it so the school was not far from a particular train station so travelling was not that much of an issue either.

See if you can provider a regional provider who runs the scheme in partnership with other universities (rather than university x runs scheme for schools in town x) as you will be put together with other students from different backgrounds and universities, and you should get a good idea about how much experience you have in relation to them. It might not be possible (Liverpool might be a one-off area I do not know) but I think it gives a much better overall experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I did the SAS last year. I applied through Durham university and did the training day there. I was then asked where I wanted to fo the scheme and decided to do it at home in Kendal. They then placed me in a local school. From my experience you can do the SAS anywhere if you are good enough to be accepted. They will find a school for you anywhere in the country. Even in a rural area like where i live.

ReputationRep:
    vickiw89 makes a good point, though I am unsure whether every provider allows you to do a distant placement. Anyway, if you do take this option then you will often have to do your training earlier and do your placement earlier than normal; that is, earlier than at the end of June and beginning of July.

ReputationRep:
    The subject you teach through the Student Associates Scheme doesn't have to be the one you are applying for. A friend of mine did hers in Science at a local school (she had a-level science) but studies a degree in History and applied last year for a History PGCE (and yes, she got a place). Any classroom experience will be very helpful in your application.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.