The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
Unconditional for medical engineering

Congrats :smile: about time they got back to you!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 801
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Congrats :smile: about time they got back to you!

just checked this thread by random, they only made me wait 2 weeks, after 5months for medicine :tongue: I'll firm soon then apply to the tannery, can't seem to find anyone else on it though. Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Muffinz
Having second thoughts about my course (but not Leeds!) and looking to see if I can transfer within the uni... has anyone got the email of a general admissions officer who can help me? I have the entry reqs and everything for the course I'm looking to do. I don't really wanna go to another uni or take a gap year.

I've firmed an unconditional for English Lang and Lit and looking to change to Politics.

That's exactly waht I am trying to do myself atm! I firmed my unconditional offer at qmul for English, but really would like to change to English with Film! I don't have a clue yet whether this is possible however, if you manage to find anything out about this in your case please report, I will let you know if I got on with my transfer! :confused:
Reply 803
Original post by Ms. Bukowski
That's exactly waht I am trying to do myself atm! I firmed my unconditional offer at qmul for English, but really would like to change to English with Film! I don't have a clue yet whether this is possible however, if you manage to find anything out about this in your case please report, I will let you know if I got on with my transfer! :confused:

Just sent a sneaky email to the admissions officer for the Politics department. I'll see how that goes.
I just got informed that the flexibility of my English course allows me to choose from several film modules in 2nd/3rd year, which might be an option after all in case I can't change courses. This could apply to your course as well and might be a smart solution since you could combine both subjects of your interest!
Reply 805
Original post by Ms. Bukowski
I just got informed that the flexibility of my English course allows me to choose from several film modules in 2nd/3rd year, which might be an option after all in case I can't change courses. This could apply to your course as well and might be a smart solution since you could combine both subjects of your interest!

The issue is that I want to change disciplines entirely - I can't see myself doing the reading for English. I don't want to change unis and I don't want another gap year.
Hmm, in that case, if you can't change to Politics however, you still can apply for Extra (although you firmed your offer) if you ask to get released. Good luck!
Original post by Muffinz
The issue is that I want to change disciplines entirely - I can't see myself doing the reading for English. I don't want to change unis and I don't want another gap year.

Aw what a pity! We have a fb group and everything!! haha :wink:

If you cant change, it is worth looking into the electives. If you do well with the electives they're more likely to let you change your course to that subject. Better than a gap year I guess..

Good luck, anyhow! x
Reply 808
Original post by jeffercake
Aw what a pity! We have a fb group and everything!! haha :wink:

If you cant change, it is worth looking into the electives. If you do well with the electives they're more likely to let you change your course to that subject. Better than a gap year I guess..

Good luck, anyhow! x

This is what I sent:

I am a prospective student to the university, and have confirmed an
unconditional offer to read English Language and Literature this
September. However, I've been having second thoughts for a while (and
did so in my last UCAS cycle, too) that a Politics degree would be a
better choice for me than would the Literature degree. I only picked
up Government and Politics at A-level and so had little to base my
decision on at the time I finished my first UCAS application, and had
convinced myself English was the best choice by results day as it was
too late to consider other options. In this mindset I simply reapplied
for the same subject as quickly as possible. I've been considering
what I've spent my free time doing during my gap year, and it all
relates to Politics: reading newspapers, watching Newsnight and
Question Time, longing for my old Politics textbook and campaigning
for the Alternative Vote. I feel as though Politics is something I
would be far more engaged with outside lectures and seminars than the
English course I currently have a place on.

I am writing to enquire into my options from here. Ideally I do not
want to take another gap year or change universities, as I loved the
atmosphere of Leeds as a campus and city when I visited. Would it be
possible to change courses for entry into the first year, or are all
the places full at this point? Would it be possible for me to transfer
into the second year of the degree?

The course I am looking at is L200 BA Politics. My A-level grades are
A*AB (English Literature, Politics and Mathematics respectively), so
from the prospectus I meet the entry requirements of the course.

As I'm still undecided about the change, I am simply writing for
information about my situation and what I can do now.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to your response,

With names etc. I just want to know what my options are, don't want to set anything in motion yet.
Original post by Muffinz
This is what I sent:

With names etc. I just want to know what my options are, don't want to set anything in motion yet.

Sounds good!

Let us know how you get on, then i know whether to bar you from the FB group :wink:

Kidddinnng. :tongue:
Reply 810
Original post by jeffercake
Sounds good!

Let us know how you get on, then i know whether to bar you from the FB group :wink:

Kidddinnng. :tongue:

I am sorry but we are unable to consider any further offers to our BA Politics for September 2011 entry. The course is now full.

A transfer (or change of programme) in your second year would only be possible if you have taken the relevant number of Politics modules as electives in your first year and would be at the discretion of the actual teaching school, not admissions. For details of the Politics programme, please see the following link:
http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201011&P=BA-POLI

The Programme Manager may be able to advise you on the relevant modules you will need to take in your first year.

Kind Regards,

:frown:

Not sure what to do.
Original post by Muffinz

Not sure what to do.

:console:

Well you need to think what you'd rather do - carry on as you are, with the English Lit /lang and take politics modules, or take another gap year...

If you carried on, you'd be doing Lit/Lang/Politics, a third of each. Doesnt sound too bad?

x
Reply 812
Original post by Muffinz

Not sure what to do.

If I was in your position I would carry on: go to Leeds, do the English modules, take your two Politics electives, and apply to transfer in the second year. You might find that you actually really enjoy the English modules anyway, and with the potential to do Politics electives throughout the three years you could effectively make it a joint honours in all but name.

Of course if you really can't see yourself doing English at all, even for one year, then you may have to take a second gap year... though I think that's really an inconvenience to be avoided if you possibly can.
Reply 813
Original post by James9876
If I was in your position I would carry on: go to Leeds, do the English modules, take your two Politics electives, and apply to transfer in the second year. You might find that you actually really enjoy the English modules anyway, and with the potential to do Politics electives throughout the three years you could effectively make it a joint honours in all but name.

Of course if you really can't see yourself doing English at all, even for one year, then you may have to take a second gap year... though I think that's really an inconvenience to be avoided if you possibly can.

Of course, that would be the simplest option. I'll probably find that my doubts fade over the next few months.
firmed leeds to do econonmics and japanese, anyone else doing this combination? think im the only one haha! :eek::confused::frown:
I have made Leeds my firm for sociology :smile:
Original post by Muffinz

Not sure what to do.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that it's easier to transfer your course once you're there rather than beforehand. Maybe once you've arrived you can talk to them about changing your course before it starts? Or in your second year? Although you do have to think if they say no after a year then would that year have been a waste?
Reply 817
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
I'm pretty sure I've seen that it's easier to transfer your course once you're there rather than beforehand. Maybe once you've arrived you can talk to them about changing your course before it starts? Or in your second year? Although you do have to think if they say no after a year then would that year have been a waste?

I'll just give it a go. I'll go to the Pol department and see what electives they'd want me to take thids year in order to transfer. If they don't let me, I could always drop out
Reply 818
History and Philosophy :smile:
My firm and insurance choices are both at Leeds :biggrin:

FIRM: Broadcast Journalism
INSURANCE: English with Linguistics

Latest