Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Unconditional for medical engineering
    Congrats about time they got back to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
    Congrats about time they got back to you!
    just checked this thread by random, they only made me wait 2 weeks, after 5months for medicine I'll firm soon then apply to the tannery, can't seem to find anyone else on it though. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Having second thoughts about my course (but not Leeds!) and looking to see if I can transfer within the uni... has anyone got the email of a general admissions officer who can help me? I have the entry reqs and everything for the course I'm looking to do. I don't really wanna go to another uni or take a gap year.

I've firmed an unconditional for English Lang and Lit and looking to change to Politics.
    That's exactly waht I am trying to do myself atm! I firmed my unconditional offer at qmul for English, but really would like to change to English with Film! I don't have a clue yet whether this is possible however, if you manage to find anything out about this in your case please report, I will let you know if I got on with my transfer! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms. Bukowski)
    That's exactly waht I am trying to do myself atm! I firmed my unconditional offer at qmul for English, but really would like to change to English with Film! I don't have a clue yet whether this is possible however, if you manage to find anything out about this in your case please report, I will let you know if I got on with my transfer! :confused:
    Just sent a sneaky email to the admissions officer for the Politics department. I'll see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    I just got informed that the flexibility of my English course allows me to choose from several film modules in 2nd/3rd year, which might be an option after all in case I can't change courses. This could apply to your course as well and might be a smart solution since you could combine both subjects of your interest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms. Bukowski)
    I just got informed that the flexibility of my English course allows me to choose from several film modules in 2nd/3rd year, which might be an option after all in case I can't change courses. This could apply to your course as well and might be a smart solution since you could combine both subjects of your interest!
    The issue is that I want to change disciplines entirely - I can't see myself doing the reading for English. I don't want to change unis and I don't want another gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, in that case, if you can't change to Politics however, you still can apply for Extra (although you firmed your offer) if you ask to get released. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The issue is that I want to change disciplines entirely - I can't see myself doing the reading for English. I don't want to change unis and I don't want another gap year.
    Aw what a pity! We have a fb group and everything!! haha

If you cant change, it is worth looking into the electives. If you do well with the electives they're more likely to let you change your course to that subject. Better than a gap year I guess..

Good luck, anyhow! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Aw what a pity! We have a fb group and everything!! haha

If you cant change, it is worth looking into the electives. If you do well with the electives they're more likely to let you change your course to that subject. Better than a gap year I guess..

Good luck, anyhow! x
    This is what I sent:

I am a prospective student to the university, and have confirmed an
    unconditional offer to read English Language and Literature this
    September. However, I've been having second thoughts for a while (and
    did so in my last UCAS cycle, too) that a Politics degree would be a
    better choice for me than would the Literature degree. I only picked
    up Government and Politics at A-level and so had little to base my
    decision on at the time I finished my first UCAS application, and had
    convinced myself English was the best choice by results day as it was
    too late to consider other options. In this mindset I simply reapplied
    for the same subject as quickly as possible. I've been considering
    what I've spent my free time doing during my gap year, and it all
    relates to Politics: reading newspapers, watching Newsnight and
    Question Time, longing for my old Politics textbook and campaigning
    for the Alternative Vote. I feel as though Politics is something I
    would be far more engaged with outside lectures and seminars than the
    English course I currently have a place on.

I am writing to enquire into my options from here. Ideally I do not
    want to take another gap year or change universities, as I loved the
    atmosphere of Leeds as a campus and city when I visited. Would it be
    possible to change courses for entry into the first year, or are all
    the places full at this point? Would it be possible for me to transfer
    into the second year of the degree?

The course I am looking at is L200 BA Politics. My A-level grades are
    A*AB (English Literature, Politics and Mathematics respectively), so
    from the prospectus I meet the entry requirements of the course.

As I'm still undecided about the change, I am simply writing for
    information about my situation and what I can do now.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to your response,
    With names etc. I just want to know what my options are, don't want to set anything in motion yet.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I sent:

With names etc. I just want to know what my options are, don't want to set anything in motion yet.
    Sounds good!

Let us know how you get on, then i know whether to bar you from the FB group

Kidddinnng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Sounds good!

Let us know how you get on, then i know whether to bar you from the FB group

Kidddinnng.
    I am sorry but we are unable to consider any further offers to our BA Politics for September 2011 entry. The course is now full.

A transfer (or change of programme) in your second year would only be possible if you have taken the relevant number of Politics modules as electives in your first year and would be at the discretion of the actual teaching school, not admissions. For details of the Politics programme, please see the following link:
    http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogu...1011&P=BA-POLI

The Programme Manager may be able to advise you on the relevant modules you will need to take in your first year.

Kind Regards,

Not sure what to do.

ReputationRep:

Not sure what to do.
    :console:

Well you need to think what you'd rather do - carry on as you are, with the English Lit /lang and take politics modules, or take another gap year...

If you carried on, you'd be doing Lit/Lang/Politics, a third of each. Doesnt sound too bad?

x

ReputationRep:

Not sure what to do.
    If I was in your position I would carry on: go to Leeds, do the English modules, take your two Politics electives, and apply to transfer in the second year. You might find that you actually really enjoy the English modules anyway, and with the potential to do Politics electives throughout the three years you could effectively make it a joint honours in all but name.

Of course if you really can't see yourself doing English at all, even for one year, then you may have to take a second gap year... though I think that's really an inconvenience to be avoided if you possibly can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James9876)
    If I was in your position I would carry on: go to Leeds, do the English modules, take your two Politics electives, and apply to transfer in the second year. You might find that you actually really enjoy the English modules anyway, and with the potential to do Politics electives throughout the three years you could effectively make it a joint honours in all but name.

Of course if you really can't see yourself doing English at all, even for one year, then you may have to take a second gap year... though I think that's really an inconvenience to be avoided if you possibly can.
    Of course, that would be the simplest option. I'll probably find that my doubts fade over the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    firmed leeds to do econonmics and japanese, anyone else doing this combination? think im the only one haha! :eek::confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have made Leeds my firm for sociology

ReputationRep:

Not sure what to do.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that it's easier to transfer your course once you're there rather than beforehand. Maybe once you've arrived you can talk to them about changing your course before it starts? Or in your second year? Although you do have to think if they say no after a year then would that year have been a waste?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that it's easier to transfer your course once you're there rather than beforehand. Maybe once you've arrived you can talk to them about changing your course before it starts? Or in your second year? Although you do have to think if they say no after a year then would that year have been a waste?
    I'll just give it a go. I'll go to the Pol department and see what electives they'd want me to take thids year in order to transfer. If they don't let me, I could always drop out

ReputationRep:
    History and Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    My firm and insurance choices are both at Leeds

FIRM: Broadcast Journalism
    INSURANCE: English with Linguistics

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 28, 2012

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.