Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    haha well you will be finding out very soon just how good it is! Seems like you have had your electives query answered very well already so I will try answer your other query. Freshers week will be a totally new experience for everyone (unless they have been at uni elsewhere already) - be prepared to say your name, what course you are on and where you are living to a crazy number of people! The large majority of people are mad keen to get meeting new people (as that's one of the best bits of uni). As there are so many students in Leeds you are sure to find people you can get on with and share interests with so if the people you are in a flat with aren't exactly your type - dont worry!! You will have plenty of chances to meet 'your type of people' through your course, societies (sport, music drama, tiddlywinks - whatever floats your boat) So general advice then for the week, talk to as many people as you can (dont be shy - everyone is in the same situation) you may find (like i did) a few months down the line you bump into someone you remember talking to briefly in freshers week! Try not to be totally smashed all the time - its one of the most important weeks of your life, so try remember at least some of it and the people you meet. In terms of what events to go to - it depends really as to what you are into but just go with the flow really. The union put on some good free events which mainly just freshers go to so it is a great meeting place. Every big club night will be MEGA busy so if there is somewhere you really want to check out try to go early on to make sure you get in. The social life in Leeds is great, you are sure to find something you like. O and there will be 100s of people trying to get you to sign up for societies like sports etc - dont feel pressured into doing this as you can sign up at any time through the year! Apart from that though, just enjoy the whole experience!

(Original post by Muffinz)
    Wonderful having someone say that! I'm really excited!

Unfortunately I'm not partaking in Geography (English Lang and Lit here :P ) but I was wondering about the way electives work and how we select them in Freshers... infact, could you give us all a nice summary and some hints and tips about freshers week, straight from the horse's mouth?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Biology C100 ?
    I ended up choosing Leeds, even though I got accepted by Exeter as well.
    Do you guys think that it was the right decision?I needed higher scores to get in at Exeter, but Leeds is a Russel group uni, which means it must have a very good science department Besides Leeds as a city seemed much more exciting! heheh... Im gonna live right on campus (Lyddon Hall), so if anyone's doing Biology or living there I want to know !

ReputationRep:
    i don't have a confirmation letter-should i have it by now?

ReputationRep:
    Just got my maths re-mark back. Got three marks added, which increases my grade to an A. Really happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedshopeful01)
    Is anyone doing accounting and finance? I've only found one other person doing it at the moment...
    I ammmm! Wow actually finding people now haha
    No idea which accommodation yet though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYZ)
    Just got my maths re-mark back. Got three marks added, which increases my grade to an A. Really happy
    Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_1993)
    Me too! Congratulations!
    Aw, yay! Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paparazzi)
    Congratulations!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kem)
    I'm doing management but with French
    Might see you around Management then. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini92)
    Electives are optional modules (in the sense that you choose which ones you do, not whether or not you do them), that bring up the total number of credits per year to 120. They work the same as any other module. I chose mine during the IT introduction that I had during freshers week last year, but I think you can choose them any time from when you register (as elective enrolment is on the same area of the Portal as the registration facility).
    Okay only just found out about this electives stuff knew I had to do them but didnt think I would have to choose them for a while so much to read up about it a little confused. Think we choose them when or after we register, we cant register till next wednesday so we cant officially choose them till then right? apparently its first come first serve if they are popular ones is that right? I'm doing english lang have to do 40 credits worth so thats 20 in each semester if possible? Obviosly cant do any in english lang can in english lit though( but dont think I want too) was vaguely thinking maybe linguistics as it may actually help a little with my course but my heart wants to do philosophy as even though I found it hard at A level somehow got an A* would never do it as a degree but thought maybe a taster would be fun or am I just giving myself hard work. Also this peer mentoring thing worth a try or not? sorry many questions but though I would put it out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cataha)
    Okay only just found out about this electives stuff knew I had to do them but didnt think I would have to choose them for a while so much to read up about it a little confused. Think we choose them when or after we register, we cant register till next wednesday so we cant officially choose them till then right? apparently its first come first serve if they are popular ones is that right? I'm doing english lang have to do 40 credits worth so thats 20 in each semester if possible? Obviosly cant do any in english lang can in english lit though( but dont think I want too) was vaguely thinking maybe linguistics as it may actually help a little with my course but my heart wants to do philosophy as even though I found it hard at A level somehow got an A* would never do it as a degree but thought maybe a taster would be fun or am I just giving myself hard work. Also this peer mentoring thing worth a try or not? sorry many questions but though I would put it out there
    You can't choose electives until you register (as the elective enrolment is on the same area of the university Portal system as the registration part). Electives do work on a first come first serve basis, if I recall correctly. You are generally advised to split your electives even between the two semesters, so if you have 40 credits of electives, you are recommended to do 20 credits each semester, although you don't have to.

I didn't bother with the peer mentoring thing, mainly because I slept through the introductory meeting, so I can't give any useful advice on that.

ReputationRep:
    You can't choose electives until you register (as the elective enrolment is on the same area of the university Portal system as the registration part). Electives do work on a first come first serve basis, if I recall correctly. You are generally advised to split your electives even between the two semesters, so if you have 40 credits of electives, you are recommended to do 20 credits each semester, although you don't have to.

I didn't bother with the peer mentoring thing, mainly because I slept through the introductory meeting, so I can't give any useful advice on that.
    Great thanks I think thats pretty much all what I thought its just theres so much to read was starting to get paniky. Would you recommend doing electives in something totally different like philosophy or something closer to my course like linguistics both which I think I would enjoy but maybe philosophy would feel like a nice change or suppose I could do 20 credits of each

ReputationRep:
    Great thanks I think thats pretty much all what I thought its just theres so much to read was starting to get paniky. Would you recommend doing electives in something totally different like philosophy or something closer to my course like linguistics both which I think I would enjoy but maybe philosophy would feel like a nice change or suppose I could do 20 credits of each
    Its entirely your choice, you can do electives in whatever you want. Personally, I did my electives from my department as they sounded interesting, but I know people who have done electives in completely different subjects and they seemed to enjoy them.

ReputationRep:
    People who are returning students - from your experience, do tickets for freshers events (Freshers Ball, school disco, headphone disco, intro party) normally sell out before we get there or are they just saying it on the website to try and get us to buy them? Don't want to buy them and end up going alone, or not buy them and find that all of my flatmates are going and they're sold out :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Loving the little cycle map :')

ReputationRep:
    Its entirely your choice, you can do electives in whatever you want. Personally, I did my electives from my department as they sounded interesting, but I know people who have done electives in completely different subjects and they seemed to enjoy them.
    Sorry keep coming back to you but havent found anyone else talking about it looking through all the elective choices and theres so much I dont want to do :/ probably easiest to just do the eng lit ones but I'm a slow reader and there seems to be alot to read and it just doesnt appeal to me, the lingustics ones clash with my timetable so was thinking of doing philosophy I dont think they clash if I did Semseter 1: Intro Philosophy (10 credits) Intro Ethics (10)
    Semester 2: The mind( 10) war ethics (10)
    sorry dont expect you to know but does that all sound reasonable should probably email someone but wouldnt know what to say without sounding dim thanks for your help so far

ReputationRep:
    Sorry keep coming back to you but havent found anyone else talking about it looking through all the elective choices and theres so much I dont want to do :/ probably easiest to just do the eng lit ones but I'm a slow reader and there seems to be alot to read and it just doesnt appeal to me, the lingustics ones clash with my timetable so was thinking of doing philosophy I dont think they clash if I did Semseter 1: Intro Philosophy (10 credits) Intro Ethics (10)
    Semester 2: The mind( 10) war ethics (10)
    sorry dont expect you to know but does that all sound reasonable should probably email someone but wouldnt know what to say without sounding dim thanks for your help so far
    I don't know anything about philosophy modules, so you'd be better off asking someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, i replied to the private message, and i live in leeds so staying at homee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _mariam_)
    Hi
    I'm doing Chinese too with Eng Lit. I applied to stay at Oxley but I haven't heard from accom yet. Will you be a beginner at Chinese in September?
    yes! will you? just got the info about recommended books and films... scary also something about a cd that will be sent to me and I have to learn characters and words.. ahh!

ReputationRep:
    Is there going to be a Freshers Ball?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 28, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.