Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe07)
    Depends on what you're looking for. If you want catered, go for University Park. If you want self-catered, Broadgate Park might be a good option. I've chosen University Park, so I haven't seen Broadgate Park, but I've heard it's quite nice.
    Yeah I think I'm looking at catered at the moment just because i'm going to be cooking for myself for the rest of my life I may as well make the most of it haha

ReputationRep:
    Can't decide between Notts and York!
    Any advice/opinions?
    I've had unconditional offers to do english studies at both btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zerin62)
    I just got rejected
    I had a reply from Sue Rogerson today who said that she was sorry that she had to reject my application for Law with Spanish and Spanish Law but the course was now full (...not like I didn't apply on October 1st or anything >_<) and that because there are only 6 places available on the course and lots of people who applied had very high LNAT scores, they couldn't accept me on the Spanish Law course, but were willing to offer me a place for either the LLB or BA Law degree.

Now, I fail to see how my LNAT score was insufficient to study Law with Spanish but good enough for basic Law (surely your competency in the language is more important than your LNAT achievements at this point, but never mind!).

Anyway, I replied asking her what the grade requirements would be (I was thinking of using Notts as my insurance) but she replied and said AAA, so I told them where to go pretty much!

But it's probably worth a try emailing them because they might have a hidden offer for Law if you're lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djgoebbels)
    I know these kind of questions come up constantly, but bear with me please

How prestigious is Nottingham's politics/IR department? I know the entry req's are high for the courses in IR (AAA) but still Nottingham places quite far down in league tables (15+). It feels like a course with AAA as average offer is one of the more competative in the country and should be top 10-8 at least. I am very confused.

So, to my question:
    How prestigious is IR at Nottingham really? Could you compare it to the IR courses at uni's such as Warwick, St Andrews, KCL etc. ? I don't seem to be able to get any clarification on how prestigious the IR course at Nottingham really is.

I have offers from Nottingham (MSci), Sheffield, Edinburgh and QMUL also, so atm I'm trying to decide where to go. I can't really tell which is most prestigious.

Sorry for being a pain in the a**

Nottingham has one of the most prestigious IR depts in the country and is one of only a few regarded as 'excellent' by the EU. It is also in the top 10 for the power of its research.

The reason is can have AAA offers is becase people want to go there and the politics students average well over AAAa at A-level (according to 2009 stats).

For IR LSE is by far the best, then followed by the likes of Warwick, St Andrews, Nottingham, Kings and Bristol.

They are all much of a muchness and your employment prospects would be the same at any of the above. Go to where you would be happiest in terms of the course structure and campus.

Dont forget the chance to study abroad at Notts is immense and would probably make your CV stand out compared to the other courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djgoebbels)
    I was afraid for this, too bad. Still gonna visit the place before I make up my mind, but this consequently puts Edinburgh and Sheffield in favour for me.
    Dont listen to him/her. The SU is what you make of it. The politics society is incredibly active and is full of people that want to change the world, trust me.

I don't see why Edinburgh or Sheffield would have more active SU's, given the size of Nottingham.

Stop listening to other people and choose the one with the best campus and course structure for you - when your there and writing essays and going out, it is all that matters

ReputationRep:

Still can't bring myself to do it :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleyChester)

That's probably because you've realised how mental you are to do maths

Edit: Also, we didn't get those funky 'make you choice' boxes last year...

ReputationRep:
    Biotechnology. I've gotten my offer already. BCpass!
    Its my insurance place tho. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCasperTom)
    That's probably because you've realised how mental you are to do maths
    :P nooo, i'm just a very indecisive person!

ReputationRep:
    :P nooo, i'm just a very indecisive person!
    I'm just getting in the digs at those doing Maths; its a personal thing (of I'm used to doing it). To be fair, I can't be said to be doing a 'sensible' degree by a lot of people.

ReputationRep:

Do it!
    Same firm & insurance as me :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just getting in the digs at those doing Maths; its a personal thing (of I'm used to doing it). To be fair, I can't be said to be doing a 'sensible' degree by a lot of people.
    Chemistry... ew. :P The thought of all that lab time makes me feel a bit ill xD

(Blues, Baggies or Villa by the way?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    Do it!
    Same firm &amp; insurance as me :awesome:
    :awesome: What have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry... ew. :P The thought of all that lab time makes me feel a bit ill xD

(Blues, Baggies or Villa by the way?)
    The amount of time in labs makes me feel ill too, to be honest

And Leeds United... It's a family thing

ReputationRep:
    The amount of time in labs makes me feel ill too, to be honest

And Leeds United... It's a family thing
    That is poor.

ReputationRep:
    That is poor.
    Respect your elders biatch

ReputationRep:
    Respect your elders biatch
    I do apologise xD

ReputationRep:
    I do apologise xD
    Why thankyou.

On a more serious note, if you have any questions about Notts then feel free to ask. Also my gf actually does Maths here so if you want any info I can either get that for you or just PM her on here (I think she occasionally uses it anyway).

ReputationRep:

Mac?

Do it! Join us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Mac?

Do it! Join us!
    Of course mac. Once you go mac you never go back xD

I'm going to talk to my form tutor at school monday and then i'll probably do it when I get home xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.