Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks,
    Right, so I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue(s)

Basically, yesterday my mum & dad purchased a green V-reg Skoda felicia from a couple down the road for my dad to 'babysit' whilst I finish learning & pass to make it easier for me to get 250 miles to uni & back.

Anyway, we went out in it for a couple of test runs & it seemed spot on - the only problem we were told about was that the radio would turn off when you started accellerating - which we assumed was just something to do with misplaced wiring. Internet reviews told us that, ok, the car wasn't pretty, but it was a decent little runner & a perfect car for a newly passed driver.

We were also told that the car had recently had a new battery fitted & a new oil filter (this is where they started losing me, as I don't know too much about cars - excuse my misspelt words/motoring naievity ) AND a new cam belt/chain.

So blah blah, we paid for it, got insurance etc, and went out for a drive in it yesterday afternoon. Which is where things start to go downhill.

I could smell something eggy - and I don't mean like eggy in the sense it was odd, or weird - it was actually eggy. I bought a new airfreshner - did nothing. Attacked the interior with Fabreez & air freshner spray - still no luck.

Googled the problem - turned out it could be something to do with the battery connection leaking sulphuric acid - so I told my dad this & he whipped open the bonnet.

The battery was leaking fumes. Even I know thats not good.
    Considering the guy we bought it from told us he was a mechanic & he'd just replaced the battery I can sense something isn't right. I've read that this can be caused by an overcharging alternator belt (?)
    We've taken the battery out completely, and dad put some distilled water into it in the hope that this might help.

If anyone can shed any light on whats caused the battery to start leaking & what the next steps to recovery are for Yoda the Skoda I would appreciate it very muchly

ReputationRep:
    Another cause of an eggy or sulphurous smell is the catalytic converter failing. Air conditioning can smell if not used for a while too, although an old Felicia might not have A/C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    Another cause of an eggy or sulphurous smell is the catalytic converter failing. Air conditioning can smell if not used for a while too, although an old Felicia might not have A/C.
    The leaking fumes would confirm that it was the battery if you ask me. Also radio turning off when accelerating points to an electric problem.

You will need to get the alternator tested. If you go to a local garage, they will do it for £10/£15, and most likely give you more information on the problem. Be prepared to have to buy a new battery, the current one sounds like it may be busted.

ReputationRep:
    Could be over voltage making the radio shut off I guess. I can't see how faulty wiring alone could be sensitive enough to fail only under acceleration but not under general bouncing around on the road.

If it was me I think I'd get a reconditioned alternator and a haynes manual and fit it myself without doing any more checks. It'll be the alternator btw not the alternator belt, though you could easily change that at the same time too, especially if the current one's in bad condition.

You could take it to an auto electrician for a test of the alternator - but I reckon they'll just tell you to go and get a replacement alternator.

ReputationRep:
    I Supose if you're going back to the vendor about the problem, getting a auto electricians printout showing the alternator's faulty would help your side of the negotiation process..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I Supose if you're going back to the vendor about the problem, getting a auto electricians printout showing the alternator's faulty would help your side of the negotiation process..
    Sounds like it was a private sale, in which case there's little comeback, tbh.

OP, do not bring the car back to the 'mechanic' you bought it from, given that he said he installed the 'new' battery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Sounds like it was a private sale, in which case there's little comeback, tbh.

OP, do not bring the car back to the 'mechanic' you bought it from, given that he said he installed the 'new' battery.
    Yeah but I also noticed he's a neighbour rather than some random geezer out of auto-trader so there's a lot we don't know about the OP's & the OP's parents previous relationship with the guy. but generally don't buy cars off your friends.

ReputationRep:
    If the alternator has been overcharging for a long time, then the battery will be dead, and no amount of water will fix it.
    The smell could be the catalytic convertor.

Has the car been standing for a long time ? Cars that aren't used regularly often have problems.
    Get it to a decent garage to check the alternator.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks folks, Dads sat under the bonnet as I type trying to figure out whats wrong, I'll mention these suggestions and he'll stop pretending he's a mechanic & take it to an actual mechanic :P

#Joinedup & Kevmeister - He wasn't a friend, and may aswell have been a random geezer from autotrader - just a sale we spotted at the end of the street.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    lol any chance of getting dad to spring for a breakdown policy too while you've got him under the bonnet. Not saying anything against skoda's but it's quite old.

I'm sort of inclined to believe that it might be a recently replaced battery, my old focus (recently scrapped) was an S reg and still on the factory battery till I changed it last year - batteries you can actually put water into (opposed to maintenance free) haven't been fitted by the car makers for years afaik.

ReputationRep:
    I think the voltage regulator is buggered.

As an engine accelerates, the frequency and therefore voltage generated by the alternator changes, it is the voltage regulators job to keep the voltage down to a maximum of 14V in DC form, (an alternator generates in 3 phase, AC). If the voltage regulator is broken, then the system will be supplied with a lot of voltage in AC and there is your problem.

I am not sure where the voltage regulator is on your car, but that would be my first port of call as it were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I think the voltage regulator is buggered.

As an engine accelerates, the frequency and therefore voltage generated by the alternator changes, it is the voltage regulators job to keep the voltage down to a maximum of 14V in DC form, (an alternator generates in 3 phase, AC). If the voltage regulator is broken, then the system will be supplied with a lot of voltage in AC and there is your problem.

I am not sure where the voltage regulator is on your car, but that would be my first port of call as it were.
    fyi usually it's built into and supplied with the alternator on modern cars afaik.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    fyi usually it's built into and supplied with the alternator on modern cars afaik.
    Ah rubbish, so a £10 part costs £60 to replace! Typical!

ReputationRep:
    Came to about £30 for a new altornater & battery, installed thems & it was sorted - radio even works now

ReputationRep:
    £30!? Bloody hell, where was that from! That is amazing! Was that brand new or from a Scrappie?

ReputationRep:
    brand new battery, not 100% about the alternator, but i think it was in fairly good spec even if it was from a scrap. just the local garage in morecambe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.