Turn on thread page Beta

I cant ever enter a relationship watch

Announcements

Hi.. TSR... Okay i'm 18 and staying at home during uni, now i've thought it through deeply and came to the conclusion that i can't enter a relationship during my uni years even though i badly want to, and i have an oppurtunity with this girl who i think likes me, well it appears anyway. Anyways the obstacle i have is that I'm asian muslim and obviously it's the parental restrictions which is a great obstacle in the way.

Not only that but here's a scenario, I date this girl and fall in love, and the relationship carries on for 3-4 years ( by that time ive graduated) and now it's time to marry, and now you can see that the parents will fix the marriage with someone of their choice, now where does that leave me? I'm in love with this girl and how the hell am i supposed to leave her and marry a girl the traditional way?

No i dont want a gf just because the sake of it, i want a gf who i actually love and would go on to marry, but it appears it's not possible..

God, this is doing my head in.....

ReputationRep:
    Try it, you'll never know what can happen until you try. It is your life at the end of the day, you choose who you marry, not your parents. If you love a girl and 4 years down the line, want to marry her, then it should be up to you, not them.

Easier said than done, i'm in your position too. But i'm in a relationship and very happy, even if it's just for now, though i'd like to get married.

ReputationRep:
    what about if your parents met her? if they like her, then there might be a chance they'll let you get together.
    if not, you could always go against they're wishes. would you be able to marry this girl regrdless of what they think?

ReputationRep:
    It is your life. Marry someone you love. Your parents would be wrong to try and get you to be with someone you don't want.
    So you absolutely can have a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could earn some money part time, move out the following year, or move in with your partner when you finish university.

ReputationRep:
    Go with the flow.

Actually i think i should just be friends, and see where it goes down the line.. Afterall my degreee is vital for my future.

ReputationRep:
    Ok marry the girl that you like. If u end up breaking up though, all you're going to hear from your parents is "i told you so, you should of married the girl we picked for you bleh bleh". So make sure your with her for life.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, these arrange marriages must suck. Go ahead and marry someone you love, it's your life. Live it how YOU want to.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, these arrange marriages must suck. Go ahead and marry someone you love, it's your life. Live it how YOU want to.

As your muslim, why dont you get engaged with parental consent and get married after you graduated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi.. TSR... Okay i'm 18 and staying at home during uni, now i've thought it through deeply and came to the conclusion that i can't enter a relationship during my uni years even though i badly want to, and i have an oppurtunity with this girl who i think likes me, well it appears anyway. Anyways the obstacle i have is that I'm asian muslim and obviously it's the parental restrictions which is a great obstacle in the way.

Not only that but here's a scenario, I date this girl and fall in love, and the relationship carries on for 3-4 years ( by that time ive graduated) and now it's time to marry, and now you can see that the parents will fix the marriage with someone of their choice, now where does that leave me? I'm in love with this girl and how the hell am i supposed to leave her and marry a girl the traditional way?

No i dont want a gf just because the sake of it, i want a gf who i actually love and would go on to marry, but it appears it's not possible..

I guess you've tried talking to them. Like, bringing it up as a side note in a conversation and see what they say? Don't explicitly say you're interested in someone.

I've had a lot of asian Muslim friends go through the same thing as you - and most of them end up going behind their parents' backs, however their parents usually found out - but everyone seemed to come to some sort of "understanding" once they knew, and they realised how much it meant to their daughters (most of my asian Muslim friends are females.)

Not saying you should go behind their backs, but if you have relatively nice/understanding/caring parents and you haven't done much to them previously to annoy them and you've always been on their good side, if you really want the relationship you should really try for it.

ReputationRep:
    My mum thinks its ok for me to bring someone i like home, just has to be muslim thats all! Anyway think about it, its your life! Do what you want to do, its really easy to say but would you really marry a girl that you have no feelings towards, wouldnt happen mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

pun intended? :rofl:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.