Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

So I need to find a 5th choice uni, but I'm a bit stuck as to the spread of grades I should go for.

AAAa prediction (a in AS Spanish). AABB at As Level. 3A*s 7As at GCSE.

Not particularly outstanding GCSES so reluctant to go for somewhere like LSE.

I have one AAA Uni
    2 AAB Unis
    1 ABB uni

Do I use the last one to shoot for Durham (AAA) bearing in mind my GCSEs aren't amazing and if they do any kind of social engineering stuff I'm screwed.

Do I go for Bristol (A*AA-ABB inc A in C3 and C4) bearing in mind I'm predicted AAA and going with the strong focus they seem to put on contextual info (my form teacher's words).

Or do I try and find a reserve that's a bit lower like Sussex (ABB - BBB)?

I'm doing Economics and Politics with a year in Spain or industry btw.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just go for a course with the high grade reqs like Durham or Britsol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    Hey

So I need to find a 5th choice uni, but I'm a bit stuck as to the spread of grades I should go for.

AAAa prediction (a in AS Spanish). AABB at As Level. 3A*s 7As at GCSE.

Not particularly outstanding GCSES so reluctant to go for somewhere like LSE.

I have one AAA Uni
    2 AAB Unis
    1 ABB uni

Do I use the last one to shoot for Durham (AAA) bearing in mind my GCSEs aren't amazing and if they do any kind of social engineering stuff I'm screwed.

Do I go for Bristol (A*AA-ABB inc A in C3 and C4) bearing in mind I'm predicted AAA and going with the strong focus they seem to put on contextual info (my form teacher's words).

Or do I try and find a reserve that's a bit lower like Sussex (ABB - BBB)?

I'm doing Economics and Politics with a year in Spain or industry btw.

Thanks!

Troll much?

ReputationRep:
    Purely based on entry requirements, if I got AAAa I'm not sure I'd feel happy going to a uni where the standard requirement is BBB. The requirement reflects popularity not quality of the course, but to be with people that got grades consistently lower than mine might mean the uni isn't the best place for me. Of course, nothing is purely entry requirements.

The way I see it, you have one that is appropriate for your predicted grades, two appropriate for grades you currently have if you just stay the same and one that is a safety. In your place, I'd use the last one to go for whatever uni I really wanted to do to and forget entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PippaD)
    Troll much?
    No, LSE like to see lots of A*'s. Miracle I got an offer, really.

ReputationRep:
    Troll much?
    No. They're good/fine, but they're not going to set me aside much are they?

ReputationRep:
    i'd say durham is fine, because the politics department is not the strongest- if you were to go for pure economics i'd advise against it.

ReputationRep:
    very similar situation to you and sorry for hijacking thread but I am wondering if its advisable to apply to econ and accounting when only mention i have of accounting is in referance of work exp. Its just i like the look of the course and think it would be slightly less competitive, any advice would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wezzler)
    very similar situation to you and sorry for hijacking thread but I am wondering if its advisable to apply to econ and accounting when only mention i have of accounting is in referance of work exp. Its just i like the look of the course and think it would be slightly less competitive, any advice would be great.
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    No
    why, i know people on here who got onto econ and accounting with ps all econ, well some applied for economics and got offered econ and accounting is that advisable even though its A*AA-ABB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wezzler)
    why, i know people on here who got onto econ and accounting with ps all econ, well some applied for economics and got offered econ and accounting is that advisable even though its A*AA-ABB?
    Then why ask the question if you know people have done it?

ReputationRep:
    Troll much?
    How is he a troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Then why ask the question if you know people have done it?
    as i ama wondering if i should apply for straight econ or the joint course, i say this as i assumed most peoples ps would be straight econ with maybee some reference to accounting exp in reference, just wanted to know if they accept straight econ ps' for the econ and accounting course at bristol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.