Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to other Universities before the Cambridge deadline - will they discriminate watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm really worried that if my other 4 universities get my application before the 15th of October, they'll assume that i've applied to Cambridge (which I will have!) and automatically reject me..

I went to Warwick yesterday and they said they don't care, so they've calmed me down a lot.

Does anyone know if Birmingham, Nottingham or St Andrews do this though? Or don't they care either?

:eek3:

Thanks for the help in advance!

Rachael

ReputationRep:
    They don't care. Just ignore the silly rumours and myths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    They don't care. Just ignore the silly rumours and myths.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS person at my school told me that Warwick usually reject Oxbridge applicants because they don't like to be second best, or something. But I thought universities can see your other choices anyway? So I don't think that when they receive your application really matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travestial)
    The UCAS person at my school told me that Warwick usually reject Oxbridge applicants because they don't like to be second best, or something. But I thought universities can see your other choices anyway? So I don't think that when they receive your application really matters.
    That's interesting, because I spoke to an admission's officer at Warwick yesterday and she said that they don't care and that they won't cut their nose off to spite their face :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broadwayrachael)
    That's interesting, because I spoke to an admission's officer at Warwick yesterday and she said that they don't care and that they won't cut their nose off to spite their face :confused:
    I'd go with Warwick there. They know that many of the best and brightest will apply to Oxbridge, why would they then ignore them? Makes no sense.

When I applied (though not to Warwick) there were rumours like this flying around - I went for it anyway and got offers from both the unis which were supposed to discriminate against Oxbridge candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    I'd go with Warwick there. They know that many of the best and brightest will apply to Oxbridge, why would they then ignore them? Makes no sense.

When I applied (though not to Warwick) there were rumours like this flying around - I went for it anyway and got offers from both the unis which were supposed to discriminate against Oxbridge candidates.
    Okay, thanks! That's really reassuring can I ask where they were?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay then, things might have changed then? I have known someone who applied to Cambridge and got rejected from Warwick... although it sounds like they've changed their policy. In that case, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks! That's really reassuring can I ask where they were?
    Bristol and Nottingham, for law. This was a few years ago, but I don't see why it should have changed since.
    I really wouldn't worry about it - don't let a few rumours put you off applying where you really want to go.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay then, things might have changed then? I have known someone who applied to Cambridge and got rejected from Warwick... although it sounds like they've changed their policy. In that case, go for it
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    Bristol and Nottingham, for law. This was a few years ago, but I don't see why it should have changed since.
    I really wouldn't worry about it - don't let a few rumours put you off applying where you really want to go.
    Good luck!
    Aah Nottingham is another of mine, so you've really calmed me down there!! Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Things haven't changed at all - it was always a myth that unis might reject you if they thought you had applied to Oxbridge. It is perfectly possible to be rejected by Warwick or Durham or Edinburgh while getting an offer from Oxford or Cambridge, for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with prejudice against possible Oxbridge applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Things haven't changed at all - it was always a myth that unis might reject you if they thought you had applied to Oxbridge. It is perfectly possible to be rejected by Warwick or Durham or Edinburgh while getting an offer from Oxford or Cambridge, for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with prejudice against possible Oxbridge applicants.
    Sorry, my post sounds idiotic... I wasn't basing what I was saying on one person's experience! Obviously previous applicants from my school have just been unlucky when it comes to Warwick! Never mind
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Different unis base their decisions on different things. Oxbridge interview whereas Warwick don't so it may have been that the person had something not great on their UCAS form but were able to make up for it in interview.

ReputationRep:
    Unis can't see you're other choices.
    Most unis won't care if you've applied for oxbridge (I got offers from all of my other choices). If you've applied for oxbridge you're probably a good candidate and that's what they're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    by rejecting all oxbridge candidates they will be automatically ruling out their best applicants, especially considering only 1 in 5 of those candidates will actually make it to Oxbridge in the end.

They're not that stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mauvemartian)
    Unis can't see you're other choices.
    Most unis won't care if you've applied for oxbridge (I got offers from all of my other choices). If you've applied for oxbridge you're probably a good candidate and that's what they're interested in.
    Universities can always see your other choices. Im sure as hell about that.

So theres no need to panic.
    Btw, I talk from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divine_alive)
    Universities can always see your other choices. Im sure as hell about that.

So theres no need to panic.
    Btw, I talk from experience.
    No, they can't :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    No, they can't :p:
    Yes they can. Go ask an admissions officer

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.