Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe you have a soul? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you believe you have a a soul?
    yes
    41.35%
    no
    45.86%
    i don't know
    12.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    The atheists will say no and the theists, yes.
    yes but i'm looking for more personal reasons why people believe in souls so thank you and bye now xo

ReputationRep:
    I do, and it's because I'm a theist but I can't expand any further.

ReputationRep:
    No, but I also believe I am a vampire changeling. Everyone else maybe does. Apart from the other vampire changelings. And the zombies, but I'm not sure if the count as people. I guess they might have souls in the form of the ghosts that were formerly attached to their zombodies but does that count as actually having a soul? I don't know.

nah i don't, i just don't vibe off that dualist stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim.gordon)
    yes but i'm looking for more personal reasons why people believe in souls so thank you and bye now xo
    I'm not going :eviltongue:

hmmm, personal reasons...how about because it's cool to have a soul. That's pretty unique.

ReputationRep:
    im an atheist and i really dont know, but if i had to say one or the other i'd say yes. i feel like my personality and mind are more than just electrical impulses in my brain. altho maybe im wrong and thats all they are.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea.

But if we argue that we do have a soul, wouldn't everything that's alive have a soul too??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acdunn)
    I have no idea.

But if we argue that we do have a soul, wouldn't everything that's alive have a soul too??
    I don't know. It depends on your justification of why a person has a soul. If you use the qualitative feeling of emotion as evidence of why one must have a soul then there is no way of knowing if animals feel this and so you can't really know.

ReputationRep:
    No,not at all.

But theres still a part of me that thinks it exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    The atheists will say no and the theists, yes.
    This pretty much. Save for a few
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm curious in the answer of how young clever people of today answer this questions.
    One of the key reasons I find the concept of soul hard to digest is the completeness of modern neuroscience and psychology. Almost all aspects of our character and identity can be located and altered in the brain. Take the brain away, and what is left to consign to the immaterial?

ReputationRep:
    No. Theists believe in that **** because it gives them a 'purpose' :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    No. We shouldn't have to resort to playing the 'soul' card in explaining human nature.

(Original post by T-o dore)
    Almost all aspects of our character and identity can be located and altered in the brain.
    I don't think there is any need to play it safe here by using the word 'almost' with 'all'. The fact is, we are our brains. There is nothing but matter, and we are nothing but the 3lbs of neural tissue neatly tucked away in our skulls. There is certainly more evidence for this than any alternative 'spiritual' explanations.

The history of neuroscience has been plagued with dualism since the time of Homer and well past the renaissance. Fortunately, we have now developed the investigative tools and methodology to leave dualism behind. Unfortunately there are still stragglers who seem to have fallen into the Cartesian gap.

ReputationRep:
    souls don't exist.
    And if souls existed they wouldn't have nerves so even if we do burn in hell we won't feel it.
    Ps: God did a **** job at creating humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acdunn)
    I have no idea.

I would say that if a soul exists all living things must have it yes. But then you have a whole can of worms, one being whats the smallest living thing that has a soul? Insects? Cells? DNA?
    Those who say only humans have a soul, again , more problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I do, and it's because I'm a theist but I can't expand any further.
    How come you haven't been temp banned with a warning level of 20?

On topic: No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    How come you haven't been temp banned with a warning level of 20?

On topic: No
    I was banned but the warning remains for two weeks instead of one. So if I even as sneeze I'll get banned again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I was banned but the warning remains for two weeks instead of one. So if I even as sneeze I'll get banned again.
    i could report this post as off topic spam :teehee:.

ReputationRep:
    i could report this post as off topic spam :teehee:.
    :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I do because I can see myself in a mirror not like a vampire lol!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.