Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe you have a soul? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe you have a a soul?
    yes
    41.35%
    no
    45.86%
    i don't know
    12.78%

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Would be far more interesting if it wern't for all the one word answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Why do you believe there is a soul? What is it that makes you feel this way?
    I don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallace32)
    I don't
    Oh sorry, I misread your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim.gordon)
    I'm curious in the answer of how young clever people of today answer this questions. (hurr durr, why you asking on tsr then :dunce:).

if possible give a reason why you believe in the soul?

it is all well and good saying 'i do' but this is what the poll is for. if you want to expand on this then comment. sorry for being a patronising ***** xo
    The whole idea is just complete ********.

I am my personality. My thoughts, feelings and memories.

A soul is postulated as a non-physical aspect. Yet, if I got kicked in the head and my personality changed due to brain damage - does my soul also change?

If it does, then it is not non-physical - as it's basically a "ghost" copy of my personality.

If it doesn't then it doesn't reflect who I am in any meaningful way. If it is not my personality then it bears no more meaning to me then a rock that randomly had my name written on it.

The whole concept of a soul is retarded to the core.

ReputationRep:
    i don't
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    IId like to think so

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I took the poll test, it's a shame more say no.
    I do believe I have a soul - everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    I do. To me a soul is who you are, it's something totally unconnected to the body. I just don't see how you can look into someone's eyes and not believe that they have a soul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I do. To me a soul is who you are, it's something totally unconnected to the body. I just don't see how you can look into someone's eyes and not believe that they have a soul.
    If you believe in a soul, at what point in the foetus' development does the soul appear? What causes the soul to exist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    The atheists will say no and the theists, yes.
    This is not true as even many atheist philosophers acknowledge/d the existence of a soul, or to rephrase it a conscious awareness of experiences and sense data.
    Where do you think your personality originates from? Any sort of a priori characteristics ought to be in you. I admit that the body shows emergent properties, yet the existence of a soul really depends on your definition of such a facility.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you would class as a "soul".
    I'm not religious, I don't really believe in life after death and I don't particularly believe in God, at least not to the extent of what is in the bible/going to church, but I still feel that everyone has what I would class as a soul. To me its not about something that is left behind after death... what goes to heaven/hell or whatever. I believe our souls are made up of what we are as people, the love we give to others and receive, our consciences. I suppose that could just be classed as "having a heart" but since the heart is just an organ, it describes what we feel and what morals we live by and what drives us. Your "heart" as feelings, rather than your heart in its physicality.
    When you find a piece of music that really connects with you, when you feel that sense of joy and happiness, that is connecting with your soul. To me your soul is what connects you to other people, what allows you to feel that love and for you to pass it on to other people...
    I'm not very good at describing it really.

And looking back over the thread,
    Ok, so people might just class it as a lot of electrochemical transmissions, neurosignalling... whatever... like when people go on to explain what dreams are etc. Yes that is true. That is what it essentially stems from if you look at it physically. But the feelings that those impulses generate and present, collectively, are what would lead to our soul, just as they generate our thoughts and dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyallen03)
    It depends on what you would class as a "soul".
    I'm not religious, I don't really believe in life after death and I don't particularly believe in God, at least not to the extent of what is in the bible/going to church, but I still feel that everyone has what I would class as a soul. To me its not about something that is left behind after death... what goes to heaven/hell or whatever. I believe our souls are made up of what we are as people, the love we give to others and receive, our consciences. I suppose that could just be classed as "having a heart" but since the heart is just an organ, it describes what we feel and what morals we live by and what drives us. Your "heart" as feelings, rather than your heart in its physicality.
    When you find a piece of music that really connects with you, when you feel that sense of joy and happiness, that is connecting with your soul. To me your soul is what connects you to other people, what allows you to feel that love and for you to pass it on to other people...
    I'm not very good at describing it really.
    aren't you just romanticising emotions and giving it the title of soul?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim.gordon)
    aren't you just romanticising emotions and giving it the title of soul?
    maybe... but maybe emotions stem from the soul? maybe its all interlinked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel3 )
    This is not true as even many atheist philosophers acknowledge/d the existence of a soul, or to rephrase it a conscious awareness of experiences and sense data.
    Where do you think your personality originates from? Any sort of a priori characteristics ought to be in you. I admit that the body shows emergent properties, yet the existence of a soul really depends on your definition of such a facility.
    Most people on here aren't philosophers. However most are atheists. And you'll notice that most of these atheists believe that the 'soul' is just biological stuff and that it doesn't exist in the other sense.

Just my analysis of the posts here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe I have a soul.
    Assuming the first lifeform came about by chemicals reacting in the sea, and then all subsequent lifeforms evolved from that via natural selection, then at some point we must have evolved a soul for it to exist, which obviously wouldn't/couldn't have happened in terms of a soul being a non-physical thing for numerous reasons. You can class emotions as a soul but that's just silly and pointless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.