Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone in the "know", your advice would be appreciated
    I got ABCC for As level (and i have an A from a full A level from yr11)
    Now i'm carrying on 3 subjects (the ABC ones) and i'd like to apply for Actuarial science/maths and/or Maths with german
    The unis i am really interested are:
    Manchester- A*AB
    Kent- AA_ (360 points needed overall)
    Birmingham/Lancaster- ABB
    Cardiff- ABC
    Heriott-watt - ABB

I am planning on doing 3 resits in Jan to bump AS grades up
    Unfortunately I don't know my predicted grades yet... What would you expect them to be? Could I ask for something like A*AB if i fall short, as in, is that reasonable/realistic? I am aiming for an A* in maths btw

On a sidenote: could that early A level be counted in offers? It's a language..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is probably too high, but the rest seem reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    If it's an A level, it is counted, no matter when you did it =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMFChris)
    Manchester is probably too high, but the rest seem reasonable.
    hmmm... thanks, Manchester is my favourite though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabriella)
    Actually a lot of universities don't look at A-Levels taken early, just the ones done during 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabriella)
    Oh okay, well i had a notion (no idea where from) that some unis wanted A levels done within one sitting so during year 12 and 13.. and so because this one was a year early it wouldn't be part of an offer..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    Anyone in the "know", your advice would be appreciated
    I got ABCC for As level (and i have an A from a full A level from yr11)
    Now i'm carrying on 3 subjects (the ABC ones) and i'd like to apply for Actuarial science/maths and/or Maths with german
    The unis i am really interested are:
    Manchester- A*AB
    Kent- AA_ (360 points needed overall)
    Birmingham/Lancaster- ABB
    Cardiff- ABC
    Heriott-watt - ABB

I am planning on doing 3 resits in Jan to bump AS grades up
    Unfortunately I don't know my predicted grades yet... What would you expect them to be? Could I ask for something like A*AB if i fall short, as in, is that reasonable/realistic? I am aiming for an A* in maths btw

On a sidenote: could that early A level be counted in offers? It's a language..

Thanks
    If you applied for Maths with German and the A-Level you took early is in a language that your not fluent in then it should count. Otherwise it might not.

As for your choices, perhaps Manchester is looking a little too high, and you could do with an option that asks for less than you have at the moment in case retakes don't work out and you slip a grade- maybe BBB, or BBC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Actually a lot of universities don't look at A-Levels taken early, just the ones done during 6th form.
    Yeah this is what i meant. How do you know which ones do/don't ?
    Edit: thanks, i'll have a look around and find a uni i like with slightly lower grades just in case..

ReputationRep:
    You should apply to them all! There's nothing wrong with aiming high, and you have a back up so I wouldn't worry. Aiming high makes you work harder. If Manchester is the place you really want to go then make sure you work your ass off to get there!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is what i meant. How do you know which ones do/don't ?
    Edit: thanks, i'll have a look around and find a uni i like with slightly lower grades just in case..
    I don't know specifically which ones but I've seen plenty of people on here where not all their choices have looked at early A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle7)
    You should apply to them all! There's nothing wrong with aiming high, and you have a back up so I wouldn't worry. Aiming high makes you work harder. If Manchester is the place you really want to go then make sure you work your ass off to get there!
    Thanks for the optimistic approach :lol:
    I think it would make me work harder, but if i didnt get an offer, then that wouldn't really work :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't know specifically which ones but I've seen plenty of people on here where not all their choices have looked at early A-Levels.
    Ahh okay, i'm guessing i could email universites to ask...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the optimistic approach :lol:
    I think it would make me work harder, but if i didnt get an offer, then that wouldn't really work :/
    This is the approach that I took, and it worked for me! Besides, you might not get any offers through untill March ish time anyway (most will come sooner, but Bristol were highly awkward and kept me on my toes!)...so in the meantime get working your ass off!

By the way, Bristol rejected me. I ended up getting 3 A's...in their face! I didn't want to go there anyway...

ReputationRep:
    This is the approach that I took, and it worked for me! Besides, you might not get any offers through untill March ish time anyway (most will come sooner, but Bristol were highly awkward and kept me on my toes!)...so in the meantime get working your ass off!

By the way, Bristol rejected me. I ended up getting 3 A's...in their face! I didn't want to go there anyway...
    Well done! Yeah I suppose... my worry is though, that it would be a wated choice, even if i think i can get those grades :o:

ReputationRep:
    Well done! Yeah I suppose... my worry is though, that it would be a wated choice, even if i think i can get those grades :o:
    But if it's the place you really want to go to then it can't possibly be a waste. If you don't apply you will probably always think 'what if' and that is never good! If they don't want you it's their loss, at least you tried

ReputationRep:
    But if it's the place you really want to go to then it can't possibly be a waste. If you don't apply you will probably always think 'what if' and that is never good! If they don't want you it's their loss, at least you tried
    *wasted

:yep: i would always be thinking "what if"... i think i just don't want to be seen as too disillusioned or something

ReputationRep:
    If you apply to Cambridge for Maths, they don't mind if you took A level Maths in year 9 then Further Maths in years 10 and 11. Warwick didn't mind either.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What are the subjects you have so far?

ReputationRep:
    *wasted

:yep: i would always be thinking "what if"... i think i just don't want to be seen as too disillusioned or something
    You've probably noticed I'm quite optimistic so I say go for it! If you work hard then there is nothing stopping you from getting the grades in my opinion, and make sure your personal statement proves how hardworking you are, and how much you want it.

Maybe talk to your tutor/ advisor and see what they think? (If they're half decent they should support and encourage you, and help you with your personal statement to give you the best possible chance).
    Maybe talk to your teachers too - ask them if they honestly think you can do it, and if it is a realistic aim for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    What are the subjects you have so far?
    Maths, German, Biology, (chemistry AS) in that order

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.