Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    'Impossible' is an absolute therefore you can't add the 'too' modifier. Some linguist you are...
    Fanks for the clarification, although the 'too' was meant as an embellishment :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    The dream: To be fluent in English, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Indonesian, French, German & Portuguese (+ other languages if it goes well) before the age of 25~30.

Thoughts anyone? Is it possible? Impossible? Go ahead, write all you wish. Don't forget to give your reasons! I always need more inspiration from both encouragement and discouragement to keep on going
    Impossible itself says I'm possible

ReputationRep:
    I would add Latin and take a couple out.

ReputationRep:
    Fanks for the clarification, although the 'too' was meant as an embellishment :rolleyes:
    np! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The dream: To be fluent in English, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Indonesian, French, German & Portuguese (+ other languages if it goes well) before the age of 25~30.

Thoughts anyone? Is it possible? Impossible? Go ahead, write all you wish. Don't forget to give your reasons! I always need more inspiration from both encouragement and discouragement to keep on going
    I also want to learn 8 languages before I hit 30.
    I currently have 4.
    English,Arabic,Spanish,French.
    4 more to go.
    Going to china next year to learn Mandarin for 6 months.
    Hopefully will learn Italianl,Russian and german once I am @ uni.

Good luck by the way.

ReputationRep:
    YES!
    if you are gifted with learning... then go ahead and ge those languages down!

I know people who are fluent in 7 + languages... it is possible
    get a stat on it and be serious you'll get it done

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Well,I'd like to quote at this time the motivational speech my therapist gave me the other day.

"Take whatever your expectations are of life. LOWER THEM. Lower them as far as you possibly can. Once you've done that, take whatever remains of your expectations in your heart and accept that they can never happen. Put your shoes on, go out and get a job you don't like, enter into a loveless marriage, drink heavily, pretend that you're happy, DON'T COMPLAIN, don't ever complain, get on with things quietly, wait patiently for death. Death will inevitably arrive, and when it does trust me you'll be more than grateful! There's no-one in charge, no plan and no meaning; just people walking around quietly and quickly decaying."

and my response

"So you may as well do what you like?"

both of which apply.

Incidentally, he never answered me; he'd already stripped to the waist, smeared himself in mayonnaise and jumped out of the window screaming "I Am The Walrus".

ReputationRep:
    Possible? Yes
    Probable? No

It certainly can be done if you have the time, money, resources and mental capacity to pull it off, but it'll be incredibly hard and take a lot of commitment - so whilst it can technically be done - it'll be very hard to actually do it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good luck with that, I am currently trying to improve my french for I shall be living in France for 6 months this year, but it will be a struggle as I am really a scientist not a linguist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaDeenThenMaLife)
    YES!
    if you are gifted with learning... then go ahead and ge those languages down!

I know people who are fluent in 7 + languages... it is possible
    get a stat on it and be serious you'll get it done

good luck
    Sorry, but how do you know that if you aren't fluent in 7 + languages? Because, I would be less trusting off people, espically when people like to brag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Sorry, but how do you know that if you aren't fluent in 7 + languages? Because, I would be less trusting off people, espically when people like to brag.
    I never said it was going to be easy
    I'm fluent in 2 languages and learning the 3rd...
    its not easy but then I didsay if OP is talented at learning quick she shoudl go for it

ReputationRep:

How do you plan to do this? As in lessons with a tutor? books? software etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaDeenThenMaLife)
    I never said it was going to be easy
    I'm fluent in 2 languages and learning the 3rd...
    its not easy but then I didsay if OP is talented at learning quick she shoudl go for it
    That wasen't what I was getting out.

I wanted to know how you would logically know if someone is fluent in
    7 + languages if you aren't. How do you know the people aren't telling fibs?

ReputationRep:
    would help if you told us how old you actually are in the OP, and how much you've learnt already

ReputationRep:

Do it. I can't wait for you to reply 'no pics' to me in Portuguese on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    That wasen't what I was getting out.

I wanted to know how you would logically know if someone is fluent in
    7 + languages if you aren't. How do you know the people aren't telling fibs?
    ooh I get you now... sorry
    well, this guy who is fluent in 7+ languages is in prison... and there he preaches people to Islam... and reads a lot of books in those 7 languages... and many people embraces Islam from whom speak those 7 languages... so I don't exactly see how people can embrace a religion if the one inviting them hadnt done a good job explaining

and then again its down to trust in people...

ReputationRep:
    Will you be able to maintain it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how old you are now, but you a hell of lot of work to do. It's not going to be easy.

ReputationRep:
    By no means is that impossible. I hope you do well.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much time you dedicate to it! It's certainly not impossible though!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.