Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do Glasgow promote the fact they have two unions by getting idiots to become fanboys and parade around like dicks at freshers and shout at each other etc...

I personally prefer the qmu mainly because of how close it is to my subjects, but really, when you have amazing pubs down the road (ashton lane) why ***** on about you crappy union all day?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of fun between the two unions, that's all. And all the better because they both offer something completely different.

Ashton Lane isn't all that great really. They are also pretty expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Well for one thing, Ashton Lane is either a rip off or just ****, depending on where you go, and at the weekend, it's full of middle-aged people trying to regain their youth.

The 'dicks' that you're talking about are actually union members who volunteer for the week, unpaid, to make sure that the whole of Freshers' week can take place. Anyway, if you don't like one union, there's always the other - the price of booze in either is significantly cheaper than most other venues in the West End too.

ReputationRep:
    Just came across this post and was thinking about going to Glasgow uni next year or maybe Strathclyde. Regardless of this post, would you recommend the university or would you have changed it if you could?

ReputationRep:
    What are the 2 unions? Strath and Glasgow? or do you mean 1 uni with 2 union bars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forgottensecret)
    Just came across this post and was thinking about going to Glasgow uni next year or maybe Strathclyde. Regardless of this post, would you recommend the university or would you have changed it if you could?
    I absolutely love Glasgow Uni to be honest. The unions are very good but they can be full of allot of douchebags. I know allot of people at strathclyde that really enjoy it, but they all admit that the union there is terrible (too many people cramped into one place despite it having 7 floors)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    What are the 2 unions? Strath and Glasgow? or do you mean 1 uni with 2 union bars?

I mean Glasgow Uni, it has two unions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiscuitFuelled)
    Well for one thing, Ashton Lane is either a rip off or just ****, depending on where you go, and at the weekend, it's full of middle-aged people trying to regain their youth.

The 'dicks' that you're talking about are actually union members who volunteer for the week, unpaid, to make sure that the whole of Freshers' week can take place. Anyway, if you don't like one union, there's always the other - the price of booze in either is significantly cheaper than most other venues in the West End too.

Yeah you are right about it being expensive at those places but idk nude/radio bar is awesome and so is that beer garden place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)
    I mean Glasgow Uni, it has two unions.
    Thats why I asked as was there last Wednesday and was talking to someone who said there used to be seperate male and female bars(this must of been many many many years ago) in the old days but now everyone uses the 1 bar.

He wasnt clear if the old female bar was still in use.

When I was in there wasnt too much hassle, was crammed in though as the only seats were with people with friends so no single seats.

ReputationRep:
    The QMU used to be the women's union, the GUU was men-only until 1980.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)
    Why do Glasgow promote the fact they have two unions by getting idiots to become fanboys and parade around like dicks at freshers and shout at each other etc...

I personally prefer the qmu mainly because of how close it is to my subjects, but really, when you have amazing pubs down the road (ashton lane) why ***** on about you crappy union all day?
    We have more fun than you. (although in your post it should be 'your')

+ you used the phrase "allot of douchebags" in your second post. That is simply rude and poorly spelt.

enjoy Glasgow, use a dictionary to give your insults poignancy, and cheer up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Shakespeare)
    We have more fun than you. (although in your post it should be 'your')

+ you used the phrase "allot of douchebags" in your second post. That is simply rude and poorly spelt.

enjoy Glasgow, use a dictionary to give your insults poignancy, and cheer up.
    I'm going to have to point out why your reply is pathetic.

First of all, 'We have more fun than you' is the worst argument I have ever heard. You do not know me, I have loads of fun. What I was saying in my original post is that the people that get involved with union fanboy-ism act like idiots and they may not know it, but everybody around them facepalms themselves. It's fine having fun, but eh....maybe grow up a bit?

Secondly, you seem to think that my 'poor' spelling is a valid thing to argue against my main point. I think you'll find this is called an 'ad hominem' argument. Besides how pedantic do you really have to be to point this out? It's an internet forum not an exam. Have you never typed fast and accidentally left out a letter? Your intelligence is questionable here because it's pretty obvious my 'your' error was a case of this happening. It's not rocket science to work out what I meant here. Did I mention that I actually have an A in advanced higher
    English? Looks like it doesn't matter what you think.

Thirdly, if you had read the rest of the post, you would have noticed that I don't need to 'cheer up' as I mentioned I do enjoy Glasgow Uni. And the unions - just not the people who think what union they join makes a difference.

Also, I wrote a little play about you.....

Bill Shakespeare: "Can I get this bus to town please?"
    Bus Driver: "Pound therty"
    Bill: "Actually, it's 'one pound' and 'thirty pence' not 'therty', your pronunciation is atrocious'
    Bus Driver: "Listen mate, no one actually gives a f*** what you think, so just get on the bus you t***"
    Bill: "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU"
    Bus Driver: "I mean we all make mistakes right? Hardly anything to even bring up unless you're a tool."
    Bill: "No, I have NEVER made a mistake in my life. My Spelling and grammar have ALWAYS been perfect I AM PERFECT"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)

Bill: "Actually, it's 'one pound' and 'thirty pence' not 'therty', your pronunciation is atrocious'
    Bus Driver: "Listen mate, no one actually gives a f*** what you think, so just get on the bus you t***"
    Bus Driver: "I mean we all make mistakes right? Hardly anything to even bring up unless you're a tool."
    Bill: "No, I have NEVER made a mistake in my life. My Spelling and grammar have ALWAYS been perfect I AM PERFECT"
    Get this published! Call it: "The epitome of a douchebag"
    But seriously Bill Shakespeare, please let you be a unique case of douchebaginism at Glasgow :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)
    I'm going to have to point out why your reply is pathetic.

First of all, 'We have more fun than you' is the worst argument I have ever heard. You do not know me, I have loads of fun. What I was saying in my original post is that the people that get involved with union fanboy-ism act like idiots and they may not know it, but everybody around them facepalms themselves. It's fine having fun, but eh....maybe grow up a bit?

Secondly, you seem to think that my 'poor' spelling is a valid thing to argue against my main point. I think you'll find this is called an 'ad hominem' argument. Besides how pedantic do you really have to be to point this out? It's an internet forum not an exam. Have you never typed fast and accidentally left out a letter? Your intelligence is questionable here because it's pretty obvious my 'your' error was a case of this happening. It's not rocket science to work out what I meant here. Did I mention that I actually have an A in advanced higher
    English? Looks like it doesn't matter what you think.

Thirdly, if you had read the rest of the post, you would have noticed that I don't need to 'cheer up' as I mentioned I do enjoy Glasgow Uni. And the unions - just not the people who think what union they join makes a difference.

Firstly, there is an irony in taking my reply seriously; you assume I was making an argument when clearly I was taking the piss. However, the above is mixed with a dose of humour, and although it is based upon naive assumptions on my character, as least it wasn't dull and critical as your original post was.

1) Yes, the fratboy attitude can be annoying. However, 1) letting it bother you is ridiculous and 2) a lot of such people give up their time freely, mainly to organise events for other students, as pointed out above.

2) When someone is taking a high moral stance, it is entertaining that they do not know how, or at least failed twice in succession, to spell 'a lot'. Why is your personal fraility any less susceptible to criticism than those of whom you are attacking?

3) I like pronouncing thirty as 'therty', and I like bus drivers.

p.s.
    "I do enjoy Glasgow Uni. And the unions..." should be the one sentence.
    "Bill: "Actually, it's 'one pound' and 'thirty pence' not 'therty', your pronunciation is atrocious'", should not.
    Exam standards are clearly falling.
    love.x

ReputationRep:
    Ohh haha I see, you were taking the piss. That was sooooo obvious. Well that's cleared that up, you're very funny.
    The ACUAL irony to your comment, was the fact that you acted like a pretentious know-it-all, when i fact, your comment failed to raise any valid arguments/points and revealed your stupidity.

1) I am a human. Things bother humans. Hence I am allowed to be bothered by things, don't act as if you don't get bothered by things. They can organise events without acting like tools.

2) Because it is an ad hominem argument, a logical fallacy, it has no place in the thread. What if I were foreign, and my spelling wasn't as great as yours? Am I not allowed to make mistakes? Take your head out of your ass.

3. pfft, hilarious dude, really funny......haha

And yes.....exam standards are clearly falling, because in your day (when everything was perfect) they would fail someone for making a few spelling mistakes. Oh sorry was this another 'hilarious' joke? You should be a comedian.

Oh actually you shouldn't (this sentence here is surprisingly 100% funnier than anything you've ever said in your life), get your head out of your ass, you're a pretentious little snob that the world doesn't give a **** about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)
    Ohh haha I see, you were taking the piss. That was sooooo obvious. Well that's cleared that up, you're very funny.
    The ACUAL irony to your comment, was the fact that you acted like a pretentious know-it-all, when i fact, your comment failed to raise any valid arguments/points and revealed your stupidity.

1) I am a human. Things bother humans. Hence I am allowed to be bothered by things, don't act as if you don't get bothered by things. They can organise events without acting like tools.

2) Because it is an ad hominem argument, a logical fallacy, it has no place in the thread. What if I were foreign, and my spelling wasn't as great as yours? Am I not allowed to make mistakes? Take your head out of your ass.

3. pfft, hilarious dude, really funny......haha

And yes.....exam standards are clearly falling, because in your day (when everything was perfect) they would fail someone for making a few spelling mistakes. Oh sorry was this another 'hilarious' joke? You should be a comedian.

Oh actually you shouldn't (this sentence here is surprisingly 100% funnier than anything you've ever said in your life), get your head out of your ass, you're a pretentious little snob that the world doesn't give a **** about!
    The above 4am (alcohol?) induced rant contains the following:

4 (obvious) sarcastic comments
    4 insults (all of which use either the word 'pretentious' or 'ass')

sleep in future. if you struggle to sleep, i suggest reading as a preferable past time to internet arguments.

much love.x

ReputationRep:
    It's just a bit of a laugh between the two unions, nobody actually cares that much about one over the other as far as I can tell, it's just a laugh. If you don't find it funny then fair enough but that doesn't make them douchebags.

OP, you're coming across like a bit of an idiot. It's like when pople in primary school used to think it was funny to add 'NOT!' to everything they said. But worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    It's just a bit of a laugh between the two unions, nobody actually cares that much about one over the other as far as I can tell, it's just a laugh. If you don't find it funny then fair enough but that doesn't make them douchebags.

OP, you're coming across like a bit of an idiot. It's like when pople in primary school used to think it was funny to add 'NOT!' to everything they said. But worse.
    Not if you believe the person at the QMU union stall at Freshers Festival last week, they were slamming GUU a lot saying they get less recognition and GUU likes to believe QMU doesnt exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Shakespeare)
    The above 4am (alcohol?) induced rant contains the following:

4 (obvious) sarcastic comments
    4 insults (all of which use either the word 'pretentious' or 'ass')

sleep in future. if you struggle to sleep, i suggest reading as a preferable past time to internet arguments.

much love.x
    Wow now you're bringing in the fact that I stay up late into this? Listen, the old ad hominem may seem great at first, but it makes you look like a moron. Assumptions really? Are you going to be that low?

Arguing over the internet takes up ALL of my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)

They are douchebags. Watch the freshers videos and you'll see they are all drinking and acting like dicks while the many freshers sit around looking depressed and bored.

An idiot? I don't understand your "not" thing, can you explain further?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.