Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i actually hate chemistry. You know those feelings when your head just goes blank and its like everything you know just falls out your head, well thats me and chemistry. Anyway have a crack at these questions ( shouldnt be too hard for the chem whizz kids) and can you please let me know how u did it!

1. 133g of silver nitrate was heated in an open tube. The silver residue weighed 0.720g. During the reaction 0.307g of Nitrogen dioxide was also produced. The rest of the mass was loss to oxygen. Use the data to write out the equation for the reaction. like what on earth word equation? symbol? :/ im guessing symbol equation tho otherwise it would be too easy.

2. When 13.9g of FeSO4.xH20 is heated 5g of solid iron (III) oxide is produced, together with the loss of 1.6g of sulfur dioxide and 2.0g of sulfur trioxide. The rest of the mass is loss being due to the water of crystallization being lost. Use the data to write out the ful equation for the action of heat.

Thanks and have fun lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n33t)
    Ahh i actually hate chemistry. You know those feelings when your head just goes blank and its like everything you know just falls out your head, well thats me and chemistry. Anyway have a crack at these questions ( shouldnt be too hard for the chem whizz kids) and can you please let me know how u did it!

1. 133g of silver nitrate was heated in an open tube. The silver residue weighed 0.720g. During the reaction 0.307g of Nitrogen dioxide was also produced. The rest of the mass was loss to oxygen. Use the data to write out the equation for the reaction. like what on earth word equation? symbol? :/ im guessing symbol equation tho otherwise it would be too easy.

2. When 13.9g of FeSO4.xH20 is heated 5g of solid iron (III) oxide is produced, together with the loss of 1.6g of sulfur dioxide and 2.0g of sulfur trioxide. The rest of the mass is loss being due to the water of crystallization being lost. Use the data to write out the ful equation for the action of heat.

Thanks and have fun lol
    1. 2AgNO3 ---> 2Ag + 2NO2 + O2

2. 2FeSO4.xH2O (s) --> Fe2O3 (s) + SO2 (g) + SO3 (g) + H2O (l)

(does this question require you to use moles to work out how many waters of hydration have been are locked into the FeSO4 structure? And also, whether by full equation it means state symbols as well?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    1. 2AgNO3 ---> 2Ag + 2NO2 + O2

2. 2FeSO4.xH2O (s) --> Fe2O3 (s) + SO2 (g) + SO3 (g) + H2O (l)

(does this question require you to use moles to work out how many waters of hydration have been are locked into the FeSO4 structure? And also, whether by full equation it means state symbols as well?)
    yehh i think im meant to work out the x aswell as the equation has to be complete. but apart from that i dont know, it doesnt say!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.