Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    why don't you just invite everyone to the cinema or suggest you go bowling or something then?

take action

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoLoco)
    Well you're not real friends if this is an issue. They seem to just follow the hype.
    You're right, they do, and it's almost depressing to see them enjoy the same thing over and over. Re: being my real friends... you might be right.

(Original post by LadyJazzles)
    why don't you just invite everyone to the cinema or suggest you go bowling or something then?

take action
    They only go to the cinema on Wednesdays because they can't afford to go on any other day (Orange Wednesdays) and have watched all the good movies that came out over summer... so it'll be a while before we all go.

Bearing in mind that I have volleyball from 7.30-9.30 pm on Wednesdays, I doubt I'll be going to the cinema anytime soon... ugh. Money sucks.

As a newly-started MSc student, I kind of agree tbh. House parties are cheaper, more relaxed and there's less pressure, as well as me finding it much easier to get home from one of those instead of spilling out of a club at 2am.

You have to be in a club with a close group of people because everybody else will just ignore you, and I usually think "I can't be bothered" when on my way to such establishments but do so out of feeling like a loner if I don't. It's generally kind of fun once I get there and get started though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    I didn't do student nights often. I preferred, and still prefer, nights like the Warehouse Project, or enjoying a good cocktail bar, or a really nice restaurant.
    And for that, you need to know people who aren't students anymore who wanna do the same thing.

Warehouse project FTW!! Though usually only once or twice a year as I am not from Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Umm, I think you are just hanging around boring people. You need to be around fun/interesting people on a night out who are just up for a good time and enjoying themselves. It sounds like you stand in the corner, complaining about how loud the music is, wishing you were at home.
    Nope, I don't like clubbing often and it's not because I stand in the corner.
    I think the key is to not got out too often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    I dont see the point of clubbing, at all

I plan on making friends who enjoy cinema/restaurants/bowling.

If that fails, Im making the trip to London to chill with at my friends house for a weekend
    Same here, no idea why anybody would prefer dancing around like a **** and getting drunk over cinema/restraurant/bowling.

ReputationRep:
    Mix it up a little - Cocktail bars? Comedy clubs? Alternative clubs? The theatre? Gigs? Bowling? Laserquest? Miscellaneous stuff (for instance, at Swansea we used to go and have a barbecue on the beach sometimes and then turn it into a bonfire after dark using driftwood... great fun. Granted that was usually in the summer though. Is there anything similarly out of the ordinary to do at at your uni?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    You're right, they do, and it's almost depressing to see them enjoy the same thing over and over. Re: being my real friends... you might be right.

They only go to the cinema on Wednesdays because they can't afford to go on any other day (Orange Wednesdays) and have watched all the good movies that came out over summer... so it'll be a while before we all go.

Bearing in mind that I have volleyball from 7.30-9.30 pm on Wednesdays, I doubt I'll be going to the cinema anytime soon... ugh. Money sucks.
    Ah noo... Okay.. Well there are plenty of other things to do aside from partying/drinking all the time.

I am not a big drinker myself so I have other interests that include: cinema, bowling (obviously) shopping, dining out (you could always all go for a meal? even nandos isn't too pricey), museums, galleries or how about a night in?

If you have a night in.. That's not expensive at all... Get a movie... Order a pizza... get some drinks in... play drinking games... poker.. etc etc there's so much else to do than clubbing all the time.

Variety is the spice of life!

ReputationRep:
    im a fresher but yeah i am -- it also makes me think that most of the whole student mentality like it came to Uni with that mindset and by end of the 1st semester will either drop out or realise on wrong course etc etc ...
    one thing i have noticed is dont go to the over-hyped events as ive found and my friends have found out the nights can turn out 1. a waste of money 2. over priced drinks and 3. ***** atmosphere

ReputationRep:
    duplicate posting ...!

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to go into my first year and I really hope this doesnt happen.

I'm very easily pleased. I mostly enjoy going to the cinema, or to a friends place to watch films with a bunch of people etc. I'm not big on clubbing at all; just not my scene.

Of course I will do it every so often, but I dont want it to be part of a regular routine. Here's hoping I manage to find people the same as me!

ReputationRep:
    Try asking if they fancy bowling or lazer quest one weekend :P Loads of my mates refuse as they think it's for kids, but it's always such a laugh!! Or just stay at your flat and drink there and play games or something.

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten pretty bored with the whole clubbing thing now. Luckily I (and my friends) are entering 4th year now, so no-one really has the time to go clubbing all the time like we did during first year

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to go to the football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    It's third year, and my friends are following the same student clubbing routine again. In my own personal experience, I see this happen in pretty much every group of friends I've ever hung out with. The routine is as follows:

1) Pre-drink fairly early on (between 7-9.30). Everyone has bought cheap, crappy alcohol. Likelihood that more than half the room actually appreciate their drink: very low.

2) Order a taxi cab (or walk if you live close) for 10.30-11pm. Oh, but make sure you've bought your ticket a few days ago at the Students Union for a queue jump!

3) Arrive at club. Bump into the same people who are proud to frequent the club every week. Buy the same crappy cheap drinks.

4) Go on dancefloor. Enjoy music for a while, bump into random acquaintances. Realise the same playlist has been played (in the same order) for the fifteenth week in a row.

5) Come 2 am, either enjoy the music or pretend you are having fun until closing time.

Next week: rinse and repeat.

It's ridiculous. It's my third year and people still aren't bored of doing this? What is wrong with a bit of variety? I understand that clubbing is a way to let loose and some people don't care if there's absolutely zero variety, but surely it's getting a little old now? I wish I could change it, but my friends are totally reluctant to try anything new and I have no other group of friends who wouldn't mind a change of scene.

Do I just need to get over myself, or will someone possibly agree with me? :o:

Just as another disclaimer: I realise it's silly to generalise all this, and I am incredibly jealous of the people who have variety/actually enjoy the repetitiveness of student clubbing.
    ..."I was bored before I even began". Clubbing = an expensive, repetitive waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of people associating students with binge drinking. Not all students get pissed all the time on cheap drinks. I would find some new friends, especially if you want to get a good degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlylwright)
    I'm about to go into my first year and I really hope this doesnt happen.

I'm very easily pleased. I mostly enjoy going to the cinema, or to a friends place to watch films with a bunch of people etc. I'm not big on clubbing at all; just not my scene.

Of course I will do it every so often, but I dont want it to be part of a regular routine. Here's hoping I manage to find people the same as me!
    I'm sure you will. It might be easier or more difficult depending on which Uni you're at and what nightlife the city offers (as I found out :rolleyes: ) but eventually you'l find friends with similar interests etc, so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question, no nobody else is sick of clubbing. Every other student loves it. There's not at all been dozens of similiar threads discussing how people don't like clubbing and I know I've not seen anyone around here worried they won't find friends at uni who aren't club-going sheep.

tl;dr version = *yawn*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)

Twist their arms into getting Cineworld Unlimited cards. Worked for me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Clubbing really isn't about doing all those things that you said.

It may be the same songs when you go, possibly a bit repetitive if you go to the same clubs each week, but surely you listen to songs on your ipod more than just the one time? And these are songs in the charts, so it's popular, everyone likes them. Depending on the music that you like, you can go to different clubs that cater for that, I know some clubs that only play music that is requested, so you get a pretty interesting mix of songs throughout the night!

And also it's really not a waste of money if it's something that you enjoy doing. I would say that cinema could be seen as a waste of money, because you can get most films online nowadays, and if you waited a few months, the same film would be on DVD, although I doubt that any of you would by the DVD because that could be classed as it being 'repetitive'.

I personally don't like to drink when I go clubbing because I don't find I need to, as I enjoy the night out without having to get off my face, so I guess the 'buying cheap crap' drinks doesn't apply to me, but I wouldn't say that the drinks are crappy at all as they have been described in earlier posts, as clubs have the same drinks as you would get in a pub, all you need to do is ask for it.

Everyone has personal taste, so if someone enjoyed the clubbing atmosphere, likes having a good laugh at a club when enjoying music and dancing, it shouldn't be looked down on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.