Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, i have 4 things:

1. I have a device on my keyring which i hold up to the door of my block and it scans it and lets me in.
    2. I have a key which opens my flat door and my room door.
    3. I have a card which i hold up to the doors of rooms i'm allowed access to at uni and it scans it and lets me in. This is also an ID card.
    4. I have an ID card to get past security on the gate of my halls of residence (part of the uni).

This could all be done with 1 card. 1 card that opens my room, flat and block door. 1 card that also opens doors on the uni campus. 1 card that i can also hold up to security so they can see i live here. But for some reason, i have 4 things to carry around. It makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    my uni is introaducing a new card system similar to yours to monitor attendence by having you scan your card when you enter a lecture or seminar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
    So, i have 4 things:

1. I have a device on my keyring which i hold up to the door of my block and it scans it and lets me in.
    3. I have a card which i hold up to the doors of rooms i'm allowed access to at uni and it scans it and lets me in. This is also an ID card.
    4. I have an ID card to get past security on the gate of my halls of residence (part of the uni).

This could all be done with 1 card. 1 card that opens my room, flat and block door. 1 card that also opens doors on the uni campus. 1 card that i can also hold up to security so they can see i live here. But for some reason, i have 4 things to carry around. It makes no sense.
    A single key between four access points means that if a single key is lost, four secure systems are compromised. it would be hilariously insecure.

ReputationRep:
    Deal with it. I would be happy with that kind of security if/when I get to university.

ReputationRep:
    what uni?

ReputationRep:
    Most places have something similar. Don't see your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cypher_Aod)
    A single key between four access points means that if a single key is lost, four secure systems are compromised. it would be hilariously insecure.
    Well no, you'd only have access to the rooms that person had access to, and you couldn't get in their room because security would look at the photo and see it wasn't you.

And the person would probably report their card missing asap so they weren't locked out of everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Better than having your stuff stolen isn't it? Sounds like a secure system to me - mine was like that in 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, you'd only have access to the rooms that person had access to, and you couldn't get in their room because security would look at the photo and see it wasn't you.

And the person would probably report their card missing asap so they weren't locked out of everywhere.
    It's called defence in depth and I think we're all well aware that security staff are by no means infallible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's called defence in depth and I think we're all well aware that security staff are by no means infallible.
    But then they'd still only get into the room of the idiot who lost their card, and first they'd have to find out which room they're in.

ReputationRep:
    So, i have 4 things:

what uni?

ReputationRep:
    I have a swipe fob for the front doors to the Halls building
    One key to open the door to our flat
    Another key to open the door to my room

One ID/swipe card for my college
    Another ID/swipe card for the uni which supports my course (I'll be going there to finish my 3rd year; the college is giving me the foundation degree).

What you've got sounds pretty normal and I'd be happy and grateful for the security, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    wow! When I was living in college I just had a key (as in an actual old school key) for my room, and then another key that let me into my block, all the other blocks around college, the post room, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think what we have is nice. It's a number code for halls of residence buildings (a different one for each block) which you just remember, key for your flat and room (sometimes two keys, sometimes a combo key for both) and an ID card which is your student ID and lets you go to wherever you're allowed on campus and get library books etc.. It means you only have to carry around a card in your purse and an keys which is pretty standard. The number code thing can be compromised though, your way sounds more safe. I'd be thankful and just get on with it because there's not much you can do!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you complaining if it does the job and isn't a massive faff? Because it isn't a massive faff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    Why are you complaining if it does the job and isn't a massive faff? Because it isn't a massive faff.
    I'll be honest, i tend to rant about things which aren't really that important in the long run. I guess it's what keeps me sane. That way i don't end up getting infuriated over real important things.

Speaking of minor things.. i got a warning for posting this in the wrong category. I posted it in General Discussion. Well, it's a discussion, people were welcome to reply. And it was general, so therefore it goes in there. But apparently not, apparently it belongs under University > Problems > Keys, or something. I got a warning for that, ridiculous.

..You will learn to love me.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.