Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rate my band's first song watch

ReputationRep:
    We recently did our first gig in which we played our first song (we were doing covers before) and we're looking for some constructive criticism of it. Hold no punches, please be honest!

I'm the one in the green tshirt

ReputationRep:
    its ****

ReputationRep:
    Can the drummer not like, stay in time?

The lyrics/vocals are pretty bad, and the guitars quite boring. It kinda sounds like if The National had no talent.

ReputationRep:
    Its alright, bog standard indie tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. That excitement at the begining made me expect something better. Still good though.

ReputationRep:
    Its crap

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Its alright, tbh

Thats the only comment i can make

But you can always improve on your songs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taylor704)
    We recently did our first gig in which we played our first song (we were doing covers before) and we're looking for some constructive criticism of it. Hold no punches, please be honest!

I'm the one in the green tshirt

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm not a musician.

But... none of you are in time with each other. The vocalist can't sing. The guitar work is amateur. The drumming is appalling. And even with all that - even if you played the song well then it would still be a **** song.

Seriously, don't give up to day job. We all want to be rockstars, I know. But this really isn't your calling. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    It's actually not good.
    Your intro is too long and the song is very average.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt mind the guitar work - could use a solo though

The biggest problem is your singer

- his voice is poor

- he just looks half arsed and uninterested - if he aint into it why hsoudlthe audience be? maybe he shoudl put down the guitar and focus on singing?

- the song meanders a lot, it needs more flow and the words need working on

ReputationRep:
    It's terrible.

None of you are in time; it's a very simple, generic, cliched tune; it's repetitive; the guitar goes nowhere and doesn't drift away from that simple, boring riff; there are about 2 chords in the whole song. Moreover, your voice is even worse than that of Morrissey, which isn't a good sign.

This said, I'm a prog metal fan, so my idea of good music is technical proficiency and world class musicianship all-round, which you'll never get from even a professional indie band anyway... it's all talentless and unimaginative generic stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't like it at all. The vocals were appalling and the tune was very ordinary. I think getting a lead singer would be very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Your attempt at being a musician is as credible as Josef Fritzl's Dad of the Year award.

ReputationRep:
    Unremarkable, nothing special that stands out to distinguish it from the hundreds of other very similar formulaic songs these days, but it's alright for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mind the vocalists voice, sounds like a budget Julian Casablancas.

ReputationRep:
    the vocalist is cack.

ReputationRep:
    haha christ. it's okay! i don't think all the above posters have been to a lot of gigs, the musicianship was pretty standard, the singer's fine considering it's life and the sound system is never great. as for the song itself, I think it's good in a brooding way, nice. i'd say it's better than a lot of big indie bands at the moment. like, i'm not so keen on the brooding stuff, but that's all Editors do really. I think you could maybe spice the guitars up I guess -try listening to Johnny Mar's guitaring on The Smiths records. I don't really like the smiths actually. but i think you've got the right idea, sounds like the result of a jam session. personally, I prefer more punchy music, so drink red bull before you practise or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Urgh. Your attempt at being a musician is as credible as Josef Fritzl's Dad of the Year award.
    But I heard that he loved his kids quite a lot. :perv:

ReputationRep:
    What is this Under Siege thing? Living quite local I'm surprised I haven't heard of it

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.