Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rate my band's first song watch

ReputationRep:
    All indie sounds the same to me. That aside, I didn't think it was terrible. I agree with what people have said about the drumming though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    I didn't mind the vocalists voice, sounds like a budget Julian Casablancas.
    i'll second that. i reckon casablancas is one of the best indie vocalists at the momentl, because he can go from that drunk blurry sound to actually quite soulful. like The Strokes have that whole "gormless, don't care" attitude, but they switch between that and being kind of frantic at certain parts of the song and that, whilst i guess ur vocalist only does the gormless part. tell him to get sharp! he's not bad though, his natural voice is fine, he could just do with doing a bit more with it

ReputationRep:
    Don't let those silly replies put you down. I see a lot of amateur bands and you are really quite good in comparison. These people have to take into account that you're still babies. Take a look at an early unisigned performance by You Me At Six on youtube, they are really quite bad. But look at them now. :p:
    I think you guys have potential. But whatever you do don't try to copy a band of today, don't try to be fashionable. If you do I really doubt you'd go far...in other words don't go for the whole 'indie' vibe, it's not indie, it's not good. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    Don't let those silly replies put you down. I see a lot of amateur bands and you are really quite good in comparison. These people have to take into account that you're still babies. Take a look at an early unisigned performance by You Me At Six on youtube, they are really quite bad. But look at them now.
    I think you guys have potential. But whatever you do don't try to copy a band of today, don't try to be fashionable. If you do I really doubt you'd go far...in other words don't go for the whole 'indie' vibe, it's not indie, it's not good.
    They're still really quite bad

ReputationRep:
    The beginning instrumental was good and showed promise.

But your lead singer... He might be a pretty face but he can't sing. He seems uninterested, like he cannot be arsed.

ReputationRep:
    Vocalist looks like he's trying too hard to look like he doesn't care.
    Just some more practice, it's not the worst thing, just room for improvement

ReputationRep:
    you all need to get better at your instruments, the drum beat sounds odd and unconfident

the guitarists sound like beginners - you need confidence and power. its like if you are unsure that what you are playing is correct

you need to fricking rock out on guitar not play like wimps

stick it to the man

play like a pro - get better - learn how to improvise
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You guys have no potential.

ReputationRep:
    Screw all the haters, good start! Obviously you guys aren't amazing, but then you wouldn't be yet, keep at it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    They're still really quite bad
    They aren't amazing, but they're huge. And they're songs are really quite catchy!

ReputationRep:
    Ol' Taylor up there was rather sneaky, I only discovered this was put here because I saw via YouTube statistics it was linked on TSR and I was surprised. So I'm gonna say my piece cos I'm the guitarist on the left.

Firstly, we're 17 year olds, playing through rubbish amps (we weren't allowed to supply our own) with a bad sound system. Bear that in mind.

(Original post by hobo06)
    What is this Under Siege thing? Living quite local I'm surprised I haven't heard of it
    Every year Rochester castle has a series of summer concerts running from Thursday-Saturday, because it's run by the council they have to 'give something back', so on the Sunday they give it over to bands under 18 years old for a free concert. 4000 people turned up, a lot of them our fans hence the woop woop

(Original post by Joey_Barton)
    haha christ. it's okay! i don't think all the above posters have been to a lot of gigs, the musicianship was pretty standard, the singer's fine considering it's life and the sound system is never great. as for the song itself, I think it's good in a brooding way, nice. i'd say it's better than a lot of big indie bands at the moment. like, i'm not so keen on the brooding stuff, but that's all Editors do really. I think you could maybe spice the guitars up I guess -try listening to Johnny Mar's guitaring on The Smiths records. I don't really like the smiths actually. but i think you've got the right idea, sounds like the result of a jam session. personally, I prefer more punchy music, so drink red bull before you practise or something?
    Yeah it does lack punch defo, I mean a lot of the calls for solos I think is because people listen to different kinds of music, but it is genuinely going somewhere.

(Original post by sango)
    Urgh. Your attempt at being a musician is as credible as Josef Fritzl's Dad of the Year award.
    Utterly pointless comment

(Original post by mc1000)
    It's terrible.

None of you are in time; it's a very simple, generic, cliched tune; it's repetitive; the guitar goes nowhere and doesn't drift away from that simple, boring riff; there are about 2 chords in the whole song. Moreover, your voice is even worse than that of Morrissey, which isn't a good sign.

This said, I'm a prog metal fan, so my idea of good music is technical proficiency and world class musicianship all-round, which you'll never get from even a professional indie band anyway... it's all talentless and unimaginative generic stuff.
    I know it's not in time at the first 20 seconds, but you can even hear them twiddle with the sound for an absolute age, but when we can finally hear it it's alright again. Listen to the whole bloody thing.

Prog metal - nuff said, boring ****y solos as opposed to a song that isn't pretentious as hell.

(Original post by kexy)
    I'm not going to lie to you, I'm not a musician.

But... none of you are in time with each other. The vocalist can't sing. The guitar work is amateur. The drumming is appalling. And even with all that - even if you played the song well then it would still be a **** song.

Seriously, don't give up to day job. We all want to be rockstars, I know. But this really isn't your calling. :sadnod:
    Again the vocalist can quite clearly sing. That's like saying Thom Yorke can't sing because he's not got a classical voice, silly. We're 17 year olds, we're not trying to be rockstars, we're just having fun.

(Original post by storm_jh)
    Can the drummer not like, stay in time?

The lyrics/vocals are pretty bad, and the guitars quite boring. It kinda sounds like if The National had no talent.
    It's in time, listen to the drum beat, it's not a basic drum beat it's something vaguely inventive.

To conclude, I can't believe how nasty you all are. After spending all my name in uni application threads I thought, ah people on TSR are nice, but no, almost everyone on this thread is a stuck up idiot.

Firstly: listen to the song fully before commenting
    Secondly: keep in mind that this may not be your particular genre, hence why we don't have super solos or distorted guitars out of nowhere or whatever you think is 'missing'
    Thirdly: It is quite clearly in time, go get your metronome out if you don't believe me.

Thank you and goodnight

EDIT: And another thing, I spammed this on quite a few forums which were guitar related, where they're more likely to be harsh since they tend to be absolute snobs about everything from equipment to style of playing, yet the worst we got was "a bit boring" which is fair enough I can understand how some people might not be entertained by it. Just find it confusing that a bunch of bigoted students can tear something simple but reasonably effective apart tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ol' Taylor up there was rather sneaky, I only discovered this was put here because I saw via YouTube statistics it was linked on TSR and I was surprised. So I'm gonna say my piece cos I'm the guitarist on the left.

Firstly, we're 17 year olds, playing through rubbish amps (we weren't allowed to supply our own) with a bad sound system. Bear that in mind.

Every year Rochester castle has a series of summer concerts running from Thursday-Saturday, because it's run by the council they have to 'give something back', so on the Sunday they give it over to bands under 18 years old for a free concert. 4000 people turned up, a lot of them our fans hence the woop woop

Yeah it does lack punch defo, I mean a lot of the calls for solos I think is because people listen to different kinds of music, but it is genuinely going somewhere.

Utterly pointless comment

I know it's not in time at the first 20 seconds, but you can even hear them twiddle with the sound for an absolute age, but when we can finally hear it it's alright again. Listen to the whole bloody thing.

Prog metal - nuff said, boring ****y solos as opposed to a song that isn't pretentious as hell.

Again the vocalist can quite clearly sing. That's like saying Thom Yorke can't sing because he's not got a classical voice, silly. We're 17 year olds, we're not trying to be rockstars, we're just having fun.

It's in time, listen to the drum beat, it's not a basic drum beat it's something vaguely inventive.

To conclude, I can't believe how nasty you all are. After spending all my name in uni application threads I thought, ah people on TSR are nice, but no, almost everyone on this thread is a stuck up idiot.

Firstly: listen to the song fully before commenting
    Secondly: keep in mind that this may not be your particular genre, hence why we don't have super solos or distorted guitars out of nowhere or whatever you think is 'missing'
    Thirdly: It is quite clearly in time, go get your metronome out if you don't believe me.

Thank you and goodnight

Don't take criticism well, do ya...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Don't take criticism well, do ya...
    You'll see I take criticism well from the criticism bestowed in the second quote I think, just not when it's insults.

Maybe you think of criticism as just ad hominem attacks, but I think of it in the academic fashion, as in criticism that actually builds upon something and has a point.

If you just wanted to say, yeah I think it's a bit boring or whatever then that's fine, but if you're just gonna go "it's ****" or "lololol old meme Fritzl joke here" it's just a case of: grow up.

We can clearly play our instruments the singer can quite clearly sing, and given the conditions of the sound and arrangement it was reasonably smooth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    You'll see I take criticism well from the criticism bestowed in the second quote I think, just not when it's insults.

Maybe you think of criticism as just ad hominem attacks, but I think of it in the academic fashion, as in criticism that actually builds upon something and has a point.

If you just wanted to say, yeah I think it's a bit boring or whatever then that's fine, but if you're just gonna go "it's ****" or "lololol old meme Fritzl joke here" it's just a case of: grow up.

We can clearly play our instruments the singer can quite clearly sing, and given the conditions of the sound and arrangement it was reasonably smooth.
    Then if you're so confident of your ability as a band, why consult an internet forum for its general opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I didnt mind the guitar work - could use a solo though

Even as a guitarist myself, I ****ing hate the way that everyone seems to insist that a song without a solo 'could use a solo'. Not every song has to have a ****ing solo. Most solos are complete crap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.