Turn on thread page Beta

Good Tips for freshers' week/s written by a social butterfly watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Throughout my sixth form I was a massive floater...lots of people were. I, like some others, ate lunch/hung out during empty lessons with different people everyday. I even made several close friends amongst the hundreds of acquaintances. I prefer getting to know loads of different people and spending time with them all instead of sticking to one clique. Guess that doesn't cut it at uni?
    That is what I do at my uni. I know so many different people

Just be yourself, dont be needy, clingy and everything just falls into place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storm_jh)
    All this advice is really bad, op, you're an ass.
    Couldn't of put it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    "Social butterfly".

:stupid:

ReputationRep:
    Uhh.

if I had to choose either following your advice or not having friends, I'd go for the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)

6. If you commit too early you may discover you are hanging out with a group that on closer inspection is a social embarrassment to you, or a group in which you always get **** on. These socially inept, crass or loutish individuals who take you for a friend could come back to haunt you again, again, again and again, when you least expect years down the line. So NEVER commit to ONE group of friends in the first week.
    Wow, what a way to make finding friends sound like some-sort of selfish, egotistical competition. Yes, if you're not comfortable around certain ppl then of course it is acceptable to subtly slide away. But please do not select/reject friends on the basis of their street cred- if you get on with them and enjoy their company, even if they are unfashionable, socially inept, crass or loutish, stick with 'em- nobody's perfect!

I'm also unsure as to what is meant by "committing" here- Dunno about the OP, but when I went through Fresher's week there weren't any binding friendship contracts or initiations to go through.

The OP is in a sense correct in that you should certainly get to know as many people as reasonably possible to increase your chances of finding the right types for you, but ignore all this rubbish about choosing fashionable friends!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.