Turn on thread page Beta

Do soldiers deserve any special kind of respect? watch

• View Poll Results: Do soldiers deserve special respect over other professions?
    Yes, unconditionally
    29.67%
    Only in certain cases
    37.33%
    No, it is just another profession
    33.00%

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they will always get the utmost respect from me. Politics aside, they do a job the majority of the population don't have the balls to do.

ReputationRep:
    tbh the majority of young people entering the army dont enter the army with thoughts of "i want to fight for what is right and im willing to put my life on the line". they enter it because they are uneducated and so not able to do anyhting else, and have male bravado thoughts of "i get to have a gun and fight!" etc. most of the uneducated soldiers in the army probably dont have any real idea of what they are fighting for. obviously im generalising but i think this is true for the majority.

so no i dont think they deserve our respect.

Yes, I will automatically respect someone who is suspending their conscience in the name of piece of cloth that their masters manipulated to make them want to risk their lives fighting on foreign soil for causes that can be, the furthest thing away from protecting their country.

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't deserve any special kind of respect, most of them only joined up because they were too thick to do anything else anyway. And yeah, they get killed occasionally, but so do ******* thousands of iraqi/afgan civilians at their hands, no one mentions that.

ReputationRep:
    I think they deserve respect - they constantly have a very real chance of dying and yet carry on, for less pay than I get working 3 days a week as a healthcare assistant. Maybe not everyone thinks that the wars we are fighting currently are to protect us, and to be honest the only way I can see it is is that the taliban are being forced to use up resources, but if the UK was invaded how many of you would change your tune? It's the same army.

Also to the retards saying that they could just round up gangs of minorities, a lot of my mates are in the army and there's no way in hell they would! ***** sake they don't get brainwashed they are nice people!! And even if they were punished for disobeying I think they would run a far greater risk of being punished for genocide in the future!

ReputationRep:
    I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins, when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins, when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
    But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
    But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
    The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
    O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
    Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
    We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Rudyard Kipling (1890)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Yes, they will always get the utmost respect from me. Politics aside, they do a job the majority of the population don't have the balls to do.
    There's a difference between having balls, and being stupid, you realise that yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I respect them for what they do, regardless of whether or not I respect the cause that they're fighting for. Surely even the people who are strongly opposed to the Iraq conflict have to respect the fact that they're willing to go over there and do something that I and a lot of other people would never dream of doing.

It's not the soldiers I have a problem with, it's the governments.
    Out of interest do you share the same sentiments for the Taliban soldiers?

ReputationRep:
    The military are involved in a lot more than the unpopular wars!

Yes, the soldiers, sailors and airmen who serve and protect the nation, our shores and the shores of our territories deserve special respect - some may join for the wrong reasons but those who thrive are doing a job that few would be willing to do (comparatively).

For the same reason, I believe those who serve in the civilian services (Police, fire and ambulance) deserve, in general, special respect (you get the odd lousy apple, especially in the police, but the sentiment still holds true). These people also chose to face risks associated with their jobs, but without their choice the rest of use would be in a significantly worse place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Ok by your logic signing up to fight for the rights of others putting your life on the line to defend your country and a nation full of ungratful sods like you is the same as signing up to work at tesco stacking shelves? Nothing different between the two. Ok so go join the army and risk your life because as you say there is nothing special about risking your life for others and standing up to a million and one kinds of danger every day and accept that in all likelyhood you will die in a field somewhere so that lazy cowards can sit on their computers and complain about how soliders are in no way different to any other kind of job.

Pah I hate people like you that say soliders are in no way special but would never even dream of becoming one. I wonder why that is maybe because it does infact take something special to put your life on the line.
    I hate this counter-arguement. OP does not have to join the army, OP probably has enough qualifications to do a better paid and more intellectually stimulating job then being a soldier.Of the few soldiers I know none had enough GCSE passes to do AS levels.
    People are not cowards because they choose not to be soldiers. I bet Stephen Hawking should have given up physics in his twenties and fought like a REAL MAN, rather than noncing about, right?

ReputationRep:
    For me this is an awkward issue. I don't agree with the unconditional support of soldiers because this carries with it a tendency to turn a blind eye to wrongs within the military and often goes along with a "My country right or wrong" way of thinking. I don't think that being a member of the military should make you exempt from criticism and people sign up for all sorts of reasons, not just out of a selfless desire to protect people who need protecting. A friend of mine who's worked for the MoD and been to military careers events where there were soldiers talking about the fact they liked the idea of going out to kill people. That doesn't deserve any respect. There's also the fact that because soldiers are contracted to follow orders, they don't really have any opportunity to employ personal moral considerations, and it sours respect one might have for soldiers when you realise they've signed themselves up so that the government can send them into morally dubious wars like Iraq.

However, at the same time I understand that soldiers do a very difficult job in very difficult circumstances. Going on a tour of duty means making sacrifices and putting yourself in danger, and of course I have respect for people that manage to take on a job like that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the wars we are currently fighting and I'm not exactly fond of the British Army. But most soldiers still join the army in the belief that they are protecting there country and the fact that they're willing to die for it definatly means they warrant respect.

Although I wouldn't say uncdonitional because there are some ***** who have no other prospects and join the army for the fun of the killing people. But you would generally assume that isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I respect them for what they do, regardless of whether or not I respect the cause that they're fighting for. Surely even the people who are strongly opposed to the Iraq conflict have to respect the fact that they're willing to go over there and do something that I and a lot of other people would never dream of doing.

It's not the soldiers I have a problem with, it's the governments.
    Would you say the same about the soldiers in the taliban?

ReputationRep:
    Woah, way more people say 'yes, unconditionally' than I thought they would. In my opinion, they're not fighting for our country and they're not really helping anyone. They decide they want to become soldiers-fine- but I don't understand why I'm expected to have an ounce of respect for them.

ReputationRep:
    Got to love the people voting the last option, safely behind their keyboard and not having to face the prospect of a battlefield. Must be nice.

ReputationRep:
    If they're conscripted or volunteer during a time of conscription then I have a lot of respect for them. Otherwise, it's just a job with risks and benefits that anyone signing up should have considered beforehand.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I'll ignore all the insults. Why does it make it really admirable just because it's risky? Being a matador or a member of the Taliban is extremely risky but I'd never describe it as an admirable job.
    Maybe you would if it was your country that had been invaded
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    I hate this counter-arguement. OP does not have to join the army, OP probably has enough qualifications to do a better paid and more intellectually stimulating job then being a soldier.Of the few soldiers I know none had enough GCSE passes to do AS levels.
    People are not cowards because they choose not to be soldiers. I bet Stephen Hawking should have given up physics in his twenties and fought like a REAL MAN, rather than noncing about, right?
    Nope. OP is *****ing about a job I doubt he would ever do. Stephen hawking does not go round making pointless threads about how being a solider is just another job.

ReputationRep:
    I don't respect them anymore than I do other professions that are difficult- inner city policemen, paramedics, teachers in rough schools, aid workers, social workers etc. I fail to see in any way how they are fighting "for us" our safety, or our country at the moment. If we were on the verge of being invaded then maybe, but not currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storm_jh)
    There's a difference between having balls, and being stupid, you realise that yeah?
    You wouldn't know.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.