Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do soldiers deserve any special kind of respect? watch

• View Poll Results: Do soldiers deserve special respect over other professions?
    Yes, unconditionally
    29.67%
    Only in certain cases
    37.33%
    No, it is just another profession
    33.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noam Chomsky)
    And the country that American soldiers is fighting for is a just, international law abiding, and honest one?
    The US is much more just country than Afghanistan under the Taliban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Precisely my point. I won't respect someone just because they're a soldier, or just because 'they're fighting to protect us' or whatever. Because if I do, that means I respect the soldiers who commit atrocities- purely because they're soldiers and I must respect them. I respect them as individuals based on their actions- whether they're a soldier or not is irrelevent, because as you've pointed out, just because you're a soldier that doesn't necessarily mean you deserve respect.
    Oh absolutely - I think it's a given that when people talk about respecting soldiers, they're excluding soldiers that have committed atrocities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    The US is much more just country than Afghanistan under the Taliban.
    Comparing the two is tough.

America is guilty of some heinous crimes though, in my opinion, and has used its army to carry out these crimes throughout history. This doesn't mean that the soldiers themselves are to blame for carrying out what is effectively their duty.

And before anyone mentions Nurenberg, slightly different.

ReputationRep:
    No, they deserve less respect than prostitutes.

ReputationRep:

America is guilty of some heinous crimes though, in my opinion, and has used its army to carry out these crimes throughout history. This doesn't mean that the soldiers themselves are to blame for carrying out what is effectively their duty.

However, the US has also used it's Army to prevent crimes in it's history, actions which the soldiers involved probably disagreed with, but did nonetheless, actions that I'm positive noone here would disagree with*.

*enforcing desegregation during the Civil Rights movement.

ReputationRep:
    Soldiers spill blood for oil, and they enjoy it. Scum.

ReputationRep:
    Oh absolutely - I think it's a given that when people talk about respecting soldiers, they're excluding soldiers that have committed atrocities.
    I don't just mean that though- I also don't particularly respect soldiers who, like, don't do anything in particular, or who are indifferent to suffering around them, or who are blase or lacking in compassion, or who enjoy killing. So it's not a case of 'I respect all soldiers except those who commit atrocities'- it's a case of, the person has to do something positive to earn my respect, whether they're a soldier or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    However, the US has also used it's Army to prevent crimes in it's history, actions which the soldiers involved probably disagreed with, but did nonetheless, actions that I'm positive noone here would disagree with*.

*enforcing desegregation during the Civil Rights movement.
    Interesting point. Why do you believe the soldiers probably disagreed with that particular action?

ReputationRep:
    I respect them for what they do in Afghanistan, but I don't give any emotion when they're killed....

..... this particularly being the case after what they did and continue to do to Catholics in Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    Soldiers spill blood for oil, and they enjoy it. Scum.
    :confused:

A soldier is an enlisted man or woman who serves in an army. That's it.

ReputationRep:

I don't disagree. But I think, in general, soldiers do deserve our respect because they're putting their lives on the line - in their minds - for their fellow countrymen, not to carry out the government's dirty work. I mean, could you imagine coming home from the Vietnam War, mentally scarred after putting your life on the line for your country, only to be called a baby killer? What I guess I'm saying is, instead of people disrespecting the soldiers, they should take up their beef with the government.

ReputationRep:
    ]What I guess I'm saying is, instead of people disrespecting the soldiers, they should take up their beef with the government.
    Completely and wholeheartedly agree.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting point. Why do you believe the soldiers probably disagreed with that particular action?
    As much as I dislike stereotyping members of the Armed Forces, it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that members of the US Army are/were largely conservative, in most cases it was the National Guard so they were southerners. The odds would suggest that if any of them had political thoughts on the matetr, they'd be against it. But, they had faith enough in the rank structure and the orders to follow them through nonetheless.

Of course, I freely admit this is all just guesswork and its very feasible I'm massively wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I don't just mean that though- I also don't particularly respect soldiers who, like, don't do anything in particular, or who are indifferent to suffering around them, or who are blase or lacking in compassion, or who enjoy killing.
    99% of servicemen don't hold any of these characteristics.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree. But I think, in general, soldiers do deserve our respect because they're putting their lives on the line - in their minds - for their fellow countrymen, not to carry out the government's dirty work. I mean, could you imagine coming home from the Vietnam War, mentally scarred after putting your life on the line for your country, only to be called a baby killer? What I guess I'm saying is, instead of people disrespecting the soldiers, they should take up their beef with the government.
    Yes!

But since when was that going to be likely?

I've genuinely lost count of the number of times I, or my friends, have been called murderers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I respect them for what they do, but I don't give any emotion when they're killed....

..... this particularly being the case after what they did and continue to do to Catholics in Northern Ireland.
    A controversial example. Atrocities in Northern Ireland have undoubtedly been committed by members of the British Army, [I]generally[I] in retaliation against the Real IRA or other Republican dissidents. You must surely agree that the job that the British Army was sent to do in NI was a dreadfully hard one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I respect them for what they do in Afghanistan, but I don't give any emotion when they're killed....

Expand. My father served in Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    I don't just mean that though- I also don't particularly respect soldiers who, like, don't do anything in particular, or who are indifferent to suffering around them, or who are blase or lacking in compassion, or who enjoy killing. So it's not a case of 'I respect all soldiers except those who commit atrocities'- it's a case of, the person has to do something positive to earn my respect, whether they're a soldier or not.
    Well I'd preclude those people from having my respect, too! Do you really think that when people say "soldiers deserve respect" that they're also talking about bloodthirsty chavs who only signed up because they thought it'd be a laugh to kill people?

ReputationRep:
    As much as I dislike stereotyping members of the Armed Forces, it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that members of the US Army are/were largely conservative, in most cases it was the National Guard so they were southerners. The odds would suggest that if any of them had political thoughts on the matetr, they'd be against it. But, they had faith enough in the rank structure and the orders to follow them through nonetheless.

Of course, I freely admit this is all just guesswork and its very feasible I'm massively wrong.
    It would be interesting to look into this further. I wonder to what extent the Army used Black GI's in this case if at all...

ReputationRep:
    I've genuinely lost count of the number of times I, or my friends, have been called murderers.
    Really? It must be maddening hearing that from the very people you signed up to protect...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.