Turn on thread page Beta

Do soldiers deserve any special kind of respect? watch

• View Poll Results: Do soldiers deserve special respect over other professions?
    Yes, unconditionally
    29.67%
    Only in certain cases
    37.33%
    No, it is just another profession
    33.00%

ReputationRep:
    Depends why they're doing it. If they're just nutters who use it as an excuse to kill people, then no. Each soldier is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noam Chomsky)
    It would be interesting to look into this further. I wonder to what extent the Army used Black GI's in this case if at all...
    Well, a quick flick on the 'net did suggest a bit. I know it's only wikipedia, but check this bit out, with particular attention to the exact quote by the General of the Alabama NG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Really? It must be maddening hearing that from the very people you signed up to protect...
    Only slightly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. After all, they'll be the ones dying to protect my parents + family + friends in any sort of conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Soldiers do an enormous amount of humanitarian work, e.g. in recent years in Sierra Leone and Kosovo - it's not just about Iraq and Afghanistan, whatever your views are on those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Well, a quick flick on the 'net did suggest a bit. I know it's only wikipedia, but check this bit out, with particular attention to the exact quote by the General of the Alabama NG.
    Not that surprising really! When it came to enforcing desegregation, I wouldn't be surprised if it became policy to use both Black and White soldiers/officials where possible, to show some kind of united front. Lead by example, that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    99% of servicemen don't hold any of these characteristics.
    We can all make up statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noam Chomsky)
    Not that surprising really! When it came to enforcing desegregation, I wouldn't be surprised if it became policy to use both Black and White soldiers/officials where possible, to show some kind of united front. Lead by example, that kind of thing.
    I'm not sure by which point coloured and white soldiers were allowed to serve in the same company though. Certainly, throughout WW2 coloured troops weren't allowed on the frontline, aside from a few notable exceptions like the Tuskagee Airmen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    Anyone who is only there for the money does not last long - for £1000 a month I wouldn't call it reasonably well paid either.
    £1000 a month, & the rest.
    My bro in law is in the army & belive you me he is on GOOD money.
    Back to topic, they do desverve respect regardless of peoples opinions on iraq/afghan as they are human beings at end of day trying to do a job like the rest of us. Imagine how you would feel coming back from working away to be heckled by extremists/protestors.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if some of thesepoints have been made already but you are completely wrong.

(Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I've often heard recently how soldiers should be treated with more respect and they don't get enough praise and admiration from the public here in the UK compared to the extremely patriotic USA or North Korea but do they? They aren't conscripts so they've joined the army through their own choice and they are getting paid a salary for it (a few are voluntary I know but generally speaking) so they are fully aware of the risks and dangers involved when they sign up and the fact that they may be sent to war but still do it for various reasons, money being one of them as well as the opportunity to learn skills and get experience which will help them acquire a successful career later on down the line.

Everybody acts in what they percieve to be their best interests at all times so the fact they want to do it is no arguement against them getting more respect because if they didn't want to they wouldn't be soliders at all. You wouldn't say that someone who devotes their life to charity work is deserving of no more respect that a burgular because the charity worker enjoys the feeling of helping people.

What about the phrase "our troops our fighting for our country and dying in Afghanistan for us" etc? Well yes they have been fighting in Afghanistan and dying, but most people are against the war and want troops to pull out and most were against the Iraq war to begin with. They're not fighting for "our country" because our country isn't being invaded, they're fighting for political purposes in this case to appease our most important ally, the US.

They are fighting for our country. By country people mean the entire population and because the population elected the politicians who decided to invade they are fighting for the people of the UK.

When you sign up to join the army and go and fight in wars you may not necessarily agree with, you have effectively consented to do anything the government wants you to do. If the BNP were therefore elected by some miracle and told the army to forcibly deport all ethnic minorities and kill the ones who resist, soldiers would comply even though it is completely morally unjustifiable. Does this kind of submission to government by people warrant respect and would more wars be prevented if soldiers didn't provide governments with such a level of obedience?

Note there are other jobs which are very difficult and dangerous and may be more morally acceptable, e.g. being a doctor, safety inspector or an aid worker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I'm not sure by which point coloured and white soldiers were allowed to serve in the same company though. Certainly, throughout WW2 coloured troops weren't allowed on the frontline, aside from a few notable exceptions like the Tuskagee Airmen.
    If I'm not mistaken, 1948.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h0ple55)
    Yes. After all, they'll be the ones dying to protect my parents + family + friends in any sort of conflict.
    I'm a self confessed cynic...but I don't think that has been the case since the Second World War, probably. Nowadays, especially for the US but to some extent Britain as well, soldiers are dying to protect the business interests of mega-corporations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I've often heard recently how soldiers should be treated with more respect and they don't get enough praise and admiration from the public here in the UK compared to the extremely patriotic USA or North Korea but do they? They aren't conscripts so they've joined the army through their own choice and they are getting paid a salary for it (a few are voluntary I know but generally speaking) so they are fully aware of the risks and dangers involved when they sign up and the fact that they may be sent to war but still do it for various reasons, money being one of them as well as the opportunity to learn skills and get experience which will help them acquire a successful career later on down the line.

What about the phrase "our troops our fighting for our country and dying in Afghanistan for us" etc? Well yes they have been fighting in Afghanistan and dying, but most people are against the war and want troops to pull out and most were against the Iraq war to begin with. They're not fighting for "our country" because our country isn't being invaded, they're fighting for political purposes in this case to appease our most important ally, the US.

When you sign up to join the army and go and fight in wars you may not necessarily agree with, you have effectively consented to do anything the government wants you to do. If the BNP were therefore elected by some miracle and told the army to forcibly deport all ethnic minorities and kill the ones who resist, soldiers would comply even though it is completely morally unjustifiable. Does this kind of submission to government by people warrant respect and would more wars be prevented if soldiers didn't provide governments with such a level of obedience?

Note there are other jobs which are very difficult and dangerous and may be more morally acceptable, e.g. being a doctor, safety inspector or an aid worker.
    Being a solider is not just about wizzing off to Afghanistan (Which you need to get facts right btw on why we actually there.)

I believe they do deserve respect, and there are many other "professions" which deserve it do, but why do i believe they deserve increased respect?

Well, as stated in another post above by someone, they are joining knowing the risks, there may well come a time that our troops are called to defend our own country (hopefully not! but it could happen)... They aren't specifically joining to go fight in Afghanistan.

But even so, they are fighting not only for our country but for other people, to defend the free right to live. In Afghanistan the Taliban rule is incredibly oppressive. Should we, a nation which once owned 1/3 of the worlds land mass, a nation which is more wealthy then those around it not lend aid to the people who need it?

A quote I love from back in the 18th century is this "I may not agree with what you say sir, but by god I shall die defending your right to say it", this says it all really, The majority of us would much rather live in a world where we have the right to moan about the government, the right to moan about the next tax increase, the right to moan about soldiers getting respect.

IF IF IF we stood by each time then the world would be a different place, if we had stood aside when Hitler invaded Poland, would we still have free speech?

Our soldiers deserve respect because they are putting there lives on the line, regardless of the cause, but for a cause non the less (which just happens to be related to improving the lives of a country in the long period).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Well I'd preclude those people from having my respect, too! Do you really think that when people say "soldiers deserve respect" that they're also talking about bloodthirsty chavs who only signed up because they thought it'd be a laugh to kill people?
    Well, yeah- because when you say 'soldiers deserve respect', that's a blanket statement, and includes all soldiers, whether they're idiots or not. Which is why it's a statement I really disagree with, and why I think it's important to base respect on individuals and their actions, rather than on something like a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Expand. My father served in Northern Ireland.
    Is that intended to make me change my opinion completely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Is that intended to make me change my opinion completely?
    Um, no, I was just giving my reason for being interested in your opinion. It was a pretty bold statement you made. But don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    No they don't deserve any special respect. They've chosen to do a job. No ones forced them to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe some of the ignorant replies on here!
    My father served in the Falklands and in Northern Ireland. He got a degree at Maths at York and never killed on 'behalf of oil' as some of you are saying. While soldiers do indeed volunteer, they certainly deserve respect for what they do. They don't just 'murder Afghan children' as some of you say, but they do loads of charity work as well, e.g. Sierra Leone.
    As for that plank who was comparing Afghanistan to USA, I think you need to get real. Afghanistan is a country which has suppressed women and ethnic groups and other religions; had regimes which have killed thousands etc etc. The USA may have its flaws, but to compare it to Afghanistan is to do a great dissrespect to the people who have suffered under Taleban rule.
    The majority of soldiers deserve great respect for what they do. They may not 'protect our country' in a traditional sense (1939-45), but they do by eliminating terrorists who seek to end our democracy (which allows you to spout such idiotic views on soldiers) and instill a terrible extremist ideology.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just re-post for the third or fourth time the passage that I have used on all the other pointless threads of this nature which seems to attract all the trolls and weirdos to insult my career:

(Original post by schleigg)
    The naivety of some of the do-gooder "why can't we all just get along" people on here is just amazing.

1) We don't want people bowing at our feet and blowing smoke up our arses, we just want basic respect that you'd give anyone else. i.e not coming up to you in the street when you're in uniform and spitting on you or giving random abuse; and even not being turned away from pubs or similar just because you're in uniform.

2) There has always been war. I know it makes you upset but it's true. As an advanced nation we have a professional and modern armed services who's job it is to protect national interests both foreign and domestic. Otherwise we'd just sit on our elbows and wait til someone invaded. I'm sure the Polish Cavalry (who had the same "why do we need new weapons?" ideology that some cretins here have) did very well against the German Panzer divisions back in 1939... oh dear.

3) Killing is natural, get used to it. My bacon and sausages that I had for breakfast didn't get artificially created.

4) For all you brainwashed morons who think that the British Army runs around killing Afghan civilians for shiggles: develop an opinion of your own and don't base your entire knowledge about the Afghan campaign on what you read in the tabloids. We are fighting an enemy that USES civilians as weapons, asymmetric warfare where we are playing by strict rules and they have none. How would you like the feeling that every woman or child passing you in the street could have TNT strapped to their chest?

Any grown-up and sensible, logical points from the floor?
    If anyone's interested: I chose the third poll option.

ReputationRep:
    The first two replies to this thread sum up my response entirely.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.