Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to reduce the swelling in my knee - FAST! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, as you may know from one of my previous threads, I fell off my moped on monday, and as a result my knee has swollen, and still hasn't reduced since.

It's now really annouying, because, I can't walk well, I can only limp on my leg with the swollen knee, and i'm missing out on assignments which I can't continue doing. I just really want to be able to get back to my normal life again, and at least be able to walk without being in pain.

Does anyone here know how I can reduce the swelling on my knee fast? It's been almost a week now since the accident, and I can't afford to miss out on much more of normal life, plus i'm really bored being stuck at home.

Any ideas for what I could do?

ReputationRep:
    go to your doctor.....

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    go to your doctor.....
    I mean stuff I can do at home to help, i've been applying ice packs to my knee, but it still isn't helping, and i've been taking pain killers but they don't help.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't put too much pressure on it, like try not to walk too much, and keep a cold press on it. When combined with your medication, that's pretty much all you can do.

ReputationRep:
    doctor!! other then that stay off it, take ibruprophen and apply cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    Just don't put too much pressure on it, like try not to walk too much, and keep a cold press on it. When combined with your medication, that's pretty much all you can do.
    I'm supposed to be going to college tomorrow, my parents want me to, because, they said i've been home a week, and that I should try, and go, but I can't even walk properally. If I went to college then I would have to walk alot which I can't do. I wasn't acctually perscribed any medication, i'm just using nurofen painkillers, but they suck when it comes to relieving pain for my injuries.

ReputationRep:
    Protection
    Rest
    Ice pack
    Compression
    Elevation

Do those!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Protection
    Rest
    Ice pack
    Compression
    Elevation

Do those!
    I thought it was R.I.C.E, but the protection thing is good aswell, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    that sucks. could you not get crutches or something as they would probably help you get around a bit better. get a doctor to give you better pain medication or take paracetamol and ibuprofen together (thats what i do when my back is really playing up and it helps a bit). try keeping ice on it for quite a while tonight as that should help a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfergirl1)
    I thought it was R.I.C.E, but the protection thing is good aswell, thanks!
    It used to be RICE for years but now people seem to say PRICE instead ... there was some random study done on it where they added protection as a factor.

Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89)
    that sucks. could you not get crutches or something as they would probably help you get around a bit better. get a doctor to give you better pain medication or take paracetamol and ibuprofen together (thats what i do when my back is really playing up and it helps a bit). try keeping ice on it for quite a while tonight as that should help a bit.
    I wanted to get some crutches, but the doctor said that it's better if I just try, and walk on my left leg even though it is badly bruised, and swollen. I've tried walking on it though, but it's still painful, and yeah i'm using the ice technique.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if I should go to college tomorrow though? I need to really, because, i'm gonna be behind on my assignment, plus if I take more than 7 days off I get kicked off the course. However, I still can't walk, and i'm in alot of pain with my knee, err not sure.

ReputationRep:
    More serious injuries to the knee, especially damage to the ligament, can take months to heal and may even require surgery later down the line.

You can try a Nurofen rub which will reduce inflamation (but don't take it alongside pills, just 'alternate' it) and will also help with the pain.

But seriously, go back to your doctor, see if he can prescribe you an alternative/stronger NSAID painkiller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    More serious injuries to the knee, especially damage to the ligament, can take months to heal and may even require surgery later down the line.

You can try a Nurofen rub which will reduce inflamation (but don't take it alongside pills, just 'alternate' it) and will also help with the pain.

But seriously, go back to your doctor, see if he can prescribe you an alternative/stronger NSAID painkiller.
    I'm pretty sure that my knee isn't 'seriously' injured, it's just that swelling seems to be taking forever to heal, but hopefully it won't take months.

ReputationRep:
    Anyoy more tips, it still hasn't healed yet, and i'm missing out on college today, because, of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfergirl1)
    Anyoy more tips, it still hasn't healed yet, and i'm missing out on college today, because, of it.
    You really should :doctor:

ReputationRep:
    Elevation, ice, compression, and don't walk on it too much. Can't think of anything else.

ReputationRep:
    This is what you should do:

Wear protective leathers in future you clown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Elevation, ice, compression, and don't walk on it too much. Can't think of anything else.
    Okay, thanks, i'm trying not to walk on it too much.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.