Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know about this area? Is there any measure by which I can rank the different departments in the UK? What are the most respected departments?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sanger, EBI, Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Manchester, John Innes.

There is stuff going on in smaller groups elsewhere but these are the big boys in terms of commanding the most funding for this area in the UK as well as having dedicated training centres for PhDs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate thats really helpful. Do you know which are the bigger American Colleges for this as well? Would you recommend going to the states for this?

Thanks afain.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of institutions in the US and where you might consider kind of depends on what aspects of systems/computational biology you might be interested in. There are just too many to name!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by shiny)
    Sanger, EBI, Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Manchester, John Innes.

There is stuff going on in smaller groups elsewhere but these are the big boys in terms of commanding the most funding for this area in the UK as well as having dedicated training centres for PhDs.
    Sanger and EBI both enrol their students at Cambridge (at least, I know Sanger do and I think EBI do...) and the EBI students are on the EMBL programme. I guess if you wanted to look at the US, maybe the Broad and Cold Spring Harbor?

Sanger and EBI are both really worth considering because they take so many students and will fund you wherever in the world you come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Sanger and EBI both enrol their students at Cambridge (at least, I know Sanger do and I think EBI do...) and the EBI students are on the EMBL programme. I guess if you wanted to look at the US, maybe the Broad and Cold Spring Harbor?
    Although Cambridge is the awarding institution I mentioned them separately because Sanger and EBI are distinct research institutions and the University itself has its own groups involved with Systems/Computational Biology in various departments (e.g. LMB, Plant Sciences, CSBC).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by shiny)
    Although Cambridge is the awarding institution I mentioned them separately because Sanger and EBI are distinct research institutions and the University itself has its own groups involved with Systems/Computational Biology in various departments (e.g. LMB, Plant Sciences, CSBC).

I guessed as much, I just thought the OP might want to know that Sanger and EBI PhDs are attached to Cambridge (it's not always obvious).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.