Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Trilby hat style? Wearing it "indoors?" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I got two trilby hats http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...40&bih=712%29, Something like that, but a black one and a dark-grey/patterned one. What's the best outfit that would suit it for a 16-year old male? I plan to wear it to my Sixth Form, and the dress code is "smart casual." Shirts? Coats? Ties? Jeans? Trainers? I've worn this type of hat once for prom, but I'm not too sure how for casual wear, like just going to the mall, or park, without looking too overstated or weird...

And, out-of-topic, I also wanted to ask (I'm just not familiar enough with some etiquette lol), to what extent could you wear a hat? I know "indoors" means to be inside a building, so I assume it certainly isn't allowed in a small space, like a classroom? But say, inside a mall? In a friend's house, living room? Sitting down in a bus, train, car? How about the reception area or this big, large lobby in the college, or while eating in the canteen and you don't have anywhere to put down/hang your hat? Regarding my college, no specific rules to hats, so it's ok right? And the hat I'm referring to for this question is also a TRILBY hat, since I won't be wearing other kinds anyway (Or is it the same for any other hat?) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mate see episode 2 of Inbetweeners.

You will look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Large lobbies, and places regarded as public, are not 'indoors'. Anywhere smaller, and you'll look silly.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are black you will look like a complete and utter tosser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Thats racist. Black people look ridiculous in trilbys too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    Thats racist. Black people look ridiculous in trilbys too.
    Not sure how it is racist, generalisation yes but the only person I thought could pull off a trilby was my friend - everyone else I see , as I have said, looks like a tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    I'm asian lol, and do you seriously mean that? How about other places apart from college then? I went out with friends one time, one of them being Chinese and wore this plain black trilby with a brown coat, they simply complimented him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djwe06)
    I'm asian lol, and do you seriously mean that? How about other places apart from college then? I went out with friends one time, one of them being Chinese and wore this plain black trilby with a brown coat, they simply complimented him.
    I dunno man, hats in general -unless it is cold- look like you are trying too hard. And trying too hard is, as ever, massively gay. Something about the conscious thought in the morning ' Oh, I will put on this hat, look how good I look' just makes it a bit ridiculous.

That is a terrible hat. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    I used to wear trilby's all the time. Indoors and outdoors, and I manage not to look like an idiot. If it wasn't for my job, i'd be wearing one today
    But tbh I wouldn't wear that one.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Pete Doherty!

ReputationRep:
    This: http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat_etiquette.html

Even though the majority of people these days don't know any etiquette or good manners and you'll often pass as a weirdo. Who cares.

(Original post by djwe06)
    So I got two trilby hats http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...40&bih=712%29, Something like that, but a black one and a dark-grey/patterned one. What's the best outfit that would suit it for a 16-year old male? I plan to wear it to my Sixth Form, and the dress code is "smart casual." Shirts? Coats? Ties? Jeans? Trainers? I've worn this type of hat once for prom, but I'm not too sure how for casual wear, like just going to the mall, or park, without looking too overstated or weird...

And, out-of-topic, I also wanted to ask (I'm just not familiar enough with some etiquette lol), to what extent could you wear a hat? I know "indoors" means to be inside a building, so I assume it certainly isn't allowed in a small space, like a classroom? But say, inside a mall? In a friend's house, living room? Sitting down in a bus, train, car? How about the reception area or this big, large lobby in the college, or while eating in the canteen and you don't have anywhere to put down/hang your hat? Regarding my college, no specific rules to hats, so it's ok right? And the hat I'm referring to for this question is also a TRILBY hat, since I won't be wearing other kinds anyway (Or is it the same for any other hat?)
    A smart-casual dress code means don't go in the clothes you'd clean a toilet or paint a house in. Clean pants/jeans/kilt/whatever, trainers, t-shirt/shirt/jumper. Jacket, if you want, but not necessary. When I was at sixth-form, some of us went in on Wednesdays wearing suits - Formal Wednesday. Just our little gimmick.

When I'm at college, I wear daqrk trousers and shoes, a coloured shirt/t-shirt, a tweed-style jacket (I've a couple of brown ones - including a real Harris - and a grey one), and sometimes either my trilby or my panama. But I'm twenty-one and at a college with other adults, so I don't know how something like that'd go down for someone your age.

That picture doesn't show a trilby; trilbies are made from wool (or felt) and have significantly wider brims*. The hat in the picture looks more like a cross between a trilby and a panama, made from linen.

A man never wears a hat indoors. So if you're a bloke, you take it off when you enter a building. Shops, entrances, and lobbies, of course, are possibly exceptions, depending on the type (I'll wear a hat in a supermarket, but not a cafe or corner shop, and definitely not in a library), and it doesn't matter when you're in a car.

*This is a real trilby, whatever 'fashionable' people tell you:

If you want to get a real one, be prepared to pay; I paid out £35 for mine, same as for my deerstalker. The panama I'm wearing in my avatar cost me £50. Proper hats can be a very expensive business, even if you buy low-end like I do.

ReputationRep:
    Wear it wherever you want. I will, however, think less of you, and try to kill any offspring that you produce if the opportunity arises.

ReputationRep:
    People who wear these hats indoors should be shot.

ReputationRep:
    A man, regardless of race or colouring (often helps if you have a big head from my experience), can look very spiffy in a trilby. My bf raises his ‘sex’ factor by 300% when he wears his! But as Tootles said, invest in a proper one, rather than the metrosexual muck you get from places like River Island. If you can't afford to splash out more than £30, Next do alright ones that look like the genuine article for around £15.

And indeed, it goes against etiquette for a man to wear a hat indoors (not for a woman, bizzarely), but there are certain places you can get away with it (mainly shops, public transport, pubs, nightclubs...) I wouldn’t wear it to college or a lecture though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    *This is a real trilby, whatever 'fashionable' people tell you:
    I think you'll find that is a fedora.

(Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    I think you'll find that is a fedora.
    No, I won't. The top of a fedora is different (fedoras have a round bit, trilbies just have a bit that's lowered a bit), and the brims are slightly wider again. Also, the material is softer.

Like I said, I wear a trilby. I also have worn a fedora. I know the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    No, I won't. The top of a fedora is different (fedoras have a round bit, trilbies just have a bit that's lowered a bit), and the brims are slightly wider again. Also, the material is softer.

Like I said, I wear a trilby. I also have worn a fedora. I know the difference.
    It can be classed as both apparently :/
    http://villagehats.wordpress.com/200...lby-vs-fedora/

(Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    It can be classed as both apparently :/
    http://villagehats.wordpress.com/200...lby-vs-fedora/
    Hmm. I got my trilby from a hatter, who also sold fedoras. The fedoras had massive brims, about three and a half inches.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.