Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help Needed Asap All You Chemistry Students Please ! :d watch

ReputationRep:
    hey my teacher asked us to prepare a presentation on this question, "when do we use empirical, molecular and structural formula ?" ive googled it and i know what they are but when do we use them ?

ReputationRep:
    What level are you? AS maybe? Anyway, if you think about what they are, i.e. empirical is the lowest integer ratio between the number of atoms of each element, so think about why that might be useful, maybe something to do with the ratio of molecules needed to synthesise it? I've never had to think about this before but I think if you use logic and common sense you may not be too far wrong. . .

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a different question! I agree with indifferencepersonified for use of empirical. For molecular maybe something to do with moles calculations.... you can work out the Mr if you know the molecular formula? For structural it's a little easier; the least amount of information needed for you to draw out/ determine the structure of the molecule, since it tells you the order of the atoms etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.