Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone,

so i know that the stomach acid has a PH of around 1-2, but is the PH always the same? i mean what if you drink a lot of water in an instant, it would become diluted, surely? but i want to know if it behaves like a buffer solution, and resist this change by perhaps creating more of the acid? and if it does, would it take long or is it immediate?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Stomach distension (expansion of the stomach in response to incoming food/fluid) stimulates the release of a hormone called gastrin, which is one of the triggers for HCl production. This means that taking in lots of water in would, by expanding the stomach, increase the rate of HCl secretion. I suppose for this reason changes in pH are resisted even though water has been drunk. This response would be pretty fast- gastrin is released very close to where it acts- but I'm not sure exactly how long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioSam)
    Stomach distension (expansion of the stomach in response to incoming food/fluid) stimulates the release of a hormone called gastrin, which is one of the triggers for HCl production. This means that taking in lots of water in would, by expanding the stomach, increase the rate of HCl secretion. I suppose for this reason changes in pH are resisted even though water has been drunk. This response would be pretty fast- gastrin is released very close to where it acts- but I'm not sure exactly how long.
    thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.