Turn on thread page Beta

You're a bus driver. It's 12.05am. Passenger has day-to-go valid until 12. Do you... watch

• View Poll Results: Would you let the passenger off even though their bus ticket is invalid by 5 mins?
    Yes
    86.21%
    No
    13.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma16)
    he could have just let her off, its his fault he was late.
    Might not have been his fault, the driver before him might have been late to bring the bus wherever or the traffic might have been awful.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I swear bus passes (at least in London) last until 4 Am.
    Yeah, that's been the case in most places I know, meaning it shouldn't be an issue.

I did read somewhere that weekly/daily bus passes aren't valid for night buses, but drivers have let me off each time with this (entirely possible I read this clause wrong).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma16)
    he could have just let her off, its his fault he was late.
    Did he say it was his fault? Buses don't just run 15+ minutes late, if they're that late, there has either been a crash somewhere, a problem with the bus, or bad traffic.

If he'd let her off and he'd got disciplined for it, how would you feel? For the sake of a half price bus ticket, think about it man.

Bus drivers don't make the rules, they're just told to rigidly stick with them.

ReputationRep:
    If the pass is an electronic thing, then no - the system just wouldn't accept the pass at that time.
    (The number of old people who try and get the 0926 bus around here and pester the driver to wait until 0930 :rant: )

But otherwise, probably yeah.

Certainly would do if the journey was heavily funded by the council - and let's face it, most of them have to be at that time of night because the chances are they'll be running at an extreme loss!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Unfortunately buses don't run here past 11pm (apart from a night bus on Weekend nights every hour until 3am), so I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    If an earlier bus wasn't long before, the employee could try to ask his/her work if they can leave work early so that they can use that ticket because they have no money on them to pay for one for the following day (after 12am).

It's entirely the choice of their employer as to whether they accept but, if it was a one off and not too much time, and being so dark and without money, I am sure that any kindly employer would agree to let them go slightly early or make up the time in some way.

If that option is not open for whatever reason, the bus driver could give the person a single ticket for that journey only and ask them to pay for it later at the bus company. The potential passenger should not grumble at all at being given this choice - it's their fault that they left money at home and their choice whether to pay later for a single fare or not get on the bus.

If most people were in that situation though they would be pleased to be accepted on board with their slightly expired, invalid, ticket.

If the bus was due before 12am and didn't arrive until after 12am, though, the bus driver should definitely accept the ticket but that's not what's described here.

ReputationRep:
    I would let them off.... 5 minutes is nothing... the clock can even be 5 minutes fast...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Rules are rules.

Let's also all let off the paedophile because the child was nearly 16.
    :rofl: Possibly the biggest exaggeration I've seen on TSR It's a little different, no?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how the passenger reacts to me. If they're apologetic about it, not all bolshy and starting an argument, I'd probably let them on and justify it to any superior ("I wouldn't want to be the person who left a young woman to wait around in the middle of the night at a bus station" sort of thing) or cover the cost myself; if they're acting like they have the right to, I'd remind them they are actually breaking the rules and tell them to p*ss off, probably.

Tip: the way to get your way when you're actually in the wrong is not to have an argument with the person who holds the card. A woman once tried use a voucher that had expired the day before on something where I worked. She was abusive towards me, rude and sarcastic ... and of course I didn't go out of my way to get her voucher validated anyway. I just told her to pay full price or not get the item, it was her choice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If an inspector comes on, I'll say they got on earlier. Then nobody loses!

ReputationRep:
    why don't you buy this "day-to-go" ticket at 0005 and then use it on the way to work as the return journey problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LivingMemory)
    :rofl: Possibly the biggest exaggeration I've seen on TSR It's a little different, no?
    But where do you draw the line? The laws and rules exist so we don't have to decide what is acceptable, and what is not.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's not against the law, ffs, just stupid bus company regulations. Course I'd let them get on, but not if they were doing it every night.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I'd let them go.

ReputationRep:
    i would but only for the sake of avoiding an argument
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    But where do you draw the line? The laws and rules exist so we don't have to decide what is acceptable, and what is not.
    Laws against crimes and rules set by a private bus company are slightly different things. I don't think bus companies set their policies according to what they think is morally right, they are there to make a profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuppenny)
    Laws against crimes and rules set by a private bus company are slightly different things. I don't think bus companies set their policies according to what they think is morally right, they are there to make a profit.
    They still exist, and the analogy wasn't a bad one.

ReputationRep:

That's true I admit, but a paedophile getting away with a crime would (further) ruin the victim's life. The ticket is just a small thing. You're right that the line is hard to draw, and I would say that representatives of the victim should be able to say whether to let an issue go (e.g., the driver on behalf of the company). The child on the other hand is hardly going to choose to allow the paedophile to get away with it, and that's the difference. It's the choice of the one being disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't excuse them.
    I'm the Bus driver.
    It's the only power I have, damn it I'm going to use it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They still exist, and the analogy wasn't a bad one.
    It was a bad one, because you can't compare privately set rules and laws set by the state. They are motivated by entirely different ideas.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.