Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

You're a bus driver. It's 12.05am. Passenger has day-to-go valid until 12. Do you... watch

• View Poll Results: Would you let the passenger off even though their bus ticket is invalid by 5 mins?
    Yes
    86.21%
    No
    13.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuppenny)
    It's not against the law, ffs, just stupid bus company regulations. Course I'd let them get on, but not if they were doing it every night.
    It's hardly a 'stupid' bus company regulation to have a 24 hours time limit on a day pass and to charge people, now or later, who don't have a valid ticket when the timetable says that the bus wasn't due until 12.05am.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how polite they were. If they were arsey or rude I'd refuse. If they seemed apologetic and used please and thankyou I'd let them off!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    It's hardly a 'stupid' bus company regulation to have a 24 hours time limit on a day pass and to charge people, now or later, who don't have a valid ticket when the timetable says that the bus wasn't due until 12.05am.
    I meant 'stupid' in relation to the fact that it wasn't a particularly important law that was going to bring society down around our ears if it was broken. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    It was a bad one, because you can't compare privately set rules and laws set by the state. They are motivated by entirely different ideas.
    They're both motivated by trying to keep order and a code of conduct to simplify the lives of all users.

ReputationRep:
    I would just let them off. Who honestly gives a **** about 30 pence more profit for the shareholders? Some people in this thread need to lighten up and get a life!

ReputationRep:
    If I ran the bus company I'd want my drivers to let people off for this sort of thing. My company would look really bad in the press if we didn't(if there was a magazine for this sort of asinine crap)

ReputationRep:
    Obviously. Anyone stingy enough to turf the passenger out should die alone.

ReputationRep:
    I meant 'stupid' in relation to the fact that it wasn't a particularly important law that was going to bring society down around our ears if it was broken. :facepalm:
    Ok then, where would you draw the line where it becomes important? Bus rules are fine to break, paedophilia ones are not. How about robbery? Drunk driving, perjury, slavery - where does it stop being acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, unless I was in a bad mood or it was someone I didn't like.

ReputationRep:
    True. Still, I can't help feeling that if we had a few more of these people who stuck rigidly to the rules we wouldn't have had a credit crunch. .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Ok then, where would you draw the line where it becomes important? Bus rules are fine to break, paedophilia ones are not. How about robbery? Drunk driving, perjury, slavery - where does it stop being acceptable?
    As I said before, private rules set by companies are not as important as laws set by the government. Which, last time I checked, do cover paedophilia, robbery, drunk driving, perjury and slavery. I did say this already.

ReputationRep:
    Not all bus drivers are complete jerks anyway. I've had a few occasions where they haven't even charged me because i've been waiting for so long.

ReputationRep:
    I would let him/her off, I'll give her/him the benefit of the doubt

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the pleading passenger side of things enough times, so I'd definitely show compassion. But even if it weren't for that I'd still probably let them on, it's such a small amount of time it would be hugely mean to stick to the rules so! Unless that person was an absolute prick of course :P

ReputationRep:
    If he/she was polite and seemed like an okay person I would yeah.

Oh but I'm a bus driver, so 90% of the time I'm a rude, pretentious, dastardly scoundrel.

ReputationRep:
    As I said before, private rules set by companies are not as important as laws set by the government. Which, last time I checked, do cover paedophilia, robbery, drunk driving, perjury and slavery. I did say this already.
    So it's fine to break rules, but not laws? Why does anyone bother then? Why do we try to run an orderly society so we don't descend into anarchy and we just do what we want? Imagine life if we all pushed into queues because we're in a hurry, or parked in disabled parking bays because they're closer to the shop, or took up the whole pavement whilst riding our bikes three abreast.

But it's fine to do that, because they're not laws!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    ...excuse him / her or do you let him / her off?
    Why?

Risk a disciplinary for what? Why would I owe you (I presume that's who we're talking about here) a favour?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd turn a blind eye

ReputationRep:
    I would let them off. I'm not a stuck-up moron, it's only 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Being in Italy the last few weeks has really made me realise how up tight the UK is. Does it really matter if they're over by 5 minutes? Anyway, I would just walk on, bus drivers can't do squat anyway...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.